spitting internet connection in flatshare

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mole, Dec 29, 2010.

  1. mole

    mole Guest

    We are in four in our house: a couple living on the ground floor, my next
    door flatmate and myself living upstairs.
    I signed a contract with a phone company and I am happy to pay for 10 Mbps I
    receive.
    Recently they all come to me saying: why don't we share the internet
    coonection?
    Ok, I say, 5 pounds each for a total of 20 pounds. After all, everybody will
    use the internet. Seemed fair. But no...

    The couple, overexcited, say: NOOO, we want to split it by 3. Three rooms in
    the house, three lines, 7 pounds each. We pay for the "line" you are giving
    us and can use it as much as we want.
    The guy next door goes: NOOO, we need a meter.........pay as you go!!!

    To me that is pure bullshit and don't want to do it. This is what I think.
    Suppose we do the split by 3. Roughly, each room would get, theoretically, 3
    Mbps.
    The couple downstair will suck more bandwith throughout the day because they
    are in two, I will therefore experience a poorer quality of service for a
    longer time and my 3 Mbps become a lot less overall.
    They said that even if they shared the room with 10 people, they would still
    only pay for their "line".

    The metering option would be better but at that time I thought I would still
    get such a recuced quality on MY line that I would be better off not sharing
    at all.

    I told them that both options are crap and there is only one way. The way I
    want.
    Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
    line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
    free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
    use their internet.

    I see no other fair alternative but they keep saying I am wrong and cannot
    "see" their point. So I am the asshole.

    I posted here 'cause they really piss me off and would like your opinions or
    suggestions. I decided to share, so not sharing is not an option.

    Thanks and sorry for the long message
    mole, Dec 29, 2010

  2. mole

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:05:08 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:56:01 -0000, "mole" <> wrote:
    >
    >>We are in four in our house: a couple living on the ground floor, my next
    >>door flatmate and myself living upstairs.
    >>I signed a contract with a phone company and I am happy to pay for 10 Mbps I
    >>receive.
    >>Recently they all come to me saying: why don't we share the internet
    >>coonection?
    >>Ok, I say, 5 pounds each for a total of 20 pounds. After all, everybody will
    >>use the internet. Seemed fair. But no...
    >>
    >>The couple, overexcited, say: NOOO, we want to split it by 3. Three rooms in
    >>the house, three lines, 7 pounds each. We pay for the "line" you are giving
    >>us and can use it as much as we want.
    >>The guy next door goes: NOOO, we need a meter.........pay as you go!!!
    >>
    >>To me that is pure bullshit and don't want to do it. This is what I think.
    >>Suppose we do the split by 3. Roughly, each room would get, theoretically, 3
    >>Mbps.
    >>The couple downstair will suck more bandwith throughout the day because they
    >>are in two, I will therefore experience a poorer quality of service for a
    >>longer time and my 3 Mbps become a lot less overall.
    >>They said that even if they shared the room with 10 people, they would still
    >>only pay for their "line".
    >>
    >>The metering option would be better but at that time I thought I would still
    >>get such a recuced quality on MY line that I would be better off not sharing
    >>at all.
    >>

    >>I told them that both options are crap and there is only one way. The way I
    >>want.
    >>Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
    >>line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
    >>free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
    >>use their internet.
    >>
    >>I see no other fair alternative but they keep saying I am wrong and cannot
    >>"see" their point. So I am the asshole.
    >>
    >>I posted here 'cause they really piss me off and would like your opinions or
    >>suggestions. I decided to share, so not sharing is not an option.
    >>
    >>Thanks and sorry for the long message

    > Tell them to get their own internet connection.
    >
    > You do realize that since the connection is in YOUR name, if they say
    > hack into the White House, download a ton of movies, then upload all
    > the mp3's and illegal movies all over the place, guess who the police
    > / Secret Service are going to come after. Yep, you.
    >
    > Good luck proving to them it was your roomate / neighbor.

    Hey Evan, are you finally saying that it is now possible to have more than
    one person use the same IP? Absolutely amazing. After how many times of you
    bashing me down and saying that ain't possible.

    Ever hear of logging? With proper software, he can keep track of every
    little thing that passes through the router.
    richard, Dec 29, 2010

  3. mole

    MyNews Guest

    MyNews, Dec 29, 2010
  4. mole

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:56:01 -0000, mole wrote:

    > We are in four in our house: a couple living on the ground floor, my next
    > door flatmate and myself living upstairs.
    > I signed a contract with a phone company and I am happy to pay for 10 Mbps I
    > receive.
    > Recently they all come to me saying: why don't we share the internet
    > coonection?
    > Ok, I say, 5 pounds each for a total of 20 pounds. After all, everybody will
    > use the internet. Seemed fair. But no...
    >
    > The couple, overexcited, say: NOOO, we want to split it by 3. Three rooms in
    > the house, three lines, 7 pounds each. We pay for the "line" you are giving
    > us and can use it as much as we want.
    > The guy next door goes: NOOO, we need a meter.........pay as you go!!!
    >
    > To me that is pure bullshit and don't want to do it. This is what I think.
    > Suppose we do the split by 3. Roughly, each room would get, theoretically, 3
    > Mbps.
    > The couple downstair will suck more bandwith throughout the day because they
    > are in two, I will therefore experience a poorer quality of service for a
    > longer time and my 3 Mbps become a lot less overall.
    > They said that even if they shared the room with 10 people, they would still
    > only pay for their "line".
    >
    > The metering option would be better but at that time I thought I would still
    > get such a recuced quality on MY line that I would be better off not sharing
    > at all.
    >

    > I told them that both options are crap and there is only one way. The way I
    > want.
    > Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
    > line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
    > free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
    > use their internet.
    >
    > I see no other fair alternative but they keep saying I am wrong and cannot
    > "see" their point. So I am the asshole.
    >
    > I posted here 'cause they really piss me off and would like your opinions or
    > suggestions. I decided to share, so not sharing is not an option.
    >
    > Thanks and sorry for the long message

    Tell them to get their own damn phone lines.
    richard, Dec 29, 2010
  5. mole

    Jordon Guest

    mole wrote:

    > Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
    > line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
    > free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
    > use their internet.

    This seems reasonable, but with the bitching going on someone
    is bound to test the speed and when they're not getting their
    full 3 Mbps, they'll short-pay you.
    Jordon, Dec 29, 2010
  6. mole

    mole Guest

    > Tell them to get their own internet connection.
    >
    > You do realize that since the connection is in YOUR name, if they say
    > hack into the White House, download a ton of movies, then upload all
    > the mp3's and illegal movies all over the place, guess who the police
    > / Secret Service are going to come after. Yep, you.
    >
    > Good luck proving to them it was your roomate / neighbor.

    Had not thought of that....
    But let's assume they are safe. And I have to share. What is the fairest
    solution? How would you do it?
    mole, Dec 29, 2010
  7. mole

    VanguardLH Guest

    mole wrote:

    > We are in four in our house: a couple living on the ground floor, my next
    > door flatmate and myself living upstairs.
    > I signed a contract with a phone company and I am happy to pay for 10 Mbps I
    > receive.
    > Recently they all come to me saying: why don't we share the internet
    > coonection?
    > Ok, I say, 5 pounds each for a total of 20 pounds. After all, everybody will
    > use the internet. Seemed fair. But no...
    >
    > The couple, overexcited, say: NOOO, we want to split it by 3. Three rooms in
    > the house, three lines, 7 pounds each. We pay for the "line" you are giving
    > us and can use it as much as we want.
    > The guy next door goes: NOOO, we need a meter.........pay as you go!!!
    >
    > To me that is pure bullshit and don't want to do it. This is what I think.
    > Suppose we do the split by 3. Roughly, each room would get, theoretically, 3
    > Mbps.
    > The couple downstair will suck more bandwith throughout the day because they
    > are in two, I will therefore experience a poorer quality of service for a
    > longer time and my 3 Mbps become a lot less overall.
    > They said that even if they shared the room with 10 people, they would still
    > only pay for their "line".
    >
    > The metering option would be better but at that time I thought I would still
    > get such a recuced quality on MY line that I would be better off not sharing
    > at all.
    >
    > I told them that both options are crap and there is only one way. The way I
    > want.
    > Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
    > line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
    > free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
    > use their internet.
    >
    > I see no other fair alternative but they keep saying I am wrong and cannot
    > "see" their point. So I am the asshole.
    >
    > I posted here 'cause they really piss me off and would like your opinions or
    > suggestions. I decided to share, so not sharing is not an option.
    >
    > Thanks and sorry for the long message

    You really have that much of a problem in deciding whether or not to
    share YOUR resource and, if so, just HOW *you* decide to share it? Just
    make whatever plan YOU like, offer it, and if they don't like it then
    they don't get to participate. If they don't like your solution then
    let them find their own.

    You have to share YOUR car because you all live in the same residence?
    No. If you choose to share your car, they get to decide how they get to
    use YOUR property? No. If you're the homeowner and you're paying the
    bills then you get to decide whether or not you share at all and if you
    share then you get to decide just how you will share. If they don't
    like it then **** 'em and let them find their own separate solutions.
    You offered. That's all that is required if you're concerned about
    being polite and friendly. You don't have to kowtow to anyone's
    greediness or view regarding fairness. It's not their property. It's
    not their resource. Grow a backbone.

    If you do decide to share, just HOW are you going to meter how much
    bandwidth any one of the users will get to avoid them sucking it all up,
    like downloading porn videos or movies, so no one else can get any
    traffic? Have you even started investigating the QoS features in
    routers? Or are you really going to setup a gateway host through which
    all the users are switched to the Internet to perform network shaping to
    ensure each user gets what they were promised and cannot interfere with
    use by other users? Before you go deciding on sharing, you better
    decide on how much money or time you will spend setting this all up.

    Also, are you sure your ISP lets you redistribute their service to
    others? That's not likely. You will end up violating their TOS which
    could result in not just you but everyone there losing the service.
    VanguardLH, Dec 29, 2010
  8. mole

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:26:42 +0000, mole wrote:

    >> Tell them to get their own internet connection.
    >>
    >> You do realize that since the connection is in YOUR name, if they say
    >> hack into the White House, download a ton of movies, then upload all
    >> the mp3's and illegal movies all over the place, guess who the police /
    >> Secret Service are going to come after. Yep, you.
    >>
    >> Good luck proving to them it was your roomate / neighbor.

    > Had not thought of that....
    > But let's assume they are safe. And I have to share. What is the fairest
    > solution? How would you do it?

    A router or 3rd party software that supports QOS bandwidth limiting.
    Don't know the specifics for home use but if you wanted to spend the
    money a router and managed switch would do the job.

    Meat Plow, Dec 29, 2010
  9. mole

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:20:35 -0700, richard wrote:

    > Hey Evan, are you finally saying that it is now possible to have more
    > than one person use the same IP?

    Not that I noticed.

    > Absolutely amazing. After how many
    > times of you bashing me down and saying that ain't possible.

    It isn't.

    --
    Couldn't think of a sig. This'll have to do.
    Aardvark, Dec 29, 2010
  10. mole

    Mike Easter Guest

    mole wrote:

    > But let's assume they are safe. And I have to share. What is the fairest
    > solution? How would you do it?

    There is more to this 'problem' than you have addressed.

    You are (would be) assuming the responsibility of 'network
    administrator' who is responsible for the network's distribution assets
    and whether they are working properly or not and how they will be
    apportioned and how any bandwidth hogs will be admin/ed as well as how
    the cost of the resources should be apportioned.

    Your admin will require rules about the potential for not only being a
    bandwidth hog, but also what about illegal activities and what kinds of
    logs you will keep to manage both the bandwidth records and the policing.

    Of course you also need to know about the TOS for your provider.

    If you decide to take on the responsibility, then the cost should be
    more than just the cost of the bandwidth, but it should also include the
    concept of your router or access points or whatever.

    The 'base' price could be divided by whichever is the appropriate
    integral such as 3 or 4, but the bandwidth usage needs oversight so that
    the proportional charges can be levied on whoever is using the most. I
    suspect that the very same people who think they should be paying 1/3
    together instead of 2/4 together will be the ones eating bandwidth like mad.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 29, 2010
  11. mole

    MyNews Guest

    MyNews, Dec 29, 2010
  12. mole

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:50:32 GMT, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:20:35 -0700, richard wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Evan, are you finally saying that it is now possible to have more
    >> than one person use the same IP?

    > Not that I noticed.
    >
    >> Absolutely amazing. After how many
    >> times of you bashing me down and saying that ain't possible.

    > It isn't.

    Really? Explain this then.
    There is a motel that has 200 units.
    How many connections to a hard line does the motel have if all 200 guests
    are online with their wifi system?
    Assuming the motel has one hard line connected to an ISP.
    How many IP's does the ISP issue? 1 or 200?

    Isn't this the purpose of the router? To redirect signals to the
    appropriate machine?

    You have 5 machines in your home all connected to a router.
    You have one line to the internet.
    Does your ISP issue 5 IP's or 1?

    A web hosting service has an IP issued to them.
    How many domains can be on that one IP?

    I own/rent a server which has one IP assigned to it. Yet I have two domains
    on it. How is that possible?
    richard, Dec 29, 2010
  13. mole

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jordon wrote:

    > mole wrote:
    >
    >> Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
    >> line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
    >> free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
    >> use their internet.

    > This seems reasonable, but with the bitching going on someone
    > is bound to test the speed and when they're not getting their
    > full 3 Mbps, they'll short-pay you.

    As with rent, the customer prepays for the service or product. That
    way, if they abuse their contract then you don't renew it the next
    month. They end up paying in full beforehand. If they abuse the
    service, they don't get it again (unless they are willing to pay a
    penalty fee).

    These bitching users would pay NOW to get the shared service. If they
    abuse the agreement (which had better be written down so all know what
    it is) then they don't get to share later. At most, they impact the
    others for one month, or less if the abuse results in immediate
    termination.

    However, it is likely mole isn't allowed to resell his ISP's service.
    It violates their TOS. He could share without any recompense if the
    service was going to a residental household (rather than to a multi-unit
    dwelling). It doesn't look like mole want to be altruistic and just
    give away his Internet service to the leechers.
    VanguardLH, Dec 29, 2010
  14. mole

    MyNews Guest

    MyNews, Dec 29, 2010
  15. mole

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:42:47 -0600, MyNews wrote:

    > one!

    Precisely.
    richard, Dec 29, 2010
  16. mole

    Jordon Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:05:08 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:56:01 -0000, "mole"<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> We are in four in our house: a couple living on the ground floor, my next
    >>> door flatmate and myself living upstairs.
    >>> I signed a contract with a phone company and I am happy to pay for 10 Mbps I
    >>> receive.
    >>> Recently they all come to me saying: why don't we share the internet
    >>> coonection?
    >>> Ok, I say, 5 pounds each for a total of 20 pounds. After all, everybody will
    >>> use the internet. Seemed fair. But no...
    >>>
    >>> The couple, overexcited, say: NOOO, we want to split it by 3. Three rooms in
    >>> the house, three lines, 7 pounds each. We pay for the "line" you are giving
    >>> us and can use it as much as we want.
    >>> The guy next door goes: NOOO, we need a meter.........pay as you go!!!
    >>>
    >>> To me that is pure bullshit and don't want to do it. This is what I think.
    >>> Suppose we do the split by 3. Roughly, each room would get, theoretically, 3
    >>> Mbps.
    >>> The couple downstair will suck more bandwith throughout the day because they
    >>> are in two, I will therefore experience a poorer quality of service for a
    >>> longer time and my 3 Mbps become a lot less overall.
    >>> They said that even if they shared the room with 10 people, they would still
    >>> only pay for their "line".
    >>>
    >>> The metering option would be better but at that time I thought I would still
    >>> get such a recuced quality on MY line that I would be better off not sharing
    >>> at all.
    >>>

    >>> I told them that both options are crap and there is only one way. The way I
    >>> want.
    >>> Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
    >>> line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
    >>> free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
    >>> use their internet.
    >>>
    >>> I see no other fair alternative but they keep saying I am wrong and cannot
    >>> "see" their point. So I am the asshole.
    >>>
    >>> I posted here 'cause they really piss me off and would like your opinions or
    >>> suggestions. I decided to share, so not sharing is not an option.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and sorry for the long message

    >> Tell them to get their own internet connection.
    >>
    >> You do realize that since the connection is in YOUR name, if they say
    >> hack into the White House, download a ton of movies, then upload all
    >> the mp3's and illegal movies all over the place, guess who the police
    >> / Secret Service are going to come after. Yep, you.
    >>
    >> Good luck proving to them it was your roomate / neighbor.

    > Hey Evan, are you finally saying that it is now possible to have more than
    > one person use the same IP? Absolutely amazing. After how many times of you
    > bashing me down and saying that ain't possible.

    FOAD jerkwad. Don't think that it's so long ago that the
    regulars can't remember exactly how that conversation went
    down. It was you that couldn't understand the difference
    between a public and private ip.
    Jordon, Dec 29, 2010
  17. mole

    MyNews Guest

    But one IP to a network routers
    The Routers will give out 200 IP's too the network and router it to the One
    IP to the WWW
    For we see that one IP, All the room IP not seen, or Firewall by Network
    Routers!
    !

    --
    http://mynews.ath.cx
    MyNews, Dec 29, 2010
  18. mole

    MyNews Guest

    I have two router with 200
    I have two router with 24
    I have one router with 5

    --
    http://mynews.ath.cx
    MyNews, Dec 29, 2010
  19. mole

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Really? Explain this then.
    >There is a motel that has 200 units.
    >How many connections to a hard line does the motel have if all 200 guests
    >are online with their wifi system?

    However many they contract for, possibly only one. They might
    have two, one for the guests and one for motel business.

    >Assuming the motel has one hard line connected to an ISP.
    >How many IP's does the ISP issue? 1 or 200?

    The ISP issues one or more as contracted and the motel issues 200
    to the guests.

    >Isn't this the purpose of the router? To redirect signals to the
    >appropriate machine?

    Yes, by using the device's individual IP address.

    >You have 5 machines in your home all connected to a router.
    >You have one line to the internet.
    >Does your ISP issue 5 IP's or 1?

    I can have a dozen devices connected at once, the ISP issues one
    IP address to the router and the router issues as many as needed
    (within its capacity) to the Xbox, home theater, laptops, printer
    and WiFi enabled phones. So a dozen end-user devices would
    require fourteen IP addresses, one of which will be routed to the
    internet.

    >A web hosting service has an IP issued to them.
    >How many domains can be on that one IP?

    As many domains as the single device using that IP cares to
    control.

    >I own/rent a server which has one IP assigned to it. Yet I have two domains
    >on it. How is that possible?

    The outfit you rent the service from has powers and abilities far
    beyond yours.

    Mike "keep trying, you might get it one day" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Dec 30, 2010
  20. mole

    Mike Yetto Guest

    mole <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >> Tell them to get their own internet connection.
    >>
    >> You do realize that since the connection is in YOUR name, if they say
    >> hack into the White House, download a ton of movies, then upload all
    >> the mp3's and illegal movies all over the place, guess who the police
    >> / Secret Service are going to come after. Yep, you.
    >>
    >> Good luck proving to them it was your roomate / neighbor.

    >Had not thought of that....
    >But let's assume they are safe. And I have to share. What is the fairest
    >solution? How would you do it?

    I would not do it. And if I felt obliged to do so I would check
    with the ISP to see if it violates their Terms Of Service. Such
    a violation could cause *me* to lose service and I would need to
    beg one of my neighbors to risk sharing a connection.

    Mike "your risk, your responsibility, your rules" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Dec 30, 2010