    Or is this problem quite rare?

    Sitting on the fence re. SpinRite,
    Andrew

    Andrew, May 25, 2005

  2. Andrew

    AG Guest

    "Andrew" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Is SpinRite worth $89 US??
    >
    > All you practicing techs out there, do you get alot of customers
    > calling for help because their hard drive is dying and they might
    > lose their data?
    >
    > Or is this problem quite rare?
    >
    > Sitting on the fence re. SpinRite,
    > Andrew

    If you have a customer that needs it then yes. It can recover data that
    nothing else except a data recovery company can for much less.
    I've never needed it yet so I've never bought it.
    My basic plan is that if someone needs that kind of service I'll download it
    then and charge them $100 plus my regular fees for using it. Like Rightard
    said it took 22 hrs. for it to work on that server drive. I figure if
    anything takes that long it's probably worth that much for the customer and
    I'll get it then. It's not a very big file, less than 1.44 meg since it
    fits on a floppy.

    YMMV

    AG

    AG, May 25, 2005

  3. Andrew

    AG Guest

    "Rightard Whitey" <> wrote in message
    > AG wrote:
    >> "Andrew" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Is SpinRite worth $89 US??
    >>>
    >>>All you practicing techs out there, do you get alot of customers
    >>>calling for help because their hard drive is dying and they might
    >>>lose their data?
    >>>
    >>>Or is this problem quite rare?
    >>>
    >>>Sitting on the fence re. SpinRite,
    >>>Andrew
    >>>

    >> If you have a customer that needs it then yes. It can recover data that
    >> nothing else except a data recovery company can for much less.
    >> I've never needed it yet so I've never bought it.
    >> My basic plan is that if someone needs that kind of service I'll download
    >> it then and charge them $100 plus my regular fees for using it. Like
    >> Rightard said it took 22 hrs. for it to work on that server drive. I
    >> figure if anything takes that long it's probably worth that much for the
    >> customer and I'll get it then. It's not a very big file, less than 1.44
    >> meg since it fits on a floppy.
    >>
    >> YMMV
    >>
    >> AG

    > Take look at S.M.A.R.T technology, too because it will warn you when a
    > harddrive is about to fail. See
    > http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html
    >
    > Unless a HD is new, I would swap it out after doing a data recovery
    >
    > --
    > The Democratic Party; the people who brought you the weekend.

    SMART is good. I haven't ever had a disk that needed that much work. Most
    of mine have failed catostrophically back in the day before SMART was around
    or in the case of the last drive that died the MB didn't support it so I had
    no clue that there was any problem. Fortunately it was the boot sector that
    died so all I had to do was boot to Knoppix and copy my data over to a
    different drive. A hassle but not fatal.

    AG

    AG, May 26, 2005
  4. Andrew

    A Guest

    I don't know but it's certainly time consuming to drag files off a failing
    drive. The first problem is explaining the situation to the customer. You
    hear the click click click and spend the next half hour going over what this
    means and asking them to list the locations of their data which they haven't
    backed up. They get in a panic etc etc and 3 hours later you have saved
    their docs to a few floppies. I must try the "put the drive in the freezer
    for an hour" trick one day. A.

    A, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Andrew

    AG Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    >I don't know but it's certainly time consuming to drag files off a failing
    >drive. The first problem is explaining the situation to the customer. You
    >hear the click click click and spend the next half hour going over what
    >this means and asking them to list the locations of their data which they
    >haven't backed up. They get in a panic etc etc and 3 hours later you have
    >saved their docs to a few floppies. I must try the "put the drive in the
    >freezer for an hour" trick one day. A.

    I've done it successfully but... There's always a but isn't there.
    As soon as the drive got hot it failed again.
    The only thing we could figure out was to get some dry ice and wrap the
    drive up with that and some newspaper but after we told the customer what we
    were going to charge for it he backed off and said maybe the data wasn't
    that important.

    AG

    AG, Jun 2, 2005