    the price of a new drive.

    Rob

    Might have some software or hardware here for a little trade off deal.
    Phstpok, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Phstpok

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Phstpok <> wrote in news:4316d361$:

    > Anoe in Welly got a reasonably utd copy of spinrite I could borrow to
    > check a seemingly deceased 80gb seagate? Id hate to lose this drive
    > completely, but the purchase price of spinrite US$89 converts to about
    > the price of a new drive.
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > Might have some software or hardware here for a little trade off deal.

    Spinrite is great, but have you got data on there you need?
    If not, try the drive manufacturers diag tool?
    Most of the time, a zero fill will remap bad sectors, using the slack
    sectors specifically reserved for that purpose.
    MFM/RLL was a long time ago now and controllers are "supposed" to take care
    of this stuff 8) (Remeber Spinrite 3? I do and WOW, it worked wonders)
    SMART says what?
    Spinrite 5 needs a FAT or FAT32 partition to do its work.
    Spinrite 6 can do NTFS and I think can directly access the drive (finally)

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    Dave Taylor stubbed out the damp squib on 2/09/2005 9:11 p.m.and tried
    to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > Phstpok <> wrote in news:4316d361$:
    >

    >>Anoe in Welly got a reasonably utd copy of spinrite I could borrow to
    >>check a seemingly deceased 80gb seagate? Id hate to lose this drive
    >>completely, but the purchase price of spinrite US$89 converts to about
    >>the price of a new drive.
    >>
    >>Rob
    >>
    >>Might have some software or hardware here for a little trade off deal.
    >>

    > Spinrite is great, but have you got data on there you need?
    > If not, try the drive manufacturers diag tool?
    > Most of the time, a zero fill will remap bad sectors, using the slack
    > sectors specifically reserved for that purpose.
    > MFM/RLL was a long time ago now and controllers are "supposed" to take care
    > of this stuff 8) (Remeber Spinrite 3? I do and WOW, it worked wonders)
    > SMART says what?
    > Spinrite 5 needs a FAT or FAT32 partition to do its work.
    > Spinrite 6 can do NTFS and I think can directly access the drive (finally)

    No data on the drive that I need, just want to try and get the drive
    going. I suspect the drive is completely dead, but hate to throw it
    away. I'll try seagate's software, but basically bios can't see it so
    probably byebye.

    Cheers

    Rob
    Phstpok, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Phstpok

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Phstpok <> wrote in news:431c162a$:

    > I'll try seagate's software, but basically bios can't see it so
    > probably byebye.

    Try diff cable and diff machine, next is same drive controller PCB on the
    drive but from a known good one with identical bios. There is help on
    google.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    Dave Taylor stubbed out the damp squib on 5/09/2005 10:36 p.m.and tried
    to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > Phstpok <> wrote in news:431c162a$:
    >

    >>I'll try seagate's software, but basically bios can't see it so
    >>probably byebye.
    >>

    > Try diff cable and diff machine, next is same drive controller PCB on the
    > drive but from a known good one with identical bios. There is help on
    > google.

    Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
    never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on trying.

    The only other seagate drive i have is older 20gb, so doubt controller
    would work. I have a few linux based recovery cds, so I;ll try them as
    well. Y never know.

    Just hate losing gear. Got a cdrw here as well that bios sees, xp sees,
    but insert disc and nothing there. Cleaned the laser (very gently), but
    no luck there either. Starting to get a pile of doorstops or fancy bookends.

    Anyone got use for a 1gb micropolis scsi drive? Came out of a powermac
    7200/90 which someone had fitted with an amd450/mb combo and the
    noisiest psu I've ever heard. Someone's idea of using resources on hand
    I suppose. Was running 98se.
    Phstpok, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Phstpok

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Phstpok <> wrote in news:431c3c89$:

    > Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
    > never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on trying.

    Torx AKA Posidrive screws. Often used in electronics, but a pain because
    you really need the correct head to overcome the initial torque to release
    them. Take the drive to a Jaycars, undo them there?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 5, 2005
  7. Phstpok

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in

    > Phstpok <> wrote in news:431c3c89$:
    >

    >> Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
    >> never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on
    >> trying.
    >>

    > Torx AKA Posidrive screws. Often used in electronics, but a pain
    > because you really need the correct head to overcome the initial
    > torque to release them. Take the drive to a Jaycars, undo them there?

    oh yeah, the magnets inside dead hard drives are great, very strong.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 5, 2005
  8. Phstpok

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:18:26 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > oh yeah, the magnets inside dead hard drives are great, very strong.

    I use the magnets for fridge magnets ( try and get THEM off sucker :)
    and the shiny disks are fun in the office, for reflecting sunlight on to
    dumbfucks monitor (Of course I dont do that, it was the other rotters..
    honest)

    Shane, Sep 5, 2005
  9. Phstpok

    Bret Guest

    On 6 Sep 2005 08:17:06 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Phstpok <> wrote in news:431c3c89$:
    >

    >> Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
    >> never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on trying.
    >>

    >Torx AKA Posidrive screws.

    Pozidrive is a modified Phillips screw head, not like a Torx screw at
    all.

    Bret, Sep 5, 2005
  10. Phstpok

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in

    > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:18:26 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> oh yeah, the magnets inside dead hard drives are great, very strong.

    > I use the magnets for fridge magnets ( try and get THEM off sucker :)
    > and the shiny disks are fun in the office, for reflecting sunlight on to
    > dumbfucks monitor (Of course I dont do that, it was the other rotters..
    > honest)

    Platters make good ninja frisbees. Hieeyaaaaaa

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 6, 2005
  11. Phstpok

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Sep 6, 2005
  12. Phstpok

    Bret Guest

    On 6 Sep 2005 17:42:36 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Bret <> wrote in news:7ciph1hqq60rv6mdhv4er01v2h48d2hke1@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Pozidrive is a modified Phillips screw head, not like a Torx screw at
    >> all.
    >>

    >Thanks for clarifying. I wish everybody just used Robertsons myself. A
    >Canadian invention.
    >http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/robertson_screws.htm
    >http://www.robertsonscrew.com/
    >I loath Phillips screws.

    Are the square head screws we get here Robertson screws?
    Bret, Sep 6, 2005
  13. Phstpok

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Bret <> wrote in news:qu3sh1piofmao61qj6vpmiutqdsigu9qc5@
    4ax.com:

    > On 6 Sep 2005 17:42:36 +1200, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bret <> wrote in news:7ciph1hqq60rv6mdhv4er01v2h48d2hke1@
    >>4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> Pozidrive is a modified Phillips screw head, not like a Torx screw at
    >>> all.
    >>>

    >>Thanks for clarifying. I wish everybody just used Robertsons myself.

    >>Canadian invention.
    >>http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/robertson_screws.htm
    >>http://www.robertsonscrew.com/
    >>I loath Phillips screws.

    > Are the square head screws we get here Robertson screws?

    I have been told that they are and also that they are not. I do know
    that my screw driver fits them. It is like saying is a phillips a
    phillips, some have slightly different angles in the head.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 7, 2005
  14. Phstpok

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:28:30 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Bret <> wrote in news:qu3sh1piofmao61qj6vpmiutqdsigu9qc5@
    > 4ax.com:
    >
    >> On 6 Sep 2005 17:42:36 +1200, Dave Taylor
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Bret <> wrote in news:7ciph1hqq60rv6mdhv4er01v2h48d2hke1@
    >>>4ax.com:

    >>>Thanks for clarifying. I wish everybody just used Robertsons myself.

    >>>Canadian invention.
    >>>http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/robertson_screws.htm
    >>>http://www.robertsonscrew.com/
    >>>I loath Phillips screws.

    >> Are the square head screws we get here Robertson screws?
    >>

    > I have been told that they are and also that they are not. I do know
    > that my screw driver fits them. It is like saying is a phillips a
    > phillips, some have slightly different angles in the head.

    A Robertson screw has a slightly tapered fit compared to a square drive.
    The Robertson screw stays on the driver where the square drive will drop
    off.
    Phillips screws strip out if you use pozidrive drivers on them because
    phillips bit blades are tapered and pozidrive bit blades have parallel
    sides.
    You can get multidrive screws now that you can use square or pozi bits on.
    shannon, Sep 7, 2005
  15. Phstpok

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:16:30 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Phillips screws strip out if you use pozidrive drivers on them because
    >phillips bit blades are tapered and pozidrive bit blades have parallel
    >sides.

    If you have a close look at a pozidrive screwdriver you will notice
    four extra protusions similar to the main blades but rotated 45
    degrees, there are corresponding indentations in the screw.

    http://www.primerpc.com/hardware/PhillipsPozi.gif

    You can see why pozidrive wreck phillips heads but you can usually get
    away with the reverse.
    Bret, Sep 7, 2005
  16. Phstpok

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:35:18 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:16:30 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >
    >>Phillips screws strip out if you use pozidrive drivers on them because
    >>phillips bit blades are tapered and pozidrive bit blades have parallel
    >>sides.

    > If you have a close look at a pozidrive screwdriver you will notice
    > four extra protusions similar to the main blades but rotated 45
    > degrees, there are corresponding indentations in the screw.
    >
    > http://www.primerpc.com/hardware/PhillipsPozi.gif
    >
    > You can see why pozidrive wreck phillips heads but you can usually get
    > away with the reverse.

    $22 buys you a whole lot of bits
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/431e8bfd05c93f44273fc0a87f9906e9/Product/View/T4513
    shannon, Sep 7, 2005
  17. Phstpok

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:44:40 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:35:18 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:16:30 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Phillips screws strip out if you use pozidrive drivers on them because
    >>>phillips bit blades are tapered and pozidrive bit blades have parallel
    >>>sides.

    >> If you have a close look at a pozidrive screwdriver you will notice
    >> four extra protusions similar to the main blades but rotated 45
    >> degrees, there are corresponding indentations in the screw.
    >>
    >> http://www.primerpc.com/hardware/PhillipsPozi.gif
    >>
    >> You can see why pozidrive wreck phillips heads but you can usually get
    >> away with the reverse.

    >$22 buys you a whole lot of bits
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/431e8bfd05c93f44273fc0a87f9906e9/Product/View/T4513

    I'd just lose them all :)
    Bret, Sep 7, 2005
  18. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    Phstpok, Sep 7, 2005
  19. Phstpok

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    >> $22 buys you a whole lot of bits
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/431e8bfd05c93f44273fc0a87f9906e9/Product/View/T4513
    >>

    > As the op, thought I'd better clarify.
    >
    > Turns out my eyesight aint what it used to be. The screwheads on the
    > 80gb seagate are torx, but smaller than what I have in bits, so I am
    > tempted to spend $22 at DSE. <Shudders of horror>

    If you're going to get one then instead of asking for a T4513:

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/T4513

    ask for a T4513S (Note the 'S')

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/T4513S

    It's exactly the same thing but includes a free finishing sander for the
    same price.

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/T4983

    Makes spending the $22 not so bad.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2005
  20. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    ~misfit~ stubbed out the damp squib on 8/09/2005 1:19 p.m.and tried to
    bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > Phstpok wrote:
    >
    >>>$22 buys you a whole lot of bits
    >>>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/431e8bfd05c93f44273fc0a87f9906e9/Product/View/T4513
    >>>

    >>As the op, thought I'd better clarify.
    >>
    >>Turns out my eyesight aint what it used to be. The screwheads on the
    >>80gb seagate are torx, but smaller than what I have in bits, so I am
    >>tempted to spend $22 at DSE. <Shudders of horror>

    > If you're going to get one then instead of asking for a T4513:
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/T4513
    >
    > ask for a T4513S (Note the 'S')
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/T4513S
    >
    > It's exactly the same thing but includes a free finishing sander for the
    > same price.
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/T4983
    >
    > Makes spending the $22 not so bad.

    Very nice. I've been looking at sanders for a while as I'm part way
    through redec in the lounge. The stars must be in conjunction or
    something. Cheers.

    Rob.
    Phstpok, Sep 8, 2005