    not the dvd or cd player since I have no disk in them.
    Thanks for any help.
    Russ

    russell, Sep 13, 2006

  2. russell

    RjK Guest

    If you are sure you don't have a CD or DVD in the drive then it could be any
    one of the following:
    CPU Fan
    Chipset Fan
    Video Card Fan
    or possibly power supply fan

    RjK, Sep 13, 2006

  3. russell

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "RjK" <> wrote in message
    > If you are sure you don't have a CD or DVD in the drive then it could be
    > any one of the following:
    > CPU Fan
    > Chipset Fan
    > Video Card Fan
    > or possibly power supply fan

    My money is on the CPU fan!

    Bazzer Smith, Sep 14, 2006
  4. russell

    russell Guest

    Thank you guys for the reply. Is there anything I can do to stop it?
    Russ

    russell, Sep 14, 2006
  5. russell

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Well you could disconnect the fan, but I would not recommend that!!
    Maybe you can get a program to display the CPU temperature?

    Bazzer Smith, Sep 14, 2006
  6. russell

    BuckRabbit Guest

    Sounds to me like the centre pin of the fan could do with some lubrication. Maybe you can do it youself or get a tech to do it for
    you. Good luck

    Buck

    BuckRabbit, Sep 14, 2006
  7. russell

    RjK Guest

    Just buy a new CPU fan, they are easy to install and inexpensive. If it is a
    chipset fan you can pull the fan and pull back the small sticker covering
    the spindle and put a few drops of good teflon oil on the spindle. I have
    had good luck in the past with this. If it is the CPU fan I would just
    replace the entire fan. They only cost $25 and up, better than cooking your
    CPU.

    RjK, Sep 14, 2006
  8. russell

    russell Guest

    Thanks, everybody for the suggestions. I will look into it.
    Russ

    russell, Sep 14, 2006