    Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    dry out or are they now junk?

    (It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))
    nospam, May 4, 2011

  2. nospam

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 5/4/2011 11:09 PM, nospam wrote:
    > I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    > Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    > against my computer on the floor.
    >
    > Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    > dry out or are they now junk?
    >
    > (It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    Good stuff that lemon & barley.
    Gib Bogle, May 4, 2011

  3. nospam

    victor Guest

    On 4/05/2011 11:09 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    > Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    > against my computer on the floor.
    >
    > Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    > dry out or are they now junk?
    >
    > (It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    Immerse in a bucket of warm water with a bit of simple green detergent
    and agitate gently, then rinse shake the water out and dry in hot water
    cupboard for a day or two.
    Do it before the citric acid attacks anything.
    victor, May 4, 2011
  4. In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    >Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    >against my computer on the floor.
    >
    >Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    >dry out or are they now junk?
    >
    >(It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    :) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    somewhere (IIRC) ...

    If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put sugar in
    it.

    I suspect your aggravation levels would be lowest if you bought new ones. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 5, 2011
  5. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Thu, 05 May 2011 10:46:25 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 4/05/2011 11:09 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >> I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    >> Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    >> against my computer on the floor.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    >> dry out or are they now junk?
    >>
    >> (It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    >Immerse in a bucket of warm water with a bit of simple green detergent
    >and agitate gently, then rinse shake the water out and dry in hot water
    >cupboard for a day or two.
    >Do it before the citric acid attacks anything.

    ok, done that now. They're hanging on the clothesline. I suppose I
    could dry them out faster by opening them up. Thanks.
    nospam, May 5, 2011
  6. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2011 23:27:44 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >>I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    >>Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    >>against my computer on the floor.
    >>
    >>Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    >>dry out or are they now junk?
    >>
    >>(It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    >:) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    >somewhere (IIRC) ...
    >
    >If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put sugar in
    >it.
    >
    >I suspect your aggravation levels would be lowest if you bought new ones. :)

    Hmmm. I'll see how it goes.
    nospam, May 5, 2011
  7. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:47:22 +1200, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 May 2011 10:46:25 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 4/05/2011 11:09 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >>> I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    >>> Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    >>> against my computer on the floor.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    >>> dry out or are they now junk?
    >>>
    >>> (It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    >>Immerse in a bucket of warm water with a bit of simple green detergent
    >>and agitate gently, then rinse shake the water out and dry in hot water
    >>cupboard for a day or two.
    >>Do it before the citric acid attacks anything.

    >ok, done that now. They're hanging on the clothesline. I suppose I
    >could dry them out faster by opening them up. Thanks.

    I decided to open them up. One of them's now in the rubbish because
    it had a bunch of lightly glued rubbery things (one for each key) that
    went flying everywhere when I tried to dry it. The other newer one is
    much better designed and allows me to dry both sides of the keyboard
    mylar overlay thing and should be fine.
    nospam, May 5, 2011
  8. nospam

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Wed, 04 May 2011 23:27:44 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >>I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    >>Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    >>against my computer on the floor.
    >>
    >>Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    >>dry out or are they now junk?
    >>
    >>(It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    >:) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    >somewhere (IIRC) ...
    >
    >If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put sugar in
    >it.

    I was asked once to fix a keyboard that had had milk poured onto it on Friday
    morning and nothing done until Tuesday morning.
    It was like yoghurt and what appeared to be lactic acid had etched the copper
    tracks on the film under the keycaps.

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.
    Msgr Scooter, May 5, 2011
  9. nospam

    AD. Guest

    On May 5, 11:27 am,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > :) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    > somewhere (IIRC) ...
    >
    > If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put sugar in
    > it.

    That must've been my saviour - when I did this the full cup of coffee
    had no sugar or milk in it.

    Mind you - after soaking into the keyboard it went on to soak right
    through the guts of the ThinkPad R51 that belonged to that keyboard.

    After quickly yanking out the battery, then cleaning and drying all
    the bits I could take apart - the machine still worked and is still
    going strong years later (although I'm starting to want a faster one
    these days).

    Apologies to anyone whose already heard about that one before :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 5, 2011
  10. In article <>,
    says...

    > I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    > Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    > against my computer on the floor.
    >
    > Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    > dry out or are they now junk?
    >
    > (It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    No drinks allowed within 1/2 a metre of my keyboard or above the computer.
    Seriously.
    I have heard too many stories like yours, and my keyboards tend to be of the
    expensive persuasion.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, May 5, 2011
  11. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > No drinks allowed within 1/2 a metre of my keyboard or above the computer.

    No food or drinks in my office full stop.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 7, 2011
  12. nospam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
    > On May 5, 11:27 am,
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> :) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    >> somewhere (IIRC) ...
    >>
    >> If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put
    >> sugar in it.

    > That must've been my saviour - when I did this the full cup of coffee
    > had no sugar or milk in it.
    >
    > Mind you - after soaking into the keyboard it went on to soak right
    > through the guts of the ThinkPad R51 that belonged to that keyboard.
    >
    > After quickly yanking out the battery, then cleaning and drying all
    > the bits I could take apart - the machine still worked and is still
    > going strong years later (although I'm starting to want a faster one
    > these days).
    >
    > Apologies to anyone whose already heard about that one before :)

    ThinkPads are bloody well made... Well, at least up to 2006 / 2007 when the
    last of the IBM-designed machines were still available.

    If that R51's getting a bit too slow for you now I suggest that you keep
    your eyes on some Trademe auctions for T60s. They're the last of the 'real'
    ThinkPads (4:3), (in fact some very knowledgable folks seem to think that
    they are / were the best ThinkPad ever made) are dual-core and can be had
    very cheaply right now if you get the right auction.

    (I got one for a mate last week for $200. Core Duo 1.83GHz, Intel graphics
    but lacking a battery and adapter. An adapter's only another ~$50 or so, if
    that....)
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, May 8, 2011
  13. In article <>, Msgr Scooter <aqc.zwoau@fshccqg.123> wrote:
    >On , , Wed, 04 May 2011 23:27:44 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    >keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >>In article <>, nospam

    > <> wrote:
    >>>I've spilt a hot sticky lemon and honey drink over my keyboard.
    >>>Actually I managed to collect two keyboards coz one was leaning up
    >>>against my computer on the floor.
    >>>
    >>>Is there any way to clean this up? Will the keyboard work if I let it
    >>>dry out or are they now junk?
    >>>
    >>>(It was Barkers lemon and barley fruit syrup. (with Vitamin C))

    >>:) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    >>somewhere (IIRC) ...
    >>
    >>If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put sugar in
    >>it.

    >I was asked once to fix a keyboard that had had milk poured onto it on Friday
    >morning and nothing done until Tuesday morning.
    >It was like yoghurt and what appeared to be lactic acid had etched the copper
    >tracks on the film under the keycaps.

    Plenty of sugar in milk ... largely lactose. :)
    Don't know what made the etched like marks.
    Bruce Sinclair, May 9, 2011
  14. In article <>, "AD." <> wrote:
    >On May 5, 11:27=A0am,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> :) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    >> somewhere (IIRC) ...
    >>
    >> If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put sugar =

    >in
    >> it.

    >That must've been my saviour - when I did this the full cup of coffee
    >had no sugar or milk in it.
    >
    >Mind you - after soaking into the keyboard it went on to soak right
    >through the guts of the ThinkPad R51 that belonged to that keyboard.
    >
    >After quickly yanking out the battery, then cleaning and drying all
    >the bits I could take apart - the machine still worked and is still
    >going strong years later (although I'm starting to want a faster one
    >these days).
    >
    >Apologies to anyone whose already heard about that one before :)

    ... and my other half spilt maybe 3 mL of coffee on a cell phone ... which
    immediately stopped working !

    I see recent adds for water resistant ones ... and am amazed that people
    stand for this sort uselessness by design in the 'leaks like a sieve'
    department ! Guys, that's broken. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 9, 2011
  15. nospam

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Sun, 08 May 2011 23:47:30 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Msgr Scooter <aqc.zwoau@fshccqg.123> wrote:
    >>On , , Wed, 04 May 2011 23:27:44 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    >>keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    >>wrote:

    >>>:) I recall an old Massey computer instruction sheet which had on it
    >>>somewhere (IIRC) ...
    >>>
    >>>If you are going to pour coffee on your keyboard, please don't put sugar in
    >>>it.

    >>I was asked once to fix a keyboard that had had milk poured onto it on Friday
    >>morning and nothing done until Tuesday morning.
    >>It was like yoghurt and what appeared to be lactic acid had etched the copper
    >>tracks on the film under the keycaps.

    >Plenty of sugar in milk ... largely lactose. :)
    >Don't know what made the etched like marks.

    It is the only thing I can think of.
    The gunge had a yoghurt like smell and consistency.
    It had been there for four days, the tracks were black and when I scratched at
    them there was no copper tracking left and the remaining tracks at the end of
    the damage were coppery.
    The child swore and declared it was only milk but then it didn't tell her mother
    at all, it wasn't until the mother found the damage that the child came up with
    that explanation.

    Msgr Scooter, May 9, 2011
  16. In article <>, Msgr Scooter <aqc.zwoau@fshccqg.123> wrote:
    >On , , Sun, 08 May 2011 23:47:30 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    >keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:

    (snip)
    >>>I was asked once to fix a keyboard that had had milk poured onto it on Friday
    >>>morning and nothing done until Tuesday morning.
    >>>It was like yoghurt and what appeared to be lactic acid had etched the copper
    >>>tracks on the film under the keycaps.

    >>Plenty of sugar in milk ... largely lactose. :)
    >>Don't know what made the etched like marks.

    >It is the only thing I can think of.
    >The gunge had a yoghurt like smell and consistency.
    >It had been there for four days, the tracks were black and when I scratched at
    >them there was no copper tracking left and the remaining tracks at the end of
    >the damage were coppery.
    >The child swore and declared it was only milk but then it didn't tell her
    > mother
    >at all, it wasn't until the mother found the damage that the child came up with
    >that explanation.

    :) Yes, fermentation products are acidic, but that much damage in 4 days ?
    Was it in the sun ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 11, 2011
  17. nospam

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Tue, 10 May 2011 23:09:08 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Msgr Scooter <aqc.zwoau@fshccqg.123> wrote:
    >>On , , Sun, 08 May 2011 23:47:30 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    >>keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    >>wrote:

    >(snip)
    >>>
    >>>Plenty of sugar in milk ... largely lactose. :)
    >>>Don't know what made the etched like marks.

    >>It is the only thing I can think of.
    >>The gunge had a yoghurt like smell and consistency.
    >>It had been there for four days, the tracks were black and when I scratched at
    >>them there was no copper tracking left and the remaining tracks at the end of
    >>the damage were coppery.
    >>The child swore and declared it was only milk but then it didn't tell her
    >> mother
    >>at all, it wasn't until the mother found the damage that the child came up with
    >>that explanation.

    >:) Yes, fermentation products are acidic, but that much damage in 4 days ?
    >Was it in the sun ? :)

    It was summer and the keyboard was in the sun.

    Msgr Scooter, May 11, 2011
  18. nospam

    John Little Guest

    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > :) Yes, fermentation products are acidic...

    BTW, it's the products of oxidation that are typically acidic.
    Fermentation products may be, too, but typically less so, though I
    suppose alcohols might add to corrosiveness.

    Regards, John
    John Little, May 11, 2011
  19. In article <>, John Little <> wrote:
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >
    >> :) Yes, fermentation products are acidic...

    >BTW, it's the products of oxidation that are typically acidic.
    >Fermentation products may be, too, but typically less so, though I
    >suppose alcohols might add to corrosiveness.

    Alcohols usually add penetration ... meaning the acidic bits can get where
    they ought not to be.

    "In the sun" is not a good idea for milky keyboards. :)
    To the OP ... has the cleaned up keyboardf recovered ?
    Bruce Sinclair, May 12, 2011
  20. nospam

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Wed, 11 May 2011 23:24:45 GMT, Re: Spilt a hot lemon drink over my
    keyboard, (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, John Little <> wrote:
    >>(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >>
    >>> :) Yes, fermentation products are acidic...

    >>BTW, it's the products of oxidation that are typically acidic.
    >>Fermentation products may be, too, but typically less so, though I
    >>suppose alcohols might add to corrosiveness.

    >Alcohols usually add penetration ... meaning the acidic bits can get where
    >they ought not to be.
    >
    >"In the sun" is not a good idea for milky keyboards. :)
    >To the OP ... has the cleaned up keyboardf recovered ?

    A new keyboard was purchased.

    Msgr Scooter, May 12, 2011