    cranking up the subwoofers and bass with these dvd's in FULL screen,,
    thinking they are soo cool...,

    I will SCREEEAAMMM!!!!! ...

    mrknowitall, Nov 23, 2003

  2. mrknowitall

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <0p8wb.478725$pl3.124042@pd7tw3no>, mrknowitall
    <> wrote:

    > Does anyone remember 1986/ 1987 when Steven Spielberg absolutely refused to
    > release two of his films to Video ( vhs) , unless they were in Letterbox??
    >
    > The two films were : The Color Purple,, and Always ..
    > So fast-forward to 2003 and to his little gems from the 80's .,"The Indiana
    > Jones Trilogy," and what do we have?? Full Screen. editions on DVD.

    You mean the ones he's had no problem with full screen versions of for
    the past 20+ years?

    > I'm telling you right now, if I Ever go into someone's home and they're
    > cranking up the subwoofers and bass with these dvd's in FULL screen,,
    > thinking they are soo cool...,
    >
    > I will SCREEEAAMMM!!!!! ...

    And they'll call the cops and have you arrested for tresspassing,
    hopefully :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 23, 2003

  3. I don't think he's loosing his mind, I just don't think he has the
    backbone to stand up to the Wal-Marts of the world. He can get away
    with demanding The Color Purple and Always be widescreen, those aren't
    movies "Joe Six-Pack" is going to buy.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 23, 2003
  4. mrknowitall

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <231120031528366058%>,
    Invid Fan <> wrote:

    > You mean the ones he's had no problem with full screen versions of for
    > the past 20+ years?

    But that's VHS, which Spielberg sadly realized was largely viewed by Joe
    Six Packs and would never be seen on anything but 4:3 TV's. This is now
    2003 and DVD. Spielberg knows all DVD releases are done in widescreen,
    that the vast majority of DVD viewers demand widescreen and widescreen
    only and that DVD is future proof for 16:9 HDTV, not old 4:3. He
    shouldn't have allowed his babies to be further butchered.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Nov 23, 2003
  5. On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:40:24 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >He can get away
    >with demanding The Color Purple and Always be widescreen, those aren't
    >movies "Joe Six-Pack" is going to buy.

    Joe Six Pack might surprise you.

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Nov 23, 2003
  6. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Grand Inquisitor
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is Pink?"
    > I don't think he's loosing his mind, I just don't think he has the
    > backbone to stand up to the Wal-Marts of the world. He can get away
    > with demanding The Color Purple and Always be widescreen, those aren't
    > movies "Joe Six-Pack" is going to buy.

    Hell not too long ago I saw a stack of Widescreen VHS copies of
    "The Color Purple" at Wal-Mart for $8.88. I've also seen both "Lord
    Of The Rings" extended editions on VHS in Widescreen there and
    the re-release of "Stargate" also in Widescreen on VHS at Wal-Mart.
    Plus, Wal-Mart is starting to sell Widescreen HDTVs as well. Not the
    best ones obviously but its a start.

    Wal-Mart is catching up, slowly but they are.....

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Brian "Demolition Man" Little wrote:
    > Hell not too long ago I saw a stack of Widescreen VHS copies of
    > "The Color Purple" at Wal-Mart for $8.88. I've also seen both "Lord
    > Of The Rings" extended editions on VHS in Widescreen there and
    > the re-release of "Stargate" also in Widescreen on VHS at Wal-Mart.
    > Plus, Wal-Mart is starting to sell Widescreen HDTVs as well. Not the
    > best ones obviously but its a start.
    >
    > Wal-Mart is catching up, slowly but they are.....

    Each Wal-Mart has a certain amount of leeway, but for the most part they
    are pro-pan&scan.

    http://www.widescreen.org/commentaries/2003_10_oct.shtml

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 24, 2003
  8. mrknowitall

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Black Locust
    <> wrote:

    > In article <231120031528366058%>,
    > Invid Fan <> wrote:
    >
    > > You mean the ones he's had no problem with full screen versions of for
    > > the past 20+ years?

    > But that's VHS, which Spielberg sadly realized was largely viewed by Joe
    > Six Packs and would never be seen on anything but 4:3 TV's. This is now
    > 2003 and DVD. Spielberg knows all DVD releases are done in widescreen,
    > that the vast majority of DVD viewers demand widescreen and widescreen
    > only and that DVD is future proof for 16:9 HDTV, not old 4:3. He
    > shouldn't have allowed his babies to be further butchered.

    The original message mentioned that Spielberg refused to allow two of
    his films to be released on VHS full screen. Obviously, sometimes he
    views aspect ratio worth fighting over, and sometimes he doesn't.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 24, 2003
  9. mrknowitall

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote in <YW8wb.23574$>:

    >I don't think he's loosing his mind, I just don't think he has the
    >backbone to stand up to the Wal-Marts of the world. He can get away
    >with demanding The Color Purple and Always be widescreen, those aren't
    >movies "Joe Six-Pack" is going to buy.

    Or anyone else.

    Steve Hanson, Nov 24, 2003
  10. mrknowitall

    Louis Guest

    "Black Locust" <> wrote in message
    > In article <231120031528366058%>,
    > Invid Fan <> wrote:
    >
    > > You mean the ones he's had no problem with full screen versions of for
    > > the past 20+ years?

    > But that's VHS, which Spielberg sadly realized was largely viewed by Joe
    > Six Packs and would never be seen on anything but 4:3 TV's. This is now
    > 2003 and DVD. Spielberg knows all DVD releases are done in widescreen,
    > that the vast majority of DVD viewers demand widescreen and widescreen
    > only and that DVD is future proof for 16:9 HDTV, not old 4:3. He
    > shouldn't have allowed his babies to be further butchered.
    > --
    > BL

    I've noticed a lot of rentals are fullscreen. Perhaps he wanted to tap that
    market.

    Louis, Nov 24, 2003
  11. mrknowitall

    Bob Troll Guest

    lol that's what I was thinking...
    ..

    Bob Troll, Nov 24, 2003
  12. mrknowitall

    luminos Guest

    Idiot.

    luminos, Nov 24, 2003
  13. mrknowitall

    Jim Fraas Guest

    Add Inner Space and GRemlins 2 to the widescreen VHS list.

    --
    There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
    It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.

    Jim Fraas, Nov 25, 2003
  14. mrknowitall

    Jim Fraas Guest

    so let those assholes pay $100 for a movie only disc

    Jim Fraas, Nov 25, 2003
  15. mrknowitall

    Guest

    mrknowitall <> wrote:
    > Does anyone remember 1986/ 1987 when Steven Spielberg absolutely refused to
    > release two of his films to Video ( vhs) , unless they were in Letterbox??

    > The two films were : The Color Purple,, and Always ..
    > So fast-forward to 2003 and to his little gems from the 80's .,"The Indiana
    > Jones Trilogy," and what do we have?? Full Screen. editions on DVD.

    > I'm telling you right now, if I Ever go into someone's home and they're
    > cranking up the subwoofers and bass with these dvd's in FULL screen,,
    > thinking they are soo cool...,

    > I will SCREEEAAMMM!!!!! ...

    Best Buy seems to be having trouble moving the fullscreen boxsets.
    You can tell, because they seem to have plenty of them with the
    special bonus DVD included. Hard to find the WS set with the
    bonus disk...

    , Nov 25, 2003
  16. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    Pink?"
    > Best Buy seems to be having trouble moving the fullscreen boxsets.
    > You can tell, because they seem to have plenty of them with the
    > special bonus DVD included. Hard to find the WS set with the
    > bonus disk...

    Many stores in my area has FLOODS of the P&S Indy just gathering
    dust while the WS keeps selling and selling and selling and selling.....

    Maybe Joe Sixpack is finally learning.....

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Nov 26, 2003
  17. mrknowitall

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Brian \"Demolition
    Man\" Little <> wrote:

    > From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU
    > <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    > Pink?"
    > > Best Buy seems to be having trouble moving the fullscreen boxsets.
    > > You can tell, because they seem to have plenty of them with the
    > > special bonus DVD included. Hard to find the WS set with the
    > > bonus disk...

    > Many stores in my area has FLOODS of the P&S Indy just gathering
    > dust while the WS keeps selling and selling and selling and selling.....
    >
    > Maybe Joe Sixpack is finally learning.....

    Then you'll have to find something else to feel superior to him about...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 26, 2003
  18. "Brian "Demolition Man" Little" <> wrote in message
    > From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU
    > <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    > Pink?"
    > > Best Buy seems to be having trouble moving the fullscreen boxsets.
    > > You can tell, because they seem to have plenty of them with the
    > > special bonus DVD included. Hard to find the WS set with the
    > > bonus disk...

    > Many stores in my area has FLOODS of the P&S Indy just gathering
    > dust while the WS keeps selling and selling and selling and selling.....
    >
    > Maybe Joe Sixpack is finally learning.....

    It could also be that we have better players now, at cheaper prices, so that
    "Joe Sixpack" can buy the widescreen version without having to seek out a
    special fullscreen version of the movie. Even the cheaper players (e.g.,
    Apex, Koss) are providing black bar removal functions--not just Zoom--that
    allows a person to size the screen to eliminate the black bars and have a
    full screen picture.

    IMHO, it's win-win for everyone. Those who want 4:3 widescreen can watch the
    letterbox/black bar version without any changes. Those who want 4:3
    fullscreen can watch the widescreen DVD without the black bars (cropped
    sides, but full height). Furthermore, both the widescreen and the fullscreen
    movie watchers will still have a win-win situation when they upgrade to a
    widescreen 16:9 TV in the near or distant future--those who want widescreen
    can watch their 2:35:1 movies with black bars, and those who want fullscreen
    can once again use the black bar eliminator. Finally, the movie studios only
    need to release the widescreen versions, since the black bar eliminator
    functions basically provide the fullscreen version directly from the
    widescreen version.

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Nov 26, 2003
  19. mrknowitall

    Tarkus Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:02:09 -0800, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

    > It could also be that we have better players now, at cheaper prices, so that
    > "Joe Sixpack" can buy the widescreen version without having to seek out a
    > special fullscreen version of the movie. Even the cheaper players (e.g.,
    > Apex, Koss) are providing black bar removal functions--not just Zoom--that
    > allows a person to size the screen to eliminate the black bars and have a
    > full screen picture.
    >
    > IMHO, it's win-win for everyone. Those who want 4:3 widescreen can watch the
    > letterbox/black bar version without any changes. Those who want 4:3
    > fullscreen can watch the widescreen DVD without the black bars (cropped
    > sides, but full height).

    That's hardly a win-win. Arbitrarily cutting off the sides is 10 times
    worse than pan and scan.
    --
    "Just remember what the MPAA says: Horrific, deplorable violence is
    okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!"

    Now playing: "Stevie Ray Vaughan And Doubl.. - Ask Me No Questions (with Al.."

    Tarkus, Nov 26, 2003
  20. mrknowitall

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:02:09 -0800, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
    >
    >>IMHO, it's win-win for everyone. Those who want 4:3 widescreen can watch the
    >>letterbox/black bar version without any changes. Those who want 4:3
    >>fullscreen can watch the widescreen DVD without the black bars (cropped
    >>sides, but full height).

    > That's hardly a win-win. Arbitrarily cutting off the sides is 10 times
    > worse than pan and scan.

    Well that's true BUT to people who want their screens filled it's
    probably not an important destinction.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Nov 26, 2003