    same thing recently - I think it was the Hulk.

    Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
    (Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

    Shadowspawn, Jan 21, 2004

  2. On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:52 GMT, Shadowspawn <> wrote:

    >Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
    >(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

    Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
    awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
    - really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. I didn't
    see any charm in it - I prefer the 60s SpiderMan animated show - at
    least it had heart.

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Shadowspawn

    Wade365 Guest

    << Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
    >(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

    Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
    awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
    - really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. >><BR><BR>

    I hated it at first too, but it really grew on me. The animation does take a
    bit of getting used to (at first it all lookewd like video game cut scenes I'll
    admit), but you begin to see the art in it and the obvious care... the
    character designs are off from "traditional" Spidey cartoons, but I applaud
    them for breaking into another style. I've had a few other anime purchases
    recently which have precluded me from picking the Season One set up but I will.

    I'm with the original post: Season 2 please!

    Wade365, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Shadowspawn

    Justin Guest

    Wade365 wrote on [22 Jan 2004 02:11:34 GMT]:
    > I hated it at first too, but it really grew on me. The animation does take a
    > bit of getting used to (at first it all lookewd like video game cut scenes I'll
    > admit), but you begin to see the art in it and the obvious care... the
    > character designs are off from "traditional" Spidey cartoons, but I applaud
    > them for breaking into another style.

    If only they'd put them in different clothes once in a while.

    Justin, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Shadowspawn

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 02:33:35 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >Wade365 wrote on [22 Jan 2004 02:11:34 GMT]:
    >> I hated it at first too, but it really grew on me. The animation does take a
    >> bit of getting used to (at first it all lookewd like video game cut scenes I'll
    >> admit), but you begin to see the art in it and the obvious care... the
    >> character designs are off from "traditional" Spidey cartoons, but I applaud
    >> them for breaking into another style.

    >If only they'd put them in different clothes once in a while.

    They joke about that in the commentary quite a bit. They said that if
    Season 2 is a go they will do new costumers. Actually, whenever MJ or
    Harry are in a new outfit they pop-up a Spidy Bubble indicating it.
    MJ wears a sexy wall climbing outfit and Harry is in a Tux in one
    episode. What's really funny is to look at all the red backpacks
    everyone wears, they are all identical but scaled down. They mention
    it when MJ and Harry are side by side and you can see it clearly.

    They also call out when characters and costumes are reused between
    episodes. The robe that Lizardman wears is the frat initiation robe
    from the Party episode. The fact that MJ is the only one with moving
    hair and how hard it is to make flowing clothing was also interesting.
    They wanted a flowing Matrix cloak for the samurai chick but animating
    a cloak takes as much CPU time as an entire character.

    The nicest part of the animation has got to be the self-shadowing and
    the emotions these characters are able to depict with facial
    expressions. Stunning CG!

    Shadowspawn, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Shadowspawn

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:06:07 GMT, Hitman of Las Vegas <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:52 GMT, Shadowspawn <> wrote:
    >
    >>Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
    >>(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

    >Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
    >awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
    >- really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. I didn't
    >see any charm in it - I prefer the 60s SpiderMan animated show - at
    >least it had heart.

    Well I won't try to convert you on your graphical taste. To each
    their own but there is nothing else like this on TV - even Stan Lee
    says this is the best version of Spidy to date.

    I thought all the stories were very well done. The writers have a
    long legacy of writing for comics and other animated superhero
    animated shows. Perhaps you are looking for more superhero action but
    they clearly state in the commentary this is a show dealing with the
    relationship between Harry, MJ, and Peter, and Spider-Man is more of a
    sidebar. For that reason alone the show has more HEART and deals with
    more emotional and relationship values than anything in the genre.

    Shadowspawn, Jan 22, 2004
  7. On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:12:06 GMT, Shadowspawn <> wrote:

    >Well I won't try to convert you on your graphical taste. To each
    >their own but there is nothing else like this on TV - even Stan Lee
    >says this is the best version of Spidy to date.

    Yea, it's all a matter of taste and I didn't respond to it at all,
    though I gave it several chances.

    As for Stan Lee, well, he is a shill of the higest order, so his
    opinion on the matter isn;t compelling to me, even though he
    co-created Spider-Man. Stan will go out and shill like a madman -
    back in the late 70s he shilled like a madman for the awful Spider-Man
    live tv series, and that was hideous.

    In any case, glad you enjoyed the show. To me, it was a bore.

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Shadowspawn

    Steve K. Guest

    Hitman of Las Vegas wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:52 GMT, Shadowspawn <> wrote:
    >

    >>Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
    >>(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

    > Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
    > awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
    > - really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. I didn't
    > see any charm in it - I prefer the 60s SpiderMan animated show - at
    > least it had heart.

    I agree with Hitman. I didn't care for this MTV 3D floaty mocap Spiderman.

    Steve K., Jan 22, 2004
  9. Shadowspawn

    Justin Guest

    Stan Lee was Re: Spiderman Series

    Hitman of Las Vegas wrote on [Thu, 22 Jan 2004 04:07:58 GMT]:
    > As for Stan Lee, well, he is a shill of the higest order, so his
    > opinion on the matter isn;t compelling to me, even though he
    > co-created Spider-Man. Stan will go out and shill like a madman -
    > back in the late 70s he shilled like a madman for the awful Spider-Man
    > live tv series, and that was hideous.

    He sure is. But he does get points of effort though. Man that guy will
    still be hyper about these products on his death bed.

    True Believer.

    Justin, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Shadowspawn

    Wade365 Guest

    << If only they'd put them in different clothes once in a while. >><BR><BR>

    HEH... yeeeaaahhh... OK... that bugs me a bit too.

    Wade365, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Re: Stan Lee was Re: Spiderman Series

    No question he gets points for effort!! He is terminally hyper about
    this stuff, it's true! That being said, his word carries almost no
    weight, since he is such a $hameless $hill for everything he is
    involved with. Look at him hawking 'Striparella,' for example!

    EXCELSIOR!!! ;-)

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Jan 22, 2004
  12. Re: Stan Lee was Re: Spiderman Series

    Justin wrote:

    > Hitman of Las Vegas wrote on [Thu, 22 Jan 2004 04:07:58 GMT]:
    >
    >>As for Stan Lee, well, he is a shill of the higest order, so his
    >>opinion on the matter isn;t compelling to me, even though he
    >>co-created Spider-Man. Stan will go out and shill like a madman -
    >>back in the late 70s he shilled like a madman for the awful Spider-Man
    >>live tv series, and that was hideous.

    > He sure is. But he does get points of effort though. Man that guy will
    > still be hyper about these products on his death bed.
    >
    > True Believer.

    Since--sad but true--he technically doesn't make image-license money off
    of Spiderman, X-Men OR Hulk (since the Man was just a company
    workin'-stiff when he wrote them), his chief source of Marvel-related
    income, apart from his personal x-prod. involvement in the movies/TV, is
    as iconically identifiable Head Cheerleader of classic-era Marvel...

    Derek Janssen (it ain't from "Stripperella", we know that)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 22, 2004
  13. Shadowspawn

    Wade365 Guest

    Re: Stan Lee was Re: Spiderman Series

    << his word carries almost no
    weight, since he is such a $hameless $hill for everything he is
    involved with. Look at him hawking 'Striparella,' for example! >><BR><BR>

    I saw that show a few times... I thought it was crass and kinda funny but the
    damned banners on SPKE TV chased me away... same with watching the Spiderman
    animated series on "EmptyV" (MTV). The banners every five minutes of the 22
    min. of program time was infuriating so I waited for the DVDs... and I'll
    probably get "Stripperella" when that's grunted out in a two disc set someday
    too.

    Without commercials and a third of the screen almost constantly filled with
    adverts for Dinosaur Planet and Gary The Rat, it's a funny show.

    To me.

    Poor Stan... I still love the guy and the cameos in the recent films have been
    great, but he IS such a hard-on sometimes.

    I want an Avengers movie!!!

    : )

    Wade365, Jan 22, 2004
  14. Re: Stan Lee was Re: Spiderman Series

    Wade365 wrote:

    > Poor Stan... I still love the guy and the cameos in the recent films have been
    > great, but he IS such a hard-on sometimes.
    >
    > I want an Avengers movie!!!

    [This space symbolizes the reply-area where the Sean Connery joke would
    normally have been made. Having used the space for said purpose, we may
    now consider it acheived, and move on.]

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 23, 2004
  15. Shadowspawn

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Re: Stan Lee was Re: Spiderman Series

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    (snip)

    > Since--sad but true--he technically doesn't make image-license money off
    > of Spiderman, X-Men OR Hulk (since the Man was just a company
    > workin'-stiff when he wrote them), his chief source of Marvel-related
    > income, apart from his personal x-prod. involvement in the movies/TV, is
    > as iconically identifiable Head Cheerleader of classic-era Marvel...

    Then there's Jack Kirby, Marvel's chief artist who was really far more
    responsible for the creation and design of most of the "classic" Marvel
    Characters from the early 60's who got completely screwed out of any
    royalties these movies have generated and died with little to show for
    all his hard work over the years.

    T.B.

    Thomas Bell, Jan 23, 2004
  16. Shadowspawn

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On 22 Jan 2004 16:48:50 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:

    ><< If only they'd put them in different clothes once in a while. >><BR><BR>
    >
    >HEH... yeeeaaahhh... OK... that bugs me a bit too.

    You must really hate the Simpsons.
    and South Park
    and Scooby Doo
    and 99% of any other animated shows out there. :)

    Actually, after learning how there are 50 animators concurrenlty
    working on 5 episodes (that are exploded into bits and pieces and
    assigned to varying teams) it would be a continuity nightmare to piece
    together episodes and have different clothes matching from scene to
    scene.

    Maybe for Season 2 Mainframe will develope a clothing routine so they
    can animate the episodes with key cast naked then dynamically dress
    the characters prior to final rendering. Would make for great bonus
    material...

    Shadowspawn, Jan 23, 2004
  17. Shadowspawn

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On 22 Jan 2004 02:11:34 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:

    ><< Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
    >>(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

    >Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
    >awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
    >- really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. >><BR><BR>
    >

    >I hated it at first too, but it really grew on me. The animation does take a
    >bit of getting used to (at first it all lookewd like video game cut scenes I'll
    >admit), but you begin to see the art in it and the obvious care... the
    >character designs are off from "traditional" Spidey cartoons, but I applaud
    >them for breaking into another style. I've had a few other anime purchases
    >recently which have precluded me from picking the Season One set up but I will.
    >
    >I'm with the original post: Season 2 please!

    Somewhere in the commentary or credits the mention that Starship
    Troopers - the CG animated series is available on DVD.

    Is this a box of all 40 episodes and where can I buy it? I can't
    seem to find it at any of the normal outlets. Or better yet, has
    anybody ever seen it and is it any good?

    Shadowspawn, Jan 23, 2004
  18. Re: Stan Lee was Re: Spiderman Series

    Same goes for Steve Ditko, and others. A shame.

    Actually I felt that the imagery in the Spider-Man film owed more to
    John Romita Sr's vision of Spider-Man, with a lot of the poses Spidey
    struck were very reminiscent of some of Romita's comic panels.

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Jan 23, 2004
  19. Shadowspawn

    Justin Guest

    Shadowspawn wrote on [Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:11:22 GMT]:

    > Somewhere in the commentary or credits the mention that Starship
    > Troopers - the CG animated series is available on DVD.
    >
    > Is this a box of all 40 episodes and where can I buy it? I can't
    > seem to find it at any of the normal outlets. Or better yet, has
    > anybody ever seen it and is it any good?

    You didn't look too hard, did you?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/102-7990871-8491301?v=glance&s=dvd

    That's a usual outlet

    Justin, Jan 25, 2004
  20. Shadowspawn

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:26:13 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >Shadowspawn wrote on [Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:11:22 GMT]:
    >>
    >> Somewhere in the commentary or credits the mention that Starship
    >> Troopers - the CG animated series is available on DVD.
    >>
    >> Is this a box of all 40 episodes and where can I buy it? I can't
    >> seem to find it at any of the normal outlets. Or better yet, has
    >> anybody ever seen it and is it any good?

    >You didn't look too hard, did you?
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/102-7990871-8491301?v=glance&s=dvd
    >
    >That's a usual outlet

    Thanks. That's just a block of episodes. I'm looking for the entire
    40-show series.

    Shadowspawn, Jan 26, 2004