    ===================
    Date: 20/07/2006
    Time: 21:10:46
    Type: EVENT
    Source: WKCOM
    Category: OUTBOUND FIREWALL ALERT

    Extended Event Information:
    ============================

    Event
    Spider tried to access the network

    Response
    Blocked

    Process
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPIDER.EXE

    Parent
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE

    Local Address
    192.168.0.1:1405

    Remote Address
    192.168.0.10:139

    Operation
    [2] CONNECT

    ==================================

    I find this odd. 192.168.0.10 is a machine with fixed ip that lives on
    my lan, but why a game of solitaire should want to talk to ANYONE, is
    bloody beyond me. Anyone got any ideas on that I'd appreciate it.

    Otherwise I wonder if prevx has been fooled by malware that has
    successfully masqueraded as an already running process. But would that
    not be next to impossible? The malware has to have the same checksum as
    well as name doesn't it? Reassurance on that matter even more
    appreciated if anyone can find the time.

    cheers

    Warwick, Jul 20, 2006

  2. On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:24:40 +1200, Warwick wrote:

    > spider solitaire is part of a standard windows install with games. I
    > have been using prevx on outbound firewall duty.
    > It reported the following tonight..
    >
    > Event Information:
    > ===================
    > Date: 20/07/2006
    > Time: 21:10:46
    > Type: EVENT
    > Source: WKCOM
    > Category: OUTBOUND FIREWALL ALERT
    >

    > Extended Event Information:
    > ============================

    > Event
    > Spider tried to access the network
    >

    > Response
    > Blocked
    >

    > Process
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPIDER.EXE
    >

    > Parent
    > C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    >

    > Local Address
    > 192.168.0.1:1405
    >

    > Remote Address
    > 192.168.0.10:139
    >

    > Operation
    > [2] CONNECT
    >

    > ==================================
    >
    > I find this odd. 192.168.0.10 is a machine with fixed ip that lives on
    > my lan, but why a game of solitaire should want to talk to ANYONE, is
    > bloody beyond me. Anyone got any ideas on that I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Otherwise I wonder if prevx has been fooled by malware that has
    > successfully masqueraded as an already running process. But would that
    > not be next to impossible? The malware has to have the same checksum as
    > well as name doesn't it? Reassurance on that matter even more
    > appreciated if anyone can find the time.
    >
    > cheers

    Obviously this is part of the multiplayer option!

    wogers nemesis, Jul 20, 2006

  3. In article <1153387249.3325@ftpsrv1>, says...

    > Local Address
    > 192.168.0.1:1405
    >

    > Remote Address
    > 192.168.0.10:139

    Netbios - as in file and printer sharing. Presumably it's looking for somebody
    to play with on your lan. (does that thing HAVE multiplayer? I've never looked
    at it).
    I've had hits on the firewall like that a few times, MicroSoft
    programs/applets that have no business accessing the network, yet try to.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Netbios - as in file and printer sharing. Presumably it's looking for somebody
    > to play with on your lan. (does that thing HAVE multiplayer? I've never looked
    > at it).
    > I've had hits on the firewall like that a few times, MicroSoft
    > programs/applets that have no business accessing the network, yet try to.
    >
    > -P.

    No it doesn't have multi player. There is no option to print anything
    nor a good reason for wanting to. I can't even think of a working set
    of rules for a multi player version, outside of having a server running
    duplicates. And that wouldn't work peer to peer anyway.

    My guess is that, being a game of solitaire, it became lonely. I think
    it was looking for other spider.exes' to talk to, and maybe go out for a
    beer.

    Warwick, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Warwick

    noddy Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:40:08 +1200, Warwick <> wrote:

    >Peter Huebner wrote:
    >

    >> Netbios - as in file and printer sharing. Presumably it's looking for somebody
    >> to play with on your lan. (does that thing HAVE multiplayer? I've never looked
    >> at it).
    >> I've had hits on the firewall like that a few times, MicroSoft
    >> programs/applets that have no business accessing the network, yet try to.
    >>
    >> -P.
    >>

    >No it doesn't have multi player. There is no option to print anything
    >nor a good reason for wanting to. I can't even think of a working set
    >of rules for a multi player version, outside of having a server running
    >duplicates. And that wouldn't work peer to peer anyway.
    >
    >My guess is that, being a game of solitaire, it became lonely. I think
    >it was looking for other spider.exes' to talk to, and maybe go out for a
    >beer.

    Could it be that it shares a DLL with a game that does have
    multi-player options and somehow this got triggered?

    noddy, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Warwick

    Dave Taylor Guest

    noddy <> wrote in news:kkm0c2dequ41fhqkolb599rq1e36tn4smj@
    4ax.com:

    >>No it doesn't have multi player. There is no option to print anything
    >>nor a good reason for wanting to. I can't even think of a working set
    >>of rules for a multi player version, outside of having a server running
    >>duplicates. And that wouldn't work peer to peer anyway.
    >>
    >>My guess is that, being a game of solitaire, it became lonely. I think
    >>it was looking for other spider.exes' to talk to, and maybe go out for a
    >>beer.

    > Could it be that it shares a DLL with a game that does have
    > multi-player options and somehow this got triggered?

    Plausable.
    Check the MD5 of the app. What does a web search for this problem reveal?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 21, 2006