"Spider-Man" DVD authoring errors... fixed version?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dan Harkless, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Dan Harkless

    Dan Harkless Guest

    Hey there. I did some searching around for discussion of this but
    didn't find anything, at least with the keywords I tried.

    I recently got the "Spider-Man Deluxe Edition" 3-DVD set (R1) and I
    was surprised while watching the film with the "Weaving the Web"
    pop-up factoid subtitle track that the text for some of the factoids
    is truncated. For instance, at chapter 16, 1:01:24, it reads (in
    full):

    JAMESON'S DISDAIN FOR
    SPIDER-MAN BEGAN IN THIS
    VERY FIRST ISSUE WHEN
    JAMESON FELT THAT
    SPIDER-MAN MADE HIS

    (Especially annoying that that one was cut off, as I've never really
    understood JJJ's movitation for hating Spider-Man so much.)

    Another problem is that on my old Pioneer DVL-909, at least, the main
    menu is very frustrating to navigate -- you have to keep pressing in
    the direction you want the "cursor" to go over and over before it'll
    finally move. Then when one of the areas of the silly little console
    thingie is selected, you have to wait until the little indicator
    lights flash and hit the button just at the right time to get the
    selection you want.

    DVDs have been reissued (and provided free to owners of the original
    version) over smaller authoring errors than these -- anyone know if
    Sony / Columbia have any plans to do this?

    They kind of hint at a possible re-author at the end of the factoid
    subtitles when they say:

    EVERY ATTEMPT HAS BEEN MADE TO
    OBTAIN PERMISSION TO REPRODUCE
    MATERIAL PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT.
    WHERE OMISSIONS HAVE OCCURRED,
    THE PRODUCER WILL BE HAPPY TO ADD
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENT IN FUTURE RELEASES.

    Kind of weird -- never seen a "copyright cop-out" like that before.

    --
    Dan Harkless

    http://harkless.org/dan/

    Dan Harkless, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Dan Harkless

    Biz Guest

    "Dan Harkless" <> wrote in message
    > Hey there. I did some searching around for discussion of this but
    > didn't find anything, at least with the keywords I tried.
    >
    > I recently got the "Spider-Man Deluxe Edition" 3-DVD set (R1) and I
    > was surprised while watching the film with the "Weaving the Web"
    > pop-up factoid subtitle track that the text for some of the factoids
    > is truncated. For instance, at chapter 16, 1:01:24, it reads (in
    > full):
    >
    > JAMESON'S DISDAIN FOR
    > SPIDER-MAN BEGAN IN THIS
    > VERY FIRST ISSUE WHEN
    > JAMESON FELT THAT
    > SPIDER-MAN MADE HIS
    >
    > (Especially annoying that that one was cut off, as I've never really
    > understood JJJ's movitation for hating Spider-Man so much.)
    >
    > Another problem is that on my old Pioneer DVL-909, at least, the main
    > menu is very frustrating to navigate -- you have to keep

    The 909 has known bugs, try the disk on another player and see if it
    exhibits the same problems. If it doesnt you'll know that the culprit is
    your old 909

    Biz, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Dan Harkless

    Starz_Kid Guest

    > Hey there. I did some searching around for discussion of this but
    > didn't find anything, at least with the keywords I tried.
    >
    > I recently got the "Spider-Man Deluxe Edition" 3-DVD set (R1) and I
    > was surprised while watching the film with the "Weaving the Web"
    > pop-up factoid subtitle track that the text for some of the factoids
    > is truncated. For instance, at chapter 16, 1:01:24, it reads (in
    > full):
    >
    > JAMESON'S DISDAIN FOR
    > SPIDER-MAN BEGAN IN THIS
    > VERY FIRST ISSUE WHEN
    > JAMESON FELT THAT
    > SPIDER-MAN MADE HIS
    >
    > (Especially annoying that that one was cut off, as I've never really
    > understood JJJ's movitation for hating Spider-Man so much.)

    Hello Dan H, If I recall from reading the original comic books, JJJ was
    jealous
    of Spiderman - and actually envied him, and that was the basis for his hate.
    It
    wasn't really explained in Spidey #1 but a few issues later. If I recall,
    there is a blurb on the cover of the comic that says "find out the real
    reason that JJJ hates Spidey"
    *******************
    and YES...! I originally bought the Spidey #1 way back then for 12 cents
    (which was about 1/4'th of my allowance). And I still have the comic...!
    Heheheheheeeeeee.....

    Wow, what a return on my investment...!

    Starz_Kid...

    Starz_Kid, Jul 14, 2004
  4. "Starz_Kid" <> wrote in message news:<DQ%Ic.19605240$>...
    > "Dan Harkless" <> wrote in message

    > > (Especially annoying that that one was cut off, as I've never really
    > > understood JJJ's movitation for hating Spider-Man so much.)
    > >

    > Hello Dan H, If I recall from reading the original comic books, JJJ was
    > jealous
    > of Spiderman - and actually envied him, and that was the basis for his hate.
    > It
    > wasn't really explained in Spidey #1 but a few issues later. If I recall,
    > there is a blurb on the cover of the comic that says "find out the real
    > reason that JJJ hates Spidey"
    > and YES...! I originally bought the Spidey #1 way back then for 12 cents
    > (which was about 1/4'th of my allowance). And I still have the comic...!
    > Heheheheheeeeeee.....
    >
    > Wow, what a return on my investment...!

    The hatred grew deeper later when JJJ held Spiderman respsonsible for
    the death of his son, John Jameson aka the Man-Wolf

    STRATEGY

    Bay Way 41510, Jul 18, 2004