    actually shipping with both version; I could have made a more informed
    choice. However the way this was done seems a little too much like "Bate and
    Switch"

    =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=, Jan 31, 2007

  2. This has been known in the Vista newsroup for months.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 31, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Xbox Live Fan:
    The following is from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx
    "64-bit DVD
    If you bought Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business as a
    retail, packaged product, and you would like a DVD of 64-bit software media
    to install on your PC, please choose your language:

    Choose your language:
    Note: 64-bit media is included in the box with Windows Vista Ultimate.

    Some product features are only available in certain editions of Windows
    Vista and may require advanced or additional hardware."

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Jan 31, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    In my view, while it is true that buyer should beware and that the
    information, that only Ultimate contains the actual install files for
    64-bit Vista "in-box", is available on Microsoft's and some other web
    pages and forums, you do have a valid point. I checked the web pages of
    a few resellers that now feature Vista and did not find any information
    as to the lack of 64-bit install media in most Vista SKUs.

    I don't think Microsoft will win many friends among consumers if it
    turns out that any number of them purchase the product and then discover
    that they have to pay any additional fee for having MS ship the needed
    DVD.

    I have not seen the packaging. Hopefully, the content details are
    prominently viewable.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Jan 31, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=

    RMZ Guest

    I may be way off on this one, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am, but
    here's my take.... I'm disgusted with Microsoft over this. IMO the
    focus on Vista should have been on 64-bit and much as multi-core, with
    a GUI and bundled apps that aimed to showcase that power. That didn't
    happen, although multi-core x64 is the standard in almost all retail
    desktop and notebook computers, there still aren't enough 64-bit
    systems out there for Microsoft to do what they did with Windows 95.

    Windows 95 was a risk for MS, because at the time the leap from 16-bit
    to 32-bit architecture had taken place, but the Windows 3.11 was a 16-
    bit GUI that ran on top of 16-bit MS-DOS. Windows 95 made the leap to
    32-bit and took full advantage of the modern processors.

    Vista, as all tech media is reporting is a pretty shell with some
    usability enhancements, but not much going on new under the hood; and
    since Microsoft has to put more focus on one or the other they have
    chosen to make the 64-bit Vista more illusive than the 32-bit version,
    likely knowing the driver hell end users will be in for at this stage
    in the game.... I'm following the advise of tech media, I'm holding
    off on this release. I have a Turion 64 x2 based notebook, but the
    vendor doesn't have 64-bit Vista drivers posted and also my free Vista
    Home Premium upgrade from Windows XP Media Center Edition that I
    qualify for (because I bought a notebook a few weeks ago) will give me
    Aero, but will take away Remote Desktop functionality which Microsoft
    has reserved for Vista Business and Vista Ultimate. Add to that PC
    World's Vista bench test in the current issue which show that most
    apps run slower on Vista (even on multi-core systems).

    My perspective at this point is that it's too early to upgrade..... I
    know Vista is the way forward and XP will be eventually left behind,
    but the incentive to upgrade doesn't out weigh the risk (yet). Look at
    how long XP has lived and how much its changed..... At some point in
    Vista's life cycle, the 64-bit version will become dominate (or at
    least much better supported in the mainstream) and other factors will
    weigh in, making the incentive out weigh the risk.... If Microsoft had
    a clue they would have maybe hired some economist to help them with
    these sort of problems, instead their brilliant marketing department
    came up with "the wow starts now".

    So if you install 32-bit Vista to replace 32-bit Win XP, you gain a
    pretty OS that supports desktop widgets and allows you to search you
    desktop for documents (what Google Desktop has been giving us for free
    on XP for over a year now). You're going to be faced with potential
    driver hell, time lost on upgrade hassle (from which there is no way
    back I understand) and at the end you'll have a machine running a tad
    slower that less capable in some ways due to new media security
    restrictions, not to mention loss of some really cool features like
    Remote Desktop.

    As with everything it's all about incentives vs risk. I see multiple
    missed opportunities here for Microsoft, 64-bit push is one.... I do
    understand why they can't do it yet through, but I don't trust
    Microsoft... I believe they know the timing of Vista's release isn't
    optimal related to the install base on 64-bit multi-core systems, I
    assume they are working to plan for a Vista's second (likely of many)
    incarnation for 2008, that's probably when I'll bite.

    RMZ, Jan 31, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=

    RMZ Guest

    Just to clarify by "second incarnation of Vista by 2008", I'm talking
    about a significant, well publicized service pack (presumably Vista
    SP1) near the same scale of SP2 for XP. I believe we'll see a
    significant patch to Vista within a year and a half and after that
    point the incentives to upgrade will increase and continue until XP is
    slowly based out over the five years or so.

    Why give Micrsoft more of your money at this point? Let other people
    pay to help them make it as stable as XP is today, then upgrade. For
    me, 64-bit support would do it, it's a damn shame my 64-bit notebook
    won't land me a 64-bit Vista Home Premium upgrade through, at first
    that upset me, but the more I thought about the more I realized how
    far from the mark Vista is.

    RMZ, Jan 31, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Not everyone has the ability to download a 4 gig file practically. Most
    customers will have dialup (56k max) or in my case satellite with limited
    bandwidth.

    John Barnes, Jan 31, 2007
  8. SP1 is scheduled for the second half of this year, not 2008. It is
    coordinated with the release of Longhorn Server because they share the same
    codebase and that's how service packs work. What you are suggesting would a
    Release 2, not a service pack.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 31, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    John:
    I agree with you fully about the restrictions in downloading large
    files. I was just pointing to the DVD availability article for the original
    post. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Jan 31, 2007
  10. I wonder if Microsoft has problems with the 64 bit iterations. I was quite
    surprised that the Windows Vista product shipped with the quarterly MAPS was
    not only just an upgrade version (in the past full versions were shipped),
    and only the Vista Business version (in the past Microsoft included XP media
    center in MAPS) but also, it was only the 32 bit version. I feel a bit
    bushwacked here.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgU2NobnVy?=, Jan 31, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?WGJveCBMaXZlIEZhbg==?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > Not everyone has the ability to download a 4 gig file practically. Most
    > customers will have dialup (56k max) or in my case satellite with limited
    > bandwidth.

    But heck, the folks who really want that 64 bitness probably have a
    very fat pipeline and with the wallet to support 64 bits right -- you
    know 16G of dual channel DDR2 800, plus that dual video card set up
    with $1K plus invested in video adapters, running on a motherboard that
    supports and has an Intel Core 2 Quad 6700.

    Not your typical camper though <smile>.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 2, 2007