    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 3, 2006

  2. Oh boy! Thanks, Pa! guess I'm gonna have to continue manual checking. It's
    not that I can't spell, it's just that I have really bad typing habitsd
    (sic), made even worse by a very sensitive new keyboard. Fortunately, this
    really isn't my machine, it's the wife's. (Now that I think about it,
    though, maybe that's not so fortunate. She's the kind that doesn't care why
    something doesn't work, she just wants it FIXED!!!)

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Gary S. Terhune

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:43:46 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <>
    wrote:

    As an alternative you can use an e-mail client which uses it's own
    spellchecker, like Mozilla Thunderbird or Forte Agent, untill this problem
    is fixed.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Sep 3, 2006
  4. I considered those and included them in the "possible solutions" discussion
    we just had. She's decided to wait for Vista before diving into a new email
    app. Gonna wait for Vista RC1 to try on this system (unless I get *really*
    bored in the next week or two.) I reserved a partition just for that.

    I also suggested Outlook 2003 since it would also provide significant
    "client management" features, but she uses Goldmine for that. Now all we
    gotta do is find the Goldmine disks that are lost somewhere in the moving
    boxes. Those and Quickbooks. No rush. The old computer is working just fine,
    and once we gets this one all set up I won't be able to play with it anymore
    ;<(

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 3, 2006
  5. "PA Bear" <> wrote in message
    > OP in the thread I cited said Tiny Spell kinda/sorta worked. YMMV.
    > http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/

    Tried it. OP is right with the kinda/sorta tag. Not really useful to us.

    > Things going better with the missus, are they? Good!

    Yup. Complicated, but heading in the right direction.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 3, 2006
  6. Gary:
    As you found out from PA Bear OE is 64-bit in x64 and uses the spell
    check from Word which is 32-bit which causes a compatibility issue. The work
    around that I used was to type my message or reply in Word, use spell check
    then cut and paste it to OE. I know that it is a tedious work around but I
    got used to doing it at work because the program that I have to use doesn't
    have spell check.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Sep 3, 2006
  7. Gary -
    As Pa Bear, et al, have pointed out - you can't get there from here. A
    little background may help in understanding, however. Office is, as we both
    know, a 32-bit application. No problem, it works perfectly well in XP x64,
    except for a couple of mostly minor things like the image printer. Outlook
    Express in XP x64, however, is a 64-bit application. In order to do spell
    checking, OE needs access to the Office spell checker, which is a DLL. The
    catch is, of course, that a 64bit application can not call a 32-bit DLL.
    Just as a 32-bit application can not call a 64bit DLL. This means that until
    there is a 64bit version of the Word spell checker, or some third party
    spell checker that can link into 64bit OE, there will not be a spell checker
    that works in OE.

    The good news is that Windows Mail (the successor to OE) in Vista does
    spell checking just fine.

    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 4, 2006
  8. Charlie:
    Thank you for giving a better explanation than I did.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Sep 4, 2006
  9. No, just longer. ;)

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 4, 2006
  10. For me, accustomed as I am to composing and sending several dozens of
    messages daily (used to be hundreds but I've slacked off in recent years),
    such a workaround would indeed be tedious, <s>. But thanks for the
    suggestion.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 4, 2006
  11. Gary S. Terhune

    PA Bear Guest

    Pass the screen & monitor wipes, please.

    PA Bear, Sep 4, 2006
  12. PA Bear:
    Welcome to x64.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Sep 4, 2006
  13. <g>

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 4, 2006
  14. Gary S. Terhune

    DP Guest

    > Oh boy! Thanks, Pa! guess I'm gonna have to continue manual checking.

    You could always type your correspondence in Word first, spellcheck it and
    then cut and paste into OE mails.
    At least that'll work for initial correspondences. To do that when replying
    to other emails may become more of a hassle.

    DP, Sep 4, 2006
  15. Before I forget, thanks for the detailed explanation. I now see it as a good
    thing that I didn't find that TechNet article on my own, as I would never
    have proceeded to ask about it here and thus not gained this timely and
    fundamental insight into what will probably be *the* major issue in 64-bit
    Windows systems for some time to come.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 4, 2006
  16. 99.99...% of my OE use is for newsgroup posts, and all but a few per year
    are Replies. With those averaging many dozens per day, I'm not about to
    compose in some other app and then copy/paste into OE. But thanks for the
    suggestion, <s>.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 4, 2006
  17. This is one that isn't going to go away. And, when you actually think about
    it, makes perfect sense. If you have a process in memory that is 64bit, you
    wouldn't expect it to be able to call a .DLL that is 32-bit. It can execute
    a standalone .EXE, however, because an EXE runs entirely in its own space.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 4, 2006
  18. Yup, makes perfect sense. By "for some time" I simply meant "until all or
    most applications that might involve such incompatibilities are produced in
    64-bit versions", <s>.

    Though why they bothered to convert OE to 64-bit escapes me, what with this
    being the last OE that will ever be released. Would have been just fine to
    leave it as a 32-bit app. After all, they include a 32-bit version of IE.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 4, 2006
  19. All through the beta there were both in there. But it caused corruption
    problems, so they had to ship only one. As to why? well, it _is_ part of the
    OS, it ought to be 64bit. I'm sure they'd have done both if they hadn't run
    into problems. If you look, there is still the appearance of a 32-bit IE in
    there, but it just calls the 64bit one.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 4, 2006
  20. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > All through the beta there were both in there. But it caused corruption
    > problems, so they had to ship only one. As to why? well, it _is_ part of
    > the OS, it ought to be 64bit. I'm sure they'd have done both if they
    > hadn't run into problems. If you look, there is still the appearance of a
    > 32-bit IE in there, but it just calls the 64bit one.

    That last part (re IE) piques my interest. One of the earliest websites I
    went to claimed it wouldn't work with 64-bit IE so I launched "32-bit" IE,
    and the site then worked. Wish I could remember which site so I could try to
    replicate it. Guess I'll use the 64-bit one for a while and see if I come
    across it again, though it was probably one of the multitude of hardware and
    software sites I went to in search of app updates and drivers. Interesting
    that the QuickLaunch shortcut points to the "32-bit" one.

    (Suppose we might want to get rid of the OE group cross-post if this goes
    much further afield.)

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User