spell checking web doc on right click?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Eden, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Paul Eden

    Paul Eden Guest

    Gang,
    I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is such a
    depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I (honestly) have
    looked around the net for this but haven't found anything suitable.

    I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me to
    instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
    I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my posts
    are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell checking
    available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a spell checking
    website.
    What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight the
    text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option called
    "Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
    I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers "Google
    search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does anybody know of a
    solution for this?

    Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.

    Paul

    Paul Eden, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Paul Eden

    °Mike° Guest

    Try this:

    Spell Check utility for forum posts
    http://www.devicetop.com/site/forum/viewmsg/msg-13337

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:55:52 +0100, in
    <eil9b.309$>
    Paul Eden scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Paul Eden

    johnski Guest

    In news:eil9b.309$,
    Paul Eden typed:
    > Gang,
    > I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is
    > such a depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I
    > (honestly) have looked around the net for this but haven't found
    > anything suitable.
    >
    > I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me
    > to instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
    > I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my
    > posts are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell
    > checking available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a
    > spell checking website.
    > What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight
    > the text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option
    > called "Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
    > I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers
    > "Google search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does
    > anybody know of a solution for this?
    >
    > Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.
    >
    > Paul

    Paul

    The following script works for me. I'm using Win XP home, IE6, Word 2000.

    Copy the below & paste into notpad. Save as spell.js in your favourites
    folder.

    To use, enter the text in the web form and select it. Run the script by
    clicking on it in your favourites. My script is on the links toolbar for
    easy access.

    It copies the selected text, runs Word, pastes, does a spell check, copies
    the corrected text and asks if you want to paste it.

    HTH

    --
    John

    oShell= new
    ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
    oShell.SendKeys( "^c" ); // copy
    oWord= new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
    oWord.Visible= true;
    oWord.Documents.Add();
    oWord.Selection.Paste();
    oWord.ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling();
    oWord.Selection.WholeStory();
    oWord.Selection.Copy();
    oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(0);
    oWord.Quit();
    var nRet= oShell.Popup( "Apply changes?\nClick OK to replace all selected
    text.", 0, "Spell Check Complete", 33 );
    if ( nRet == 1 ) {
    oShell.SendKeys( "^v" ); // paste
    }

    --
    john

    johnski, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Paul Eden

    trout Guest

    Paul Eden wrote:

    > Gang,
    > I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is
    > such a depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I
    > (honestly) have looked around the net for this but haven't found
    > anything suitable.
    >
    > I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me
    > to instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
    > I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my
    > posts are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell
    > checking available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a
    > spell checking website.
    > What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight
    > the text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option
    > called "Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
    > I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers
    > "Google search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does
    > anybody know of a solution for this?
    >
    > Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.
    >
    > Paul

    IESpell:
    http://www.iespell.com/
    --
    "Right-click menu *or* toolbar."

    trout, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Paul Eden

    Paul Eden Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Eden wrote:
    >
    > > Gang,
    > > I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is
    > > such a depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I
    > > (honestly) have looked around the net for this but haven't found
    > > anything suitable.
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me
    > > to instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
    > > I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my
    > > posts are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell
    > > checking available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a
    > > spell checking website.
    > > What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight
    > > the text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option
    > > called "Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
    > > I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers
    > > "Google search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does
    > > anybody know of a solution for this?
    > >
    > > Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.
    > >
    > > Paul

    > IESpell:
    > http://www.iespell.com/
    > --
    > "Right-click menu *or* toolbar."

    I have gone for ieSpell, it does exactly what I want it to.
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

    Paul

    Paul Eden, Sep 16, 2003