    is the result of the clean install or what. I rarely use the option but
    when spelling doesn't seem right I like to have it as a backup. How can I
    correct this?
    S/B 954RR, Feb 4, 2009

  2. S/B 954RR wrote:

    > Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There is no spell checker,

    OE does not have a spell checker. Never ever did.

    > when I go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't use it.

    "tolls spelling?"

    > I don't know if this is the result of the clean install or what.

    No. You can install a third-party spell checker, or you can buy and add
    Microsoft Word. OE will then use Word's spell checker.

    Or, you can switch to a modern email program, such as Thunderbird, which
    already has a spell checker. And a spam filter. And doesn't corrupt
    itself. And ...
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 4, 2009

  3. S/B 954RR

    1D10T Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    > Outlook Express never came with a spelling checker. It borrowed the
    > spelling files from Word. However, with Word 2007, Outlook Express
    > cannot use the English, German, or Spanish spelling files.
    >
    > Microsoft has confirmed the problem. Read:
    >
    > You'll need to find a 3rd party spell checker to use with Outlook
    > Express. Some are free. Google still works.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"outlook+express"+%2Bspellcheck

    MS Works also provides spell checking.
    1D10T, Feb 4, 2009
  4. S/B 954RR

    S/B 954RR Guest

    > S/B 954RR wrote:

    >>> OE does not have a spell checker. Never ever did.

    >>> "tolls spelling?"

    >> I can't figure that one out...

    > I didn't see it last night, but did you mean the "Tools menu"? Paying
    > tolls on the Turnpike was stuck in my mind.

    That would b it. I also missed the > also.

    >>> No. You can install a third-party spell checker, or you can buy and
    >>> add Microsoft Word. OE will then use Word's spell checker.

    >> That is probably the issue. I haven't installed office yet.

    > If you already own it, well ok, but if not, look into OpenOffice which
    > does the same thing, and is free.

    Yes, I run OpenOffice on my laptop though.

    >>> Or, you can switch to a modern email program, such as Thunderbird,
    >>> which already has a spell checker. And a spam filter. And doesn't
    >>> corrupt itself. And ...
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird

    >> I've used TBird in the past and found that it didn't work as well
    >> (easily?) as OE as a newsreader. I don't remember if it was
    >> filtering or sorting but something turned me off. New PC though so
    >> maybe it is time to try it again. Thanks for the reply.

    > I have never found anything bad about Thunderbird for email, and I have
    > been using it since version 0.2. It's user-set filtering capabilities
    > are about the same as OE (which is to say poor), other than the
    > auto-Junk mail filtering, which is pretty good.
    >
    > I'd suggest that - if Usenet is more than a casual thing for you - that
    > you use a separate news reader, something specifically designed for the
    > purpose. I like 40tude Dialog, which is very powerful and has great
    > filtering (killfiling) capabilities.

    Thanks!
    S/B 954RR, Feb 4, 2009
  5. S/B 954RR

    S/B 954RR Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "S/B 954RR" <> wrote in message
    >> So I got a Vista laptop and have had lots of problems, mainly unrelated
    >> to Vista but the crashes and other problems combined have managed to
    >> appeal to my irrational side. When I decided to replace my family
    >> desktop I went to Ebay for an XP unit and found what I think is a great
    >> bargain. It's a Dell XP Pro, P4, 2.79 GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250G hard drive
    >> for $358 shipped. Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There is no
    >> spell checker, when I go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't use
    >> it. I don't know if this is the result of the clean install or what. I
    >> rarely use the option but when spelling doesn't seem right I like to have
    >> it as a backup. How can I correct this?
    >>

    > OE does not include a spell checker in a default XP install.
    > The 'official' way is to remedy this is to install Microsoft Office.
    > The unoffical (and perfectly legitimate) way is to use something like
    > this:
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

    Thanks!
    S/B 954RR, Feb 4, 2009
  6. S/B 954RR

    S/B 954RR Guest

    "tom" <~@~.net> wrote in message news:gmcefj$mi2$...

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> "S/B 954RR" <> wrote in message
    >>> So I got a Vista laptop and have had lots of problems, mainly unrelated
    >>> to Vista but the crashes and other problems combined have managed to
    >>> appeal to my irrational side. When I decided to replace my family
    >>> desktop I went to Ebay for an XP unit and found what I think is a great
    >>> bargain. It's a Dell XP Pro, P4, 2.79 GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250G hard
    >>> drive for $358 shipped. Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There
    >>> is no spell checker, when I go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't
    >>> use it. I don't know if this is the result of the clean install or
    >>> what. I rarely use the option but when spelling doesn't seem right I
    >>> like to have it as a backup. How can I correct this?
    >>>

    >> OE does not include a spell checker in a default XP install.
    >> The 'official' way is to remedy this is to install Microsoft Office.
    >> The unoffical (and perfectly legitimate) way is to use something like
    >> this:
    >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > From those of us that will allow you to use OE, this is a good option.

    Thanks!
    S/B 954RR, Feb 4, 2009
  7. S/B 954RR

    S/B 954RR Guest

    > S/B 954RR wrote:
    >
    >> So I got a Vista laptop and have had lots of problems, mainly unrelated
    >> Vista but the crashes and other problems combined have managed to appeal
    >> my irrational side. When I decided to replace my family desktop I went
    >> Ebay for an XP unit and found what I think is a great bargain. It's a
    >> Dell
    >> XP Pro, P4, 2.79 GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250G hard drive for $358 shipped.
    >> Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There is no spell checker, when
    >> go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't use it. I don't know if
    >> this
    >> is the result of the clean install or what. I rarely use the option but
    >> when spelling doesn't seem right I like to have it as a backup. How can
    >> correct this?

    > Outlook Express never came with a spelling checker. It borrowed the
    > spelling files from Word. However, with Word 2007, Outlook Express
    > cannot use the English, German, or Spanish spelling files.
    >
    > Microsoft has confirmed the problem. Read:
    >
    > You'll need to find a 3rd party spell checker to use with Outlook
    > Express. Some are free. Google still works.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"outlook+express"+%2Bspellcheck

    ____________________________

    Thanks!
    S/B 954RR, Feb 4, 2009
  8. 1D10T wrote:

    > MS Works also provides spell checking.

    Every time someone says "Microsoft Works" I have to chuckle...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 4, 2009
  9. "S/B 954RR" <> parented this using

    > So I got a Vista laptop and have had lots of problems, mainly unrelated
    > to Vista but the crashes and other problems combined have managed to
    > appeal to my irrational side. When I decided to replace my family
    > desktop I went to Ebay for an XP unit and found what I think is a great
    > bargain. It's a Dell XP Pro, P4, 2.79 GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250G hard
    > drive for $358 shipped. Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There
    > is no spell checker, when I go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't
    > use it. I don't know if this is the result of the clean install or
    > what. I rarely use the option but when spelling doesn't seem right I
    > like to have it as a backup. How can I correct this?

    Freeware : http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/

    Used it off and on for many years up and through Windows XP,
    Home, Pro and MCE, all the way through SP3. It integrates
    nicely, and then you access its Options from the Tools menu
    in OE.

    HTH.

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I have got the
    brand new key to her brand new rollerskates.

    Get yerself some wimmins of your own or someone elses :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGcAQ9nLiI

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 4, 2009
  10. S/B 954RR

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote in message

    > 1D10T wrote:
    >
    >> MS Works also provides spell checking.

    > Every time someone says "Microsoft Works" I have to chuckle...

    What do you do when someone mention ME?

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Feb 5, 2009