    is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there before. Apart
    from that OE is working o.k.

    Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    johngood, Jul 9, 2007

  2. johngood

    NM Guest

    hello johngood you wrote

    > Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell
    > checker is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there
    > before. Apart from that OE is working o.k.
    >
    > Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back.
    > Thanks.

    The spell checker used by OE is part of Microsoft Office.
    --
    bob
    Return adress valid.

    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken

    NM, Jul 9, 2007

  3. johngood

    Plato Guest

    johngood wrote:

    > Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell checker
    > is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there before. Apart
    > from that OE is working o.k.
    >
    > Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    Spell Checkers:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
    SPELL CHECKERS

    Plato, Jul 9, 2007
  4. johngood wrote:
    > Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell checker
    > is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there before. Apart
    > from that OE is working o.k.
    >
    > Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    Did you reinstall Office or Word?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 9, 2007
  5. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Did you reinstall Office or Word?

    I didn't. Why do you ask?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Hello,

    Outlook Express does not come with a spell checker.

    If you install Microsoft Office or Works, Outlook Express will use its spell
    checker.

    You can use free spell checkers if you do not have Works or Word
    http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/

    --
    Singapore Website Design
    http://www.bootstrike.com/Webdesign/

    SingaporeWebDesign, Jul 9, 2007
  7. In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, johngood wrote:

    > Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell
    > checker is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there
    > before. Apart from that OE is working o.k.
    >
    > Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back.
    > Thanks.

    As mentioned, OE needs help. MS Word, Excel, Office suite, etc.

    However, if you are interested, most *modern* email clients have
    built-in spell checking. Thunderbird does, for example, and also has a
    worthwhile Junk filter. It is also more secure than OE.

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 9, 2007
  8. johngood wrote:
    > Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell checker
    > is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there before. Apart
    > from that OE is working o.k.
    >
    > Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    Outlook Express has never had spell-checking capabilities of its
    own. Instead, it relies upon the presence of other Microsoft
    applications, such as the Office Suite, Word, or the Works _Suite_
    (which includes Word, not the regular Works). There are also some
    3rd-party shareware/freeware solutions available at any of the many
    shareware sites on the Internet Spell Magic seems well thought-of,
    though I haven't tried it myself:
    http://www.alcodasoftware.com/spell-magic.htm.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 9, 2007
  9. On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:17:46 GMT, "johngood" <> wrote:

    > Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell checker
    > is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there before. Apart
    > from that OE is working o.k.
    >
    > Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    You apparently had Word (or some other component of Microsoft Office)
    installed before, but you haven't (yet?) reinstalled it.

    OE has never come with a spell checker of its own, but it uses the MS
    Office one. Just reinstall that too and you will get the spell checker
    back.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jul 9, 2007
  10. Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:17:46 GMT, "johngood" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell checker
    >>is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there before. Apart
    >>from that OE is working o.k.
    >>
    >>Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    > You apparently had Word (or some other component of Microsoft Office)
    > installed before, but you haven't (yet?) reinstalled it.
    >
    > OE has never come with a spell checker of its own, but it uses the MS
    > Office one. Just reinstall that too and you will get the spell checker
    > back.

    Ken, I didn't know you were still around. You were one of the first
    posters I read when I discovered newsgroups. Amazing. (at least to me)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 9, 2007
  11. johngood

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "NM" <> wrote in message
    > hello johngood you wrote
    >> Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell
    >> checker is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there
    >> before. Apart from that OE is working o.k.
    >>
    >> Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    > The spell checker used by OE is part of Microsoft Office.

    Or MS Works, or even an add-on from a third party.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 9, 2007
  12. On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:48:10 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    > "NM" <> wrote in message
    > > hello johngood you wrote
    > >> Novice has just done a fresh re-install of windows xp and the spell
    > >> checker is now absent in outlook express, whereas i had it on there
    > >> before. Apart from that OE is working o.k.
    > >>
    > >> Would anyone please advise how to get the spell checker back. Thanks.

    > > The spell checker used by OE is part of Microsoft Office.

    > Or MS Works, or even an add-on from a third party.

    Although some third-party spell checkers work with OE, Microsoft
    Works's spell checker does *not*.

    However, note that Microsoft also has a product called Microsoft Works
    *Suite*. Because the Works Suite comes with Word, and because the Word
    spell checker supports OE, Works *Suite* will provide spell checking
    for OE.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jul 9, 2007
  13. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Did you reinstall Office or Word?

    > I didn't. Why do you ask?

    The post I responded to (and quoted and attributed) was the OP from
    "johngood". I just looked back to be sure.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 10, 2007
  14. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>

    >>>Did you reinstall Office or Word?

    >>I didn't. Why do you ask?

    > The post I responded to (and quoted and attributed) was the OP from
    > "johngood". I just looked back to be sure.

    I was just yanking your virtual chain.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 10, 2007
  15. johngood

    Plato Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > > Did you reinstall Office or Word?

    > I didn't. Why do you ask?

    Because they come with a spell checker....

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 10, 2007
  16. johngood

    Peter Foldes Guest

    If you installed Office 2007 also. Then see the following.

    You no longer have spell checking capabilities in some languages in Outlook
    Express 6.0 after you install the 2007 Microsoft Office system:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

    Office 2007 breaks OE's spell check. Downloading a free spell check is the
    simplest way around this.

    Some free spell check programs.

    Vampirefo:

    TinySpell:
    http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/ (Checks the spelling as you type).

    Or from this blog:
    http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80

    After installing Office 2007 RTM, you don't have English as a choice of
    language in the spell checker of Outlook Express and potentially other
    programs.

    a.. Office 2007 is replacing the v.3 English Proofing Tools that shipped
    in prior versions of Office with a new version (v.6). There are a number of
    changes in this new version, but the one that is causing this problem is
    that Outlook Express doesn't understand the new English Proofing Tools. This
    is a problem because Outlook Express has never shipped with its own proofing
    tools but has used the ones shipped by Office.
    b.. There are a few scenarios in which you won't run into this problem:
    a.. An upgrade from Office 2003 or earlier to Office 2007 RTM if you
    don't manually uninstall the earlier version of Office.
    b.. A configuration in which Office 2003 (or earlier) has not been
    removed.
    For example, I have Office 2003 still on both of my computers, and I
    still have English in Outlook Express.
    c.. The workaround for this problem is to install the English dictionary
    from Office 2003 (or Office XP). There should be no need to install all of
    Office just the dictionary. The English Proofing Tools can be found in the
    Custom Install tree under Office Shared Features|Proofing Tools|English.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Jul 10, 2007