    phones themselves?

    Hope this makes sense and someone can help.

    Liam

    Telephoneman, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Telephoneman

    Anon Y Mous Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    > I'm an old school telephone person just getting into voip and I have a
    > couple of questions;
    >
    > I have bought a speedtouch 716g which is a modem/router/switch/ata. It has 4
    > RJ45 lan ports, 2 analogue phone ports and has wi-fi capabilities. It will
    > act as a DHCP server, issuing addresses .1 to .253. So theoretically, could
    > I have 2 analogue phones, 4 voip phones (RJ45) and 247 wi-fi voip phones? Or
    > does the "Switch" function put a restriction on the overall number of
    > connections? Yes, I know I'd need a lot of bandwidth - I'm not intending to
    > do it, just to understand how it all works.
    >
    > My next question - I believe that the 716g provides QoS for the analogue
    > phones, but what about the ethernet/wi-fi phones? or is this driven by the
    > phones themselves?
    >
    > Hope this makes sense and someone can help.
    >
    > Liam

    I'm sure help will follow shortly, in the mean time I hope you have a
    716g V5 as previous versions had a huge amount of problems as a quick
    search will reveal.

    Anon Y Mous, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Telephoneman

    Me Guest

    >I'm sure help will follow shortly, in the mean time I hope you have a
    >716g V5 as previous versions had a huge amount of problems as a quick
    >search will reveal.

    I know of 3 people with the original 716g and none of them have had
    any problems at all.

    On the other hand, I have heard that the V5 is the one that has
    problems and may be replaced by the V6

    Me

    Me, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Telephoneman

    Martin² Guest

    Well, yes in theory you could have 255 VoIP connections, all of the phones
    could be analog ones connected via ATA's. You could also connect similar
    number of WiFi VoIP phones.
    In practice you won't be able to set up port forwarding and registrars for
    all of the phones to use them as separate lines. There are VoIP PBX systems
    for that.

    I am not familiar with the 716g, but on other routers that have QoS facility
    you can set separate priorities for different kind of packets, not just
    voice. This will work for all the ports.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 5, 2005
  5. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    SNIP.

    > In practice you won't be able to set up port forwarding and registrars for
    > all of the phones to use them as separate lines. There are VoIP PBX
    > systems systems for that.

    Can you elaborate? Where I'm coming from is that some ISPs are offering
    "virtual PBX (centrex)" services and I'm trying to understand how far you
    could go with vPBX and a router before you need a hardware PBX.

    Regards,

    Liam

    Telephoneman, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Telephoneman

    Martin² Guest

    Liam:
    >Can you elaborate? Where I'm coming from is that some ISPs are offering
    >"virtual PBX (centrex)" services and I'm trying to understand how far you
    >could go with vPBX and a router before you need a hardware PBX.

    As far as I know std. VoIP routers and ATA's have limits to how many ports
    can be forwarded and generally let you set up one or two registrars. One of
    the Sipura ATA's can be expanded to handle four VoIP lines. Beyond that you
    will need to look at Cisco and other 'enterprise wide VoIP' providers.
    Alternatively you could set up an Asterisk software on a Linux server and
    equip it with FXS / FXO ports, but I am no expert on this.
    You may get more info on comp.dcom.voice-over-ip usenet group where some
    providers post their stuff.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 6, 2005