Speedtouch 576 hangs at "Acquiring Network Address" Wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ali Chambers, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. Ali Chambers

    Ali Chambers Guest

    Hi,

    I'd be really grateful for any advice here:

    I have a Intel Centrino Fujitsu laptop with a built in wireless card.
    The wireless card connects to other wireless networks but not my home
    one.

    I also know my home network works, as I am using my fujitsu laptop with
    an ethernet cable. My second laptop connects via wireless to my home
    network fine.

    When I try to connect via wireless on my fujitsu laptop to my home
    network, I get:

    "Connecting..."
    and it hangs at:
    "Acquiring Network Address"....

    I've tried disabling the firewall, restarting the wireless connection
    and nothing works!

    I'm using AOL (UK) broadband with a Speedtouch 576 router.

    Oh - I can get the laptop to connect to AOL by disabling WEP security
    on the router. But I don't want to have to use an unsecured network.

    Can anyone help!
    Thanks - alex

    Ali Chambers, Sep 21, 2006

  2. Ali Chambers

    Lem Guest

    Ali Chambers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd be really grateful for any advice here:
    >
    > I have a Intel Centrino Fujitsu laptop with a built in wireless card.
    > The wireless card connects to other wireless networks but not my home
    > one.
    >
    > I also know my home network works, as I am using my fujitsu laptop with
    > an ethernet cable. My second laptop connects via wireless to my home
    > network fine.
    >
    > When I try to connect via wireless on my fujitsu laptop to my home
    > network, I get:
    >
    > "Connecting..."
    > and it hangs at:
    > "Acquiring Network Address"....
    >
    > I've tried disabling the firewall, restarting the wireless connection
    > and nothing works!
    >
    > I'm using AOL (UK) broadband with a Speedtouch 576 router.
    >
    > Oh - I can get the laptop to connect to AOL by disabling WEP security
    > on the router. But I don't want to have to use an unsecured network.
    >
    > Can anyone help!
    > Thanks - alex

    It sure sounds as if you are entering an incorrect WEP encryption key.
    Understand that if your router allowed you to use a "passphrase" from
    which it generated the hex key, you almost certainly can not use the
    same passphrase in your laptop's wireless adapter. You have to use the
    actual hex key itself. [see, e.g., "Response Number 3" at
    http://www.computing.net/networking/wwwboard/forum/28221.html] Also,
    make sure that both router and laptop are set to use the same length key.

    Actually, you should forget about WEP altogether. These days, it
    provides almost no security. Use WPA-PSK. The Speedtouch 576 can do
    this. See Speedtouch User Guide at
    http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/docume...wwhelp.htm?single=false&context=ug&topic=init

    If WPA is not available on your laptop, download and install the latest
    driver for your laptop's wifi adapter. Go to the Fujitsu site.

    Lem, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Ali Chambers

    Ali Chambers Guest

    Great - it works!