    Is the modem supplied with NTL broadband (speedtouch 330) any good. Is
    there something better that will give a quicker download

    Thanks Mark

    mark taylor, Mar 18, 2005

  2. mark taylor

    old john Guest

    i think ntl determine your max download speed, but
    perhaps someone knows better..J

    old john, Mar 18, 2005

  3. mark taylor

    Vanguard Guest

    > Is the modem supplied with NTL broadband (speedtouch 330) any good.
    > Is
    > there something better that will give a quicker download
    >
    > Thanks Mark

    The old Motorola Surfboard 4100 that my broadband cable provider has me
    using is capable of 38Mbps downstream and 10Mbps upstream. Both those
    are a far cry from the 4Mbps upstream and 256Kbps upstream that my ISP
    gives me now, so there is PLENTY of bandwidth left for future speed
    increases.

    You could go lookup the specs on the Speedtouch 330 cable modem that you
    use (http://www.speedtouch.com/prod330.htm). We don't know what
    bandwidths (downstream & upstream) you have contracted with whomever is
    your ISP. You could call them to find out.

    Vanguard, Mar 18, 2005
  4. mark taylor

    Paul - xxx Guest

    mark taylor composed the following;:
    > Is the modem supplied with NTL broadband (speedtouch 330) any good. Is
    > there something better that will give a quicker download

    There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's simple, works easily
    once connected and gives relatively few problems, providing it's setup
    correctly in the first place.

    Unlike dial-up modems, ISTM that a broadband modem is pretty much a
    broadband modem. They are working (certainly with NTL) at well below
    their rated maximum specifications that normal useage won't harm them
    and few will be [1] faster than others.

    If you really want bleeding edge speed, then you won't be using NTL
    anyway.

    I started with an Speedtouch when we went to broadband, cheap and easy.
    Now I use an integrated bbmodem with a combined wired/ wireless router
    which, for our family, works better 'cos we can all connect at once.
    You can still connect many users through the Speedtouch but will need an
    'external' network in place.

    [1] Generalisation, there are speed differences, but not enough that a
    'normal' user would notice greatly0 ... ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

    Paul - xxx, Mar 19, 2005