  1. The One

    The One Guest

    Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?

    The One, Oct 3, 2005

  2. The One

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *The One* wrote:

    > Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?

    Do you mean when you launch FF and IE in a Windows OS? Yeah, if you
    can integrate FF with the operating system :)

    IE is integrated with the OS and therefore partly started in the
    background when you start Windows. FF is not in any way integrated in
    that manner. But what's a couple of seconds when you are waiting for
    something good to come. :)

    --
    /Arne
    Now killing all posts originating at GoogleGroups

    Arne, Oct 3, 2005

  3. The One

    Stubby Guest

    Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *The One* wrote:
    >

    >>Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?
    >>

    > Do you mean when you launch FF and IE in a Windows OS? Yeah, if you
    > can integrate FF with the operating system :)
    >
    > IE is integrated with the OS and therefore partly started in the
    > background when you start Windows. FF is not in any way integrated in
    > that manner. But what's a couple of seconds when you are waiting for
    > something good to come. :)

    Please explain how "IE is integrated with the OS".

    Stubby, Oct 3, 2005
  4. The One

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Stubby* wrote:
    > Arne wrote:
    >> Once upon a time *The One* wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?
    >>>

    >> Do you mean when you launch FF and IE in a Windows OS? Yeah, if you
    >> can integrate FF with the operating system :)
    >>
    >> IE is integrated with the OS and therefore partly started in the
    >> background when you start Windows. FF is not in any way integrated in
    >> that manner. But what's a couple of seconds when you are waiting for
    >> something good to come. :)
    >>

    > Please explain how "IE is integrated with the OS".

    IE is 'integrated with the OS' in the sense that the rendering
    facilities of MSHTML.DLL and the web-browsing capabilities of the
    WebBrowser control, implemented in SHDOCVW.DLL ship with the OS and
    APIs are documented in the Platform SDK. In addition, Windows Explorer
    (EXPLORER.EXE) can load the WebBrowser control if you type an http:
    URL in the address bar, or the FTP browser if you type an ftp: URL.

    On top of that, some parts of the UI are implemented using HTML
    technologies, for example Add/Remove Programs is an HTML Application
    (.hta), as is (IIRC) Help and Support Center on XP. HTML Help uses the
    WebBrowser control with a number of its own COM components for
    synchronising the contents pane and performing dynamic inclusions.

    The above can be found on Dave Massy's WebLog at http://blogs.msdn.com/

    Every implementation of a browser with the OS is a security /
    vulnerability issue, and a good reason why Mozilla (and Firefox)
    should not go in to that.

    Arne, Oct 3, 2005
  5. The One

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Stubby wrote:
    > Arne wrote:
    >> Once upon a time *The One* wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?
    >>>

    >> Do you mean when you launch FF and IE in a Windows OS? Yeah, if you
    >> can integrate FF with the operating system :)
    >>
    >> IE is integrated with the OS and therefore partly started in the
    >> background when you start Windows. FF is not in any way integrated in
    >> that manner. But what's a couple of seconds when you are waiting for
    >> something good to come. :)
    >>

    > Please explain how "IE is integrated with the OS".

    explorer.exe[Key Windows GUI component] + iexplore.exe[self explanatory]
    = Internet Explorer

    Jedi Fans, Oct 3, 2005
  6. The One

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:28:01 +0100, The One wrote:

    > Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?

    You can make IE look like a snail with these two extensions for
    FireFox.
    Fasterfox v0.6.5
    Fox Preloader v1.0 build 366
    Good Luck
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

    Old Gringo, Oct 3, 2005
  7. The One

    Stubby Guest

    Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *Stubby* wrote:
    >
    >>Arne wrote:

    >>>Do you mean when you launch FF and IE in a Windows OS? Yeah, if you
    >>>can integrate FF with the operating system :)
    >>>
    >>>IE is integrated with the OS and therefore partly started in the
    >>>background when you start Windows. FF is not in any way integrated in
    >>>that manner. But what's a couple of seconds when you are waiting for
    >>>something good to come. :)
    >>>

    >>Please explain how "IE is integrated with the OS".

    > IE is 'integrated with the OS' in the sense that the rendering
    > facilities of MSHTML.DLL and the web-browsing capabilities of the
    > WebBrowser control, implemented in SHDOCVW.DLL ship with the OS and
    > APIs are documented in the Platform SDK. In addition, Windows Explorer
    > (EXPLORER.EXE) can load the WebBrowser control if you type an http:
    > URL in the address bar, or the FTP browser if you type an ftp: URL.
    >
    > On top of that, some parts of the UI are implemented using HTML
    > technologies, for example Add/Remove Programs is an HTML Application
    > (.hta), as is (IIRC) Help and Support Center on XP. HTML Help uses the
    > WebBrowser control with a number of its own COM components for
    > synchronising the contents pane and performing dynamic inclusions.
    >
    > The above can be found on Dave Massy's WebLog at http://blogs.msdn.com/
    >
    > Every implementation of a browser with the OS is a security /
    > vulnerability issue, and a good reason why Mozilla (and Firefox)
    > should not go in to that.

    If the API used by IE is so much faster, why doesn't Mozilla use it? If
    you say there is something that prevents anything but IE from using the
    API, I would agree that IE is "integrated" with the OS. But if any
    program such as TB or FF can use it, I disagree that it is integrated.

    Stubby, Oct 3, 2005
  8. On 10/3/2005 4:03 PM, Stubby said:

    > If the API used by IE is so much faster, why doesn't Mozilla use it? If
    > you say there is something that prevents anything but IE from using the
    > API, I would agree that IE is "integrated" with the OS. But if any
    > program such as TB or FF can use it, I disagree that it is integrated.

    Uh? All sorts of things are integrated into the OS yet available to
    other software -- print handling, network browsing..there is nothing in
    the definition of integration to imply the sort of blocking you talk about.

    There are any number of reasons Mozilla doesn't use IE's rendering APIs,
    including:

    1. Cross-platform compatibility. A joke in IE. Whereas Mozilla is
    intended to be compilable and usable on pretty much any platform.
    2. Standards compliance. Another of IE's weak points.
    3. Open source. Microsoft is the arch-enemy of.

    And so on...

    It's nice when an app loads quickly. But the lowest possible initial
    should it be. For my part I'd rather they continued to make the bit
    *after loading* work well, as they've been doing for some years now.

    David H

    David Harrison, Oct 3, 2005
  9. In article <>, Jedi Fans <"news
    [at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com"> says...
    > Stubby wrote:
    > > Arne wrote:

    > >> Do you mean when you launch FF and IE in a Windows OS? Yeah, if you
    > >> can integrate FF with the operating system :)
    > >>
    > >> IE is integrated with the OS and therefore partly started in the
    > >> background when you start Windows. FF is not in any way integrated in
    > >> that manner. But what's a couple of seconds when you are waiting for
    > >> something good to come. :)
    > >>

    > > Please explain how "IE is integrated with the OS".

    > explorer.exe[Key Windows GUI component] + iexplore.exe[self explanatory]
    > = Internet Explorer

    Au Contrare. > Litepc.com < Download the demo. I'm street legal ever
    since 98Lite. I've got xphome/sp2 down to 14 running processes if I'm
    not online. No IE(spit), just the IE html rendering engine. Quid Erat
    Demonstrandum.

    WhereverHughGo, Oct 4, 2005
  10. The One

    ar@x Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:28:01 +0100, The One wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?

    > You can make IE look like a snail with these two extensions for
    > FireFox.
    > Fasterfox v0.6.5
    > Fox Preloader v1.0 build 366
    > Good Luck

    FYI - there is now Fasterfox v0.7.2 at
    http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

    --
    Kes

    ar@x, Oct 6, 2005
  11. The One

    Old Gringo Guest

    Cool, Thanks ar@x
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Freedom For The World 10/6/05 4:35:04 PM
    http://www.nuboy-industries.com

    Old Gringo, Oct 6, 2005
  12. The One

    Wayne Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:46:00 +0200, in the alt.fan.mozilla Without
    > Any Hesitation ar@x Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>> You can make IE look like a snail with these two extensions for
    >>> FireFox.
    >>> Fasterfox v0.6.5
    >>> Fox Preloader v1.0 build 366
    >>> Good Luck

    >> FYI - there is now Fasterfox v0.7.2 at
    >> http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

    > Cool, Thanks ar@x

    I just downloaded Fasterfox 0.7.2 and it screams!
    Thank you.
    Wayne

    Wayne, Oct 6, 2005
  13. The One

    SteveG Guest

    Wayne wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:46:00 +0200, in the alt.fan.mozilla Without
    >> Any Hesitation ar@x Wrote The Following:

    >>> FYI - there is now Fasterfox v0.7.2 at
    >>> http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

    >> Cool, Thanks ar@x

    > I just downloaded Fasterfox 0.7.2 and it screams!
    > Thank you.
    > Wayne

    Back you go then... 0.7.3 now available on the site :)

    I know it makes FF faster but blimey it still can't keep up with the
    updates :))

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Oct 7, 2005
  14. The One

    Pete Guest

    The One wrote:
    > Is there anyway to make FF as fast as IE, and how do I do it?

    Sorry I caught this late, but I'm not sure what you guys are talking about
    here (eg how long it takes for the home page to load after you click on FF,
    or what).

    I can guarantee you my firefox (1.0.7, as well as previous version 1.0.6)
    loads web pages *faster* than IE, especially my startup page (but that is
    irrevelent, because FF seems to load all web pages faster, while I'm
    surfing).

    So what are you guys talking about here. I can easily prove what I am
    saying (but I can't show you- lol). In other words it takes considerably
    and noticeably longer to load my start page in IE than in firefox.

    Pete

    Pete, Oct 23, 2005