    do with just the internal flash. I might also add that between the big
    wide-angle lens the 420ex sitting on top, my little G2 is starting to look
    fearsome for a little ole non-SLR digital camera. :)

    Steve Wilbur, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Steve Wilbur

    Brownie Guest

    "Steve Wilbur" <> wrote in message
    news:ultramafic-2311030159030001@192.168.0.100...
    > Well, I have been wanting an external flash for some time now, but the
    > recent addition of the wide angle lens kinda makes it mandatory. Anyway, I
    > got the 420ex because the 500-series was just too damned big for my
    > tastes. All I can say is that indoor photos look SO much better than they
    > do with just the internal flash. I might also add that between the big
    > wide-angle lens the 420ex sitting on top, my little G2 is starting to look
    > fearsome for a little ole non-SLR digital camera. :)

    Why do the pics improve?

    What are you shooting indoors? If you are shooting something some distance
    away then the G2 flash may be too small and hence under-exposed pictures
    previously could now benefit from the flash. I find that the G2 built in
    flash is quite powerful for a compact, so for portraits and small groups at
    social events it is fine. Any external flash would also sit on the hotshoe
    if you aren't using a bracket so there won't be much difference in flash
    position. Maybe if you are using a wide angle the standard flash has
    flall-off at the edges? I wondered why there is an improvement?

    Brownie, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Steve Wilbur

    ehurwitz Guest

    I've used a 420EX flash with a bracket and off-shoe cord and the G-2. It
    looks good and does an excellent job. I've used this setup at wedding
    receptions very successfully.

    ehurwitz, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Steve Wilbur

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    Now all you need is a LumiQuest ProMax for a combination of bounce (80%) and
    direct (20%) flash and other options to improve your indoor photos another
    level. And also to provide another level of fearsome look...
    www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm

    Mick Ruthven, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Steve Wilbur

    Steve Wilbur Guest

    In article <bpqhg5$1m0r8f$-berlin.de>, "Brownie"
    <> wrote:
    > What are you shooting indoors? If you are shooting something some distance
    > away then the G2 flash may be too small and hence under-exposed pictures
    > previously could now benefit from the flash. I find that the G2 built in
    > flash is quite powerful for a compact, so for portraits and small groups at
    > social events it is fine. Any external flash would also sit on the hotshoe
    > if you aren't using a bracket so there won't be much difference in flash
    > position. Maybe if you are using a wide angle the standard flash has
    > flall-off at the edges? I wondered why there is an improvement?

    Well, for one thing, when shooting people indoors, it's practically
    impossible for me to NOT get red-eye, no matter how the camera is set,
    when using the internal flash. Using the external, I can bounce the flash
    off the ceiling and this seems to fix the problem.

    For another, when taking photos of paintings and such which are behind
    glass, the internal flash simply makes a huge-ass reflection on the glass
    and ruins the picture. With the external, I can bounce it off the ceiling
    and get no detection glass reflection from what I'm taking a picture of.

    Steve Wilbur, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Steve Wilbur

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bpqhg5$1m0r8f$-berlin.de>, mailbox100
    @btinternet.com says...
    > Why do the pics improve?

    Two words -- bounce flash.

    --