Speeding up programs AND background tasks?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mama Bear, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
    ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
    manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
    few seconds until it stops.

    I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into control
    panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of programs, in the
    CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of things run really jerky,
    like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen graphics when it does the moves.

    So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of either
    having some things work right or others, but I want both.

    But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was suggesting
    adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I have a socket for
    one ) would it automatically help this situation and make the
    machine run much faster?

    Would it need special software to take advantage of the two CPU's?

    --
    - Mama Bear
    Mama Bear, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Mama Bear

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mama Bear" <> wrote in message
    >I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
    > ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
    > manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
    > few seconds until it stops.

    <snip>

    Maybe you need more system memory. Since you never mentioned WHICH
    operating system that you use (Windows, Linux, whatever), and WHICH version
    of that OS, and WHICH file system (FAT, NTFS, other), maybe you need to
    defragment your hard drive(s), or maybe you need to use msconfig.exe, if
    available, to reduce how many programs load on startup (assuming those
    programs don't provide that option to NOT load on startup).

    --
    How to post:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    Vanguard, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Mama Bear

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns975F985A9B548Mama@216.196.97.142,
    Mama Bear spewed forth:
    > I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
    > ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
    > manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
    > few seconds until it stops.
    >
    > I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into control
    > panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of programs, in the
    > CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of things run really jerky,
    > like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen graphics when it does the moves.
    >
    > So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of either
    > having some things work right or others, but I want both.
    >
    > But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was suggesting
    > adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I have a socket for
    > one ) would it automatically help this situation and make the
    > machine run much faster?

    Yes, probably. But it's rare to find a dual processor board without two
    processors already installed.

    > Would it need special software to take advantage of the two CPU's?

    XP Pro instead of XP Home.

    Here's a possible alternative. If it's only HotDog that needs the priority
    change, then change that one. Start the program, press Ctrl-Alt-Del for the
    task manager, and find HotDog in the processes list. Rightclick, select set
    priority, pick a higher setting. (Here's the catch: I don't know if it will
    remember that next time...)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote :

    > In news:Xns975F985A9B548Mama@216.196.97.142,
    > Mama Bear spewed forth:
    >> I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
    >> ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
    >> manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter
    >> every few seconds until it stops.
    >>
    >> I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into
    >> control panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of
    >> programs, in the CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of
    >> things run really jerky, like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen
    >> graphics when it does the moves.
    >>
    >> So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of
    >> either having some things work right or others, but I want
    >> both.
    >>
    >> But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was
    >> suggesting adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I
    >> have a socket for one ) would it automatically help this
    >> situation and make the machine run much faster?

    > Yes, probably. But it's rare to find a dual processor board
    > without two processors already installed.
    >

    >> Would it need special software to take advantage of the two
    >> CPU's?

    > XP Pro instead of XP Home.
    >

    > Here's a possible alternative. If it's only HotDog that needs
    > the priority change, then change that one. Start the program,
    > press Ctrl-Alt-Del for the task manager, and find HotDog in
    > the processes list. Rightclick, select set priority, pick a
    > higher setting. (Here's the catch: I don't know if it will
    > remember that next time...)

    Worth a try, thanks.

    --
    - Mama Bear
    Mama Bear, Feb 4, 2006
  5. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote :

    > "Mama Bear" <> wrote in message
    >>I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
    >> ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
    >> manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter
    >> every few seconds until it stops.

    ><snip>
    >
    > Maybe you need more system memory. Since you never mentioned
    > WHICH operating system that you use (Windows, Linux,
    > whatever)

    XP Home Edition.

    Mama Bear, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Mama Bear

    NC Guest

    Mama Bear <> wrote:

    >I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
    >ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
    >manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter every
    >few seconds until it stops.
    >
    >I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into control
    >panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of programs, in the
    >CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of things run really jerky,
    >like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen graphics when it does the moves.
    >
    >So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of either
    >having some things work right or others, but I want both.
    >
    >But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was suggesting
    >adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I have a socket for
    >one ) would it automatically help this situation and make the
    >machine run much faster?
    >
    >Would it need special software to take advantage of the two CPU's?

    Junk and bunk. Uninstall "short keys" whatever that is, sounds like
    junk and probably grabbing processes in use already by another
    application. End run, you can't have both w/out influencing the
    programmers of the applications in influencing the processes used.

    Good luck.

    NC
    (Two CPUs making the same mistake is the destination of tragedy.)
    NC, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    NC <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear <> wrote:
    >
    >>I use HotDog as my web editor and it's been tripping up with
    >>ShortKeys and crashing ShortKeys sometimes too, but it mostly
    >>manifests itself as stalling HotDog and typing out 1 letter
    >>every few seconds until it stops.
    >>
    >>I contacted HotDog about it and they suggested going into
    >>control panel and prioritizing background tasks instead of
    >>programs, in the CPU time setting. But this makes a lot of
    >>things run really jerky, like Chessmaster 9000's on-screen
    >>graphics when it does the moves.
    >>
    >>So I seem to be faced with an either-or situation here, of
    >>either having some things work right or others, but I want
    >>both.
    >>
    >>But I'm running a AMD XP 1600+ machine and someone was
    >>suggesting adding a second CPU.S. If I did that ( assuming I
    >>have a socket for one ) would it automatically help this
    >>situation and make the machine run much faster?
    >>
    >>Would it need special software to take advantage of the two
    >>CPU's?

    > Junk and bunk. Uninstall "short keys" whatever that is,
    > sounds like junk and probably grabbing processes in use
    > already by another application.

    Hey, Shortkeys is one of the most useful shareware programs I've
    ever tried, so much so that I paid for it!

    --
    - Mama Bear
    Mama Bear, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Mama Bear

    DAVID GETLIN Guest

    i have a problem..........how do i delete wallpaper designs i don't
    want...........i right click on desktop, click properties and click on
    desktop again...........there are so many wallpaper designs i would like to
    delete.........how do i do this.........thanks..............dg

    DAVID GETLIN, Mar 2, 2006