Speedfan CPU temperature monitor problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bazzer Smith, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    see what the CPU temperature was.
    Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    does such lofty thing apparently.

    It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    but they were something like:-

    Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    it!!).

    I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!

    Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    audible.

    Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    and quiet no roaring fan.

    I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.

    I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    reading.
    Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 27, 2006

  2. "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    > see what the CPU temperature was.
    > Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    > does such lofty thing apparently.
    >
    > It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    > but they were something like:-
    >
    > Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    > it!!).
    >
    > I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    > I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    > but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >
    > Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    > up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    > audible.
    >
    > Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    > and quiet no roaring fan.
    >
    > I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    > program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >
    > I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    > reading.
    > Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

    I used motherboard monitor a while ago not sure if its still the latest and
    best but it worked well for me... http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    Ketchup is Evil, Apr 27, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Ketchup is Evil" <> wrote in message

    > "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    >> see what the CPU temperature was.
    >> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    >> does such lofty thing apparently.
    >>
    >> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    >> but they were something like:-
    >>
    >> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    >> it!!).
    >>
    >> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    >> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    >> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >>
    >> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    >> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    >> audible.
    >>
    >> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    >> and quiet no roaring fan.
    >>
    >> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    >> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >>
    >> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    >> reading.
    >> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

    > I used motherboard monitor a while ago not sure if its still the latest
    > and best but it worked well for me... http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    I don't think it supports my mobo, its not listed there but then
    it's a 'special' for the PC manufacturer, you can't buy it seperately
    I believe.Maybe thats why I get those weird results.

    I am 100% sure its not 109 degrees C, I think I would smell
    burning or see smoke!! (and thats at 1% CPU) plus I can
    cannot hear the fan at all, all appears to be running quet and cool
    so I think I will just ignore those readings as erroneous ones.
    Thanks anyway.

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 27, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    VanShania Guest

    Go into your bios and see what it reports for a temp.

    --
    GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
    2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5

    3DMark 05 Free Scores- Overall 1815, Cpu 4535
    Max Performance Graphic Settings, 1024X768

    Games I'm Playing-
    Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
    Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
    Civ IV

    VanShania, Apr 27, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    Jerry Guest

    Bazzer Smith wrote:
    > I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    > see what the CPU temperature was.
    > Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    > does such lofty thing apparently.
    >
    > It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    > but they were something like:-
    >
    > Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    > it!!).
    >
    > I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    > I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    > but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >
    > Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    > up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    > audible.
    >
    > Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    > and quiet no roaring fan.
    >
    > I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    > program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >
    > I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    > reading.
    > Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

    Don't ignore the readings. I had a CPU (XP 3200+) running at 90 C
    because the fins were clogged with dust. I didn't smell anything
    burning and glad I caught it when I did. Because it got so hot, it
    would never run at the full 200 mhz FSB it was supposed to without the
    system randomly rebooting. I had to underclock the CPU and I finally
    have upgraded my CPU with a newer faster one (A64 3700+) along with an
    ASUS A8N32 SLI mobo. As to it being quieter, take off the case cover
    and make sure the fan is turning on the CPU. Even new CPU fans can go
    bad. If it has stopped running, the CPU could easily get to 104 C.

    Jerry, Apr 27, 2006
  6. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >> I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    >> see what the CPU temperature was.
    >> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    >> does such lofty thing apparently.
    >>
    >> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    >> but they were something like:-
    >>
    >> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    >> it!!).
    >>
    >> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    >> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    >> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >>
    >> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    >> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    >> audible.
    >>
    >> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    >> and quiet no roaring fan.
    >>
    >> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    >> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >>
    >> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    >> reading.
    >> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.
    >>

    > Don't ignore the readings. I had a CPU (XP 3200+) running at 90 C because
    > the fins were clogged with dust. I didn't smell anything burning and glad
    > I caught it when I did. Because it got so hot, it would never run at the
    > full 200 mhz FSB it was supposed to without the system randomly rebooting.
    > I had to underclock the CPU and I finally have upgraded my CPU with a
    > newer faster one (A64 3700+) along with an ASUS A8N32 SLI mobo. As to it
    > being quieter, take off the case cover and make sure the fan is turning on
    > the CPU. Even new CPU fans can go bad. If it has stopped running, the
    > CPU could easily get to 104 C.

    I just had a look in the BIOS and all is will CPU was 35 degrees C.
    Fan is running. it nearly took the tip of my finger off when I 'tested' it.

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 27, 2006
  7. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Just checked in BIOS and it said 35C which sounds fine to me.
    The reports of 109C for CPU2 are obviously wrong.

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 27, 2006
  8. Bazzer Smith

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Basser Smith' wrote:
    |I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    | see what the CPU temperature was.
    | Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    | does such lofty thing apparently.
    |
    | It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    | but they were something like:-
    |
    | Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    | it!!).
    |
    | I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    | I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    | but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    _____

    There are several types of temperature sensors. The two most common in PCs
    are thermistors and diodes. Thermistors don't use the same conversion
    factor as diodes. Usually when you have a completely unreasonable
    temperature, the conversion factor is set incorrectly in the display
    program. The 105 C reading is likely caused by a setting for a thermistor,
    when the sensor is actually a diode.

    Just looking at your three sensor readings, if 24 C is the room temperature:

    the 27 C is likely the motherboard temperature, not the CPU temperature

    the 104 C is likely the CPU, but with the wrong conversion factor - it is
    reading about 50 C too high.

    A CPU temperature when the CPU is not under a heavy processing load is too
    high, especially if you are interested in overclocking.

    Getting the CPU temperature from the BIOS is not a very good indication of
    running temperature, because you have just booted up the computer, and very
    little processing is going on.

    You should check your cooling:
    ventilation of the system case
    dust in the heatsink fins
    thermal compound and mating of the CPU to the heatsink.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Apr 27, 2006
  9. Bazzer Smith

    Guest

    As for Hmonitor, much probably you have not tuned the program, ie set
    right sensor types.
    And, 3rd sensor entry may be not connected at all, giving you wild
    values.

    , Apr 28, 2006
  10. Bazzer Smith

    VanShania Guest

    The best and most accurate software to check temps would probably be with
    the software that came with your motherboard or "Motherboard Moniter". Your
    can get it at majorgeeks http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads7.html

    --
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
    MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner
    PATA WD 80+120 Gb HD 8mb buffers
    Pioneer 110D+Liteon 1693S Dual Layer burner
    Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
    Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
    Cheap computer speakers with Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones

    3DMark05Free-Overall 4006 Original Drivers
    Cpu 4264
    3Dmark2001 - 17680

    VanShania, Apr 28, 2006
  11. Bazzer Smith

    Mark Mandell Guest

    >I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    > see what the CPU temperature was.
    > Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    > does such lofty thing apparently.
    >
    > It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    > but they were something like:-
    >
    > Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    > it!!).
    >
    > I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    > I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    > but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >
    > Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    > up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    > audible.
    >
    > Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    > and quiet no roaring fan.
    >
    > I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    > program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >
    > I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    > reading.
    > Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

    HWinfo32 is another program to check out cpu temp and provides other info on
    the hardware as well along the lines of SisSoft Sandra.

    Mark Mandell, Apr 28, 2006
  12. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Doesn't seem to work "Main Sensor Chip : None"

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 29, 2006
  13. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message

    > "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    >> see what the CPU temperature was.
    >> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    >> does such lofty thing apparently.
    >>
    >> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    >> but they were something like:-
    >>
    >> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    >> it!!).
    >>
    >> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    >> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    >> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >>
    >> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    >> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    >> audible.
    >>
    >> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    >> and quiet no roaring fan.
    >>
    >> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    >> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >>
    >> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    >> reading.
    >> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.
    >>

    > HWinfo32 is another program to check out cpu temp and provides other info
    > on the hardware as well along the lines of SisSoft Sandra.

    AH HA!!!! One which works at last!! (HWinfo32), it gives a reading of 51C,
    is that OK?

    Actually I just tried another program, Hmonitor and that is now working too
    so I am not sure what happened there (it read 109 before) I think one of the
    programs I tried 'fixed' the problem somehow, possible SisSoft Sandra
    or maybe HWwinfo32 did it one on an earlier run (it crashed first time).

    I won't try speedfan cos it made my fan speed up.

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 29, 2006
  14. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    It's also a really weird program IMO.

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 29, 2006
  15. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    > "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    >>> see what the CPU temperature was.
    >>> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    >>> does such lofty thing apparently.
    >>>
    >>> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    >>> but they were something like:-
    >>>
    >>> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    >>> it!!).
    >>>
    >>> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    >>> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    >>> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >>>
    >>> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    >>> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    >>> audible.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    >>> and quiet no roaring fan.
    >>>
    >>> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    >>> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >>>
    >>> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    >>> reading.
    >>> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.
    >>>

    >> HWinfo32 is another program to check out cpu temp and provides other info
    >> on the hardware as well along the lines of SisSoft Sandra.

    > AH HA!!!! One which works at last!! (HWinfo32), it gives a reading of
    > 51C,
    > is that OK?
    >
    > Actually I just tried another program, Hmonitor and that is now working
    > too
    > so I am not sure what happened there (it read 109 before) I think one of
    > the
    > programs I tried 'fixed' the problem somehow, possible SisSoft Sandra
    > or maybe HWwinfo32 did it one on an earlier run (it crashed first time).
    >

    > I won't try speedfan cos it made my fan speed up.

    I just tried again and now both programs don't give the temperature
    at all. Weird.

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Bazzer Smith

    Mark Mandell Guest

    > "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
    >>> see what the CPU temperature was.
    >>> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
    >>> does such lofty thing apparently.
    >>>
    >>> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
    >>> but they were something like:-
    >>>
    >>> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
    >>> it!!).
    >>>
    >>> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
    >>> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
    >>> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
    >>>
    >>> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
    >>> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
    >>> audible.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
    >>> and quiet no roaring fan.
    >>>
    >>> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
    >>> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
    >>>
    >>> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
    >>> reading.
    >>> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.
    >>>

    >> HWinfo32 is another program to check out cpu temp and provides other info
    >> on the hardware as well along the lines of SisSoft Sandra.

    > AH HA!!!! One which works at last!! (HWinfo32), it gives a reading of
    > 51C,
    > is that OK?
    >
    > Actually I just tried another program, Hmonitor and that is now working
    > too
    > so I am not sure what happened there (it read 109 before) I think one of
    > the
    > programs I tried 'fixed' the problem somehow, possible SisSoft Sandra
    > or maybe HWwinfo32 did it one on an earlier run (it crashed first time).
    >

    > I won't try speedfan cos it made my fan speed up.

    Well, in my case the cpu reading from HWinfo32 was pretty exactly was the
    figure given the Intel Desktop utility which provides monitoring info for my
    mobo. So you can probably assume that 51 C is correct(that is if it's
    consistent with my experience).

    Mark

    Mark Mandell, Apr 30, 2006
  17. Bazzer Smith

    > "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message

    >>> HWinfo32 is another program to check out cpu temp and provides other
    >>> info on the hardware as well along the lines of SisSoft Sandra.

    >> AH HA!!!! One which works at last!! (HWinfo32), it gives a reading of
    >> 51C,
    >> is that OK?
    >>
    >> Actually I just tried another program, Hmonitor and that is now working
    >> too
    >> so I am not sure what happened there (it read 109 before) I think one of
    >> the
    >> programs I tried 'fixed' the problem somehow, possible SisSoft Sandra
    >> or maybe HWwinfo32 did it one on an earlier run (it crashed first time).
    >>

    >> I won't try speedfan cos it made my fan speed up.

    > Well, in my case the cpu reading from HWinfo32 was pretty exactly was the
    > figure given the Intel Desktop utility which provides monitoring info for
    > my mobo. So you can probably assume that 51 C is correct(that is if it's
    > consistent with my experience).

    51C is the kind of figure I would have expected, but unfortunately I can't
    get the programs to work again for some reason which is a bit weird.
    I don't know if I did something which made it work once and then 'undid'
    it or whether there is some other factor involved.
    So I don't think I have a temperatue problem but there does seem to
    be a problem reading the temperature sensor or actually 'finding'
    the temperature sensor in the first place!! It might be to do with drivers
    or because it is non standard manufacturers system. (HP Pavillion a1307).

    Bazzer Smith, Apr 30, 2006