speed v security

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ButchKersh, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Any information would be appreciated regarding the following situation.

    Last week, one of my e-mail addresses - excite.com- acted strangely, it
    would not post the e-mail in-box message after I clicked on it(all other
    boxes worked). This went on for two days- I reported it. Also, at the same
    time, I noticed spoofs or phish from e-bay, Amazon and pay-pal maybe others.
    I again reported these to those sites through different windows and not
    opening any attachments. All concerned replied to me stating that yes,
    these were spoofs and phish and yadda yadda- I continued to get more spoofs
    and phish after the in-box messages came back on excite.com who also has a
    big red warning on the site-

    Since then, my PC has been very slow on IE web pages especially those with a
    lot of download items and any videos attached. I have been playing with
    security settings and did notice an improvement after first resetting to
    defaults which is mostly medium security to low security, but it is not up
    to what it was.

    System details: e-machine PC (almost 3 years old), XP home, IE, spybot,
    ad-aware, CA AV, all the cleaning was done, de-frag, etc.- I deleted any
    unnecessary programs- still not satisfied with speed- but I also have
    security concerns- (No broadband (Verizon) problem since I have another PC
    on a router that is working fine speed wise)

    Thanks in advance to any responses
    ButchKersh, Jan 18, 2006

  2. ButchKersh

    Salvatore Guest

    ButchKersh blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Any information woul

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

    --
    Your mother was a mindless petrol-pump attendant who burnt rubber dog turds
    on the roof of her house.
    Salvatore, Jan 18, 2006

  3. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    "Salvatore" <> wrote in message
    > ButchKersh blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Any information woul

    > ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a mindless petrol-pump attendant who burnt rubber dog
    > turds
    > on the roof of her house.

    Gee, thanks, I have asked many questions on this group and have received
    prompt and polite answers, not unlike a Jurassic moron like you- (excuse me
    for lowering dinosaur's intelligence).
    ButchKersh, Jan 19, 2006
  4. ButchKersh

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:r%Azf.23466$US3.15080@trnddc04,
    ButchKersh spewed forth:
    > "Salvatore" <> wrote in message
    >> ButchKersh blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Any information woul

    >> ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    >>
    >> --
    >> Your mother was a mindless petrol-pump attendant who burnt rubber dog
    >> turds
    >> on the roof of her house.
    >>

    > Gee, thanks, I have asked many questions on this group and have
    > received prompt and polite answers, not unlike a Jurassic moron like
    > you- (excuse me for lowering dinosaur's intelligence).

    You're replying to a 'bot' - a retard's attempt at humor through
    scriptwriting. Or something like that. Don't waste your time.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 19, 2006
  5. ButchKersh

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:OBzzf.28762$MG1.23928@trnddc05,
    ButchKersh spewed forth:
    > Any information would be appreciated regarding the following
    > situation.
    > Last week, one of my e-mail addresses - excite.com- acted strangely,
    > it would not post the e-mail in-box message after I clicked on it(all
    > other boxes worked). This went on for two days- I reported it. Also, at
    > the same time, I noticed spoofs or phish from e-bay, Amazon
    > and pay-pal maybe others. I again reported these to those sites
    > through different windows and not opening any attachments. All
    > concerned replied to me stating that yes, these were spoofs and phish
    > and yadda yadda- I continued to get more spoofs and phish after the
    > in-box messages came back on excite.com who also has a big red
    > warning on the site-
    > Since then, my PC has been very slow on IE web pages especially those
    > with a lot of download items and any videos attached. I have been
    > playing with security settings and did notice an improvement after
    > first resetting to defaults which is mostly medium security to low
    > security, but it is not up to what it was.
    >
    > System details: e-machine PC (almost 3 years old), XP home, IE,
    > spybot, ad-aware, CA AV, all the cleaning was done, de-frag, etc.- I
    > deleted any unnecessary programs- still not satisfied with speed- but
    > I also have security concerns- (No broadband (Verizon) problem since
    > I have another PC on a router that is working fine speed wise)
    >
    > Thanks in advance to any responses

    I see you've scanned for malicious software - Spybot Search & Destroy and
    Adaware are two of the best. Try one more:

    Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta for XP
    <Http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en>

    While far from perfect, it may give you a better idea what's going on. It
    has a background monitor function that will alert you if suspicious software
    is attempting to use your internet connection.

    If that doesn't help, you may need to post a hijackthis log - download the
    program from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 19, 2006
  6. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Thank you Tim, will do - it still is going slow - yea, I thought I tried
    everything-

    this is an interesting and fun NG except for some idiots like "Salvatore"

    ButchKersh, Jan 19, 2006
  7. ButchKersh

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:BpBzf.24156$h47.16488@trnddc08,
    ButchKersh spewed forth:
    > Thank you Tim, will do - it still is going slow - yea, I thought I
    > tried everything-
    >
    > this is an interesting and fun NG except for some idiots like
    > "Salvatore"

    Yeah - there's a good supply of trolls here <grin>
    Toolman Tim, Jan 19, 2006