    of connections quickly and will suffer in speed because of this security
    feature.
    The setting is hardcoded in tcpip.sys so the fix is to patch this file. A patch
    is available at www.lvllord.de

    Craig Shore, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > The setting is hardcoded in tcpip.sys so the fix is to patch this file. A
    > patch is available at www.lvllord.de

    Probably a violation of the EULA and may leave anyone doing it open to being
    sued.

    Or use Linux.

    steve, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:40:23 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> The setting is hardcoded in tcpip.sys so the fix is to patch this file. A
    >> patch is available at www.lvllord.de

    >Probably a violation of the EULA and may leave anyone doing it open to being
    >sued.
    >
    >Or use Linux.

    If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their dishwasher would
    you answer telling them they should have the machine running on linux?

    Craig Shore, Jan 12, 2006
  4. On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:21:43 +1300, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >>Or use Linux.

    >If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their dishwasher would
    >you answer telling them they should have the machine running on linux?

    Yes?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_(washing_powder)
    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Craig Shore

    smf Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:40:23 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Craig Shore wrote:
    >>
    >>> The setting is hardcoded in tcpip.sys so the fix is to patch this file. A
    >>> patch is available at www.lvllord.de

    >> Probably a violation of the EULA and may leave anyone doing it open to being
    >> sued.
    >>
    >> Or use Linux.

    > If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their dishwasher would
    > you answer telling them they should have the machine running on linux?

    maybe if its a top loader?
    ;)

    smf, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Craig Shore

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:21:31 +1300, Kristofer Clayton wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:21:43 +1300, Craig Shore
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Or use Linux.

    >>If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their dishwasher
    >>would you answer telling them they should have the machine running on
    >>linux?

    > Yes?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_(washing_powder) --
    > Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    > Gisborne, New Zealand

    Let me guess... no viruses and worms left after that lots been through
    :)
    --
    So little time, so little to do.
    -- Oscar Levant

    Shane, Jan 12, 2006
  7. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:40:23 +1300, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Craig Shore wrote:
    >>
    >>> The setting is hardcoded in tcpip.sys so the fix is to patch this file.
    >>> A patch is available at www.lvllord.de

    >>Probably a violation of the EULA and may leave anyone doing it open to
    >>being sued.
    >>
    >>Or use Linux.

    > If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their dishwasher
    > would you answer telling them they should have the machine running on
    > linux?

    Poor analogy.

    I offered a solution to the problem of limited connections AND any
    subsidiary legal issues.

    Windows comes with a prescriptive and restrictive EULA dictating what you
    can and cannot do with THEIR software.

    I would imagine patching it without their approval might be deemed to be a
    violation of that 'agrement', in part because without the source code you
    would have had to reverse-engineer the software.....which is legally
    dubious under US law....(DMCA).

    steve, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:03:19 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:40:23 +1300, steve
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Probably a violation of the EULA and may leave anyone doing it open to
    >>>being sued.
    >>>
    >>>Or use Linux.

    >> If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their dishwasher
    >> would you answer telling them they should have the machine running on
    >> linux?

    >Poor analogy.
    >
    >I offered a solution to the problem of limited connections AND any
    >subsidiary legal issues.

    The solution I posted was a simple one, and allowed the user to keep everything
    else as is. Your answer to that was to scrap everything they have, and are
    familiar with, and start again.

    The reason for my response was you guys answer just about every damm thread with
    "ditch windows and get linux". It's about time you realised some people
    actually *like* using windows, and if it has a few faults we'll find a work
    around for them.

    >Windows comes with a prescriptive and restrictive EULA dictating what you
    >can and cannot do with THEIR software.

    You ever speed in your car?

    >I would imagine patching it without their approval might be deemed to be a
    >violation of that 'agrement', in part because without the source code you
    >would have had to reverse-engineer the software.....which is legally
    >dubious under US law....(DMCA).

    Umm, where are we located again? And the guy providing the patch is in .de,
    which is Germany.

    BTW Does the USA's DCMA dissallow software to be imported that originated in
    another country that used reverse emgineering to create it in that originating
    country?

    Craig Shore, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:03:19 +1300, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their dishwasher
    >>> would you answer telling them they should have the machine running on
    >>> linux?

    >>Poor analogy.
    >>
    >>I offered a solution to the problem of limited connections AND any
    >>subsidiary legal issues.

    > The solution I posted was a simple one, and allowed the user to keep
    > everything
    > else as is. Your answer to that was to scrap everything they have, and
    > are familiar with, and start again.

    Linux is that different to Windows from the user's point of view. Icons,
    click on stuff to make it go......off the Desktop (same word) or a "Lauch"
    or "Applications" menu instead of "Start".....

    Whatever the quibbles there, if the person wants legal, unrestricted numbers
    of possible connections, Linux is an overall better answer than yours if
    yours is illegal or violates the EULA.

    > The reason for my response was you guys answer just about every damm
    > thread with
    > "ditch windows and get linux".

    ......and are we wrong? It might not be the answer YOU like...but it very
    often is a perfectly valid answer to the problem posed.

    > It's about time you realised some people
    > actually *like* using windows, and if it has a few faults we'll find a
    > work around for them.

    I know many people like using Windows. I also know that over time the
    marketing-based functional and legal restrictions Microsoft places on the
    use of Windows DO represent a problem for the user that forces them to
    either do illegal things or seek alternatives.

    It's about you realised that not everyone wants to stick with Windows - come
    what may - and resort to illegal or legally dubious solutions to Windows
    problems.....like the 10 connection marketing restriction which is intended
    to make you buy Windows Server of some version or other to overcome.

    From a legal perspective if you're going to violate the Windows EULA, you
    may as well pirate the damn thing as you are obtaining function you have
    not paid for from the license you have if it is XP Home.

    >>Windows comes with a prescriptive and restrictive EULA dictating what you
    >>can and cannot do with THEIR software.

    > You ever speed in your car?

    Two wrongs don't make you right, I'm afraid.

    steve, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Craig Shore

    MarkH Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:40:23 +1300, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Craig Shore wrote:
    >>
    >>> The setting is hardcoded in tcpip.sys so the fix is to patch this
    >>> file. A patch is available at www.lvllord.de

    >>Probably a violation of the EULA and may leave anyone doing it open to
    >>being sued.
    >>
    >>Or use Linux.

    > If someone asks you what powder they should be using in their
    > dishwasher would you answer telling them they should have the machine
    > running on linux?

    A better analogy would be if someone asked what laundry detergent was
    the best for use in their new top loading washing machine. The stupid
    fanatic answer would be that they should throw away their top loader and
    get a front loader instead because the front loading washing machines
    use less water, power and detergent and are more gentle on the clothes -
    all while getting the clothes just as clean as a top loader.

    While the advantages I mentioned for a front loading washing machine are
    completely true, it doesn't help someone that just bought a top loader
    and just wants to know what powder to buy. Just because the fanatic is
    correct about the point he makes that does not make his/her suggestion a
    worthwhile one. There are also a couple of other considerations that
    may make the top loading machine a better choice for the person asking
    about the powder (quicker washes and lower purchase price).

    Coming back to computers and their OSs:
    Linux certainly is a better OS in many ways, but there are also plenty
    of good reasons to use WinXP. Some of us like to play some games that
    are only available for Windows. There are some particular apps that
    people need to use that require Windows.

    Of course for the user that just needs basic E-Mail, Web and word-
    processing (that would be a reasonable number of computer users) then
    Linux could be worth considering.

    For me it is not a big problem, I have several computers and can run
    WinXP on one and Linux on the others.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jan 13, 2006
  11. Craig Shore

    MarkH Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > Just reposting this one as I posted it in another thread here and it
    > might have been missed by some interested.
    >
    > As the www site says, use it at your own risk.
    >
    > While talking p2p, there is an article in the Dec PC User Mag that
    > might be of interest to some here. If you have SP2 installed in Win
    > XP it limits the number of half open connections to 10. A half open
    > connection is one your machine has made that hasn't had a reply from
    > the other machine yet. This is to slow worms and trojans using your
    > machine to send themselves out by trying to make connections to
    > thousands of machines.

    I very much doubt that reason! MS may try to convince people that the
    limitations that they place on WinXP are to benefit the customers, but the
    10 connections thing is their crippleware solution to encouraging customers
    to pay more for the server OS.

    Of course I could be completely wrong here, but since I know that WinXP pro
    limits the number of network connections to 10 and WinXP home limits the
    number to 5 then this 10 TCP connections thing would seem to stem from the
    WinXP limits to keep it unusable as a server.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jan 13, 2006
  12. Craig Shore

    shannon Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Craig Shore <> wrote in
    >

    >>Just reposting this one as I posted it in another thread here and it
    >>might have been missed by some interested.
    >>
    >>As the www site says, use it at your own risk.
    >>
    >>While talking p2p, there is an article in the Dec PC User Mag that
    >>might be of interest to some here. If you have SP2 installed in Win
    >>XP it limits the number of half open connections to 10. A half open
    >>connection is one your machine has made that hasn't had a reply from
    >>the other machine yet. This is to slow worms and trojans using your
    >>machine to send themselves out by trying to make connections to
    >>thousands of machines.

    > I very much doubt that reason! MS may try to convince people that the
    > limitations that they place on WinXP are to benefit the customers, but the
    > 10 connections thing is their crippleware solution to encouraging customers
    > to pay more for the server OS.
    >
    > Of course I could be completely wrong here, but since I know that WinXP pro
    > limits the number of network connections to 10 and WinXP home limits the
    > number to 5 then this 10 TCP connections thing would seem to stem from the
    > WinXP limits to keep it unusable as a server.

    You may be confusing the Event ID 4226 error limit on half open tcp/ip
    connections or concurrent tcp/ip connection attempts in Windows XP that
    this patch is intended to tweak, with the number of inbound Windows
    networking connections that XP Home or Pro permits.

    shannon, Jan 13, 2006
  13. Craig Shore

    shannon Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Craig Shore <> wrote in
    >

    >>Just reposting this one as I posted it in another thread here and it
    >>might have been missed by some interested.
    >>
    >>As the www site says, use it at your own risk.
    >>
    >>While talking p2p, there is an article in the Dec PC User Mag that
    >>might be of interest to some here. If you have SP2 installed in Win
    >>XP it limits the number of half open connections to 10. A half open
    >>connection is one your machine has made that hasn't had a reply from
    >>the other machine yet. This is to slow worms and trojans using your
    >>machine to send themselves out by trying to make connections to
    >>thousands of machines.

    > I very much doubt that reason! MS may try to convince people that the
    > limitations that they place on WinXP are to benefit the customers, but the
    > 10 connections thing is their crippleware solution to encouraging customers
    > to pay more for the server OS.
    >
    > Of course I could be completely wrong here, but since I know that WinXP pro
    > limits the number of network connections to 10 and WinXP home limits the
    > number to 5 then this 10 TCP connections thing would seem to stem from the
    > WinXP limits to keep it unusable as a server.

    Here you go

    The inbound connection limiting is described here

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314882

    and the Limited number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP
    connection attempts is described here.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx#EIAA

    Limited number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts

    Detailed description

    The TCP/IP stack now limits the number of simultaneous incomplete
    outbound TCP connection attempts. After the limit has been reached,
    subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and will be resolved
    at a fixed rate. Under normal operation, when applications are
    connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no connection
    rate-limiting will occur. When it does occur, a new event, with ID 4226,
    appears in the system’s event log.

    Why is this change important? What threats does it help mitigate?

    This change helps to limit the speed at which malicious programs, such
    as viruses and worms, spread to uninfected computers. Malicious programs
    often attempt to reach uninfected computers by opening simultaneous
    connections to random IP addresses. Most of these random addresses
    result in a failed connection, so a burst of such activity on a computer
    is a signal that it may have been infected by a malicious program.

    What works differently?

    This change may cause certain security tools, such as port scanners, to
    run more slowly.

    How do I resolve these issues?

    Stop the application that is responsible for the failing connection
    attempts.

    shannon, Jan 13, 2006
  14. Craig Shore

    MarkH Guest

    shannon <> wrote in news:43c71a02$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Of course I could be completely wrong here, but since I know that
    >> WinXP pro limits the number of network connections to 10 and WinXP
    >> home limits the number to 5 then this 10 TCP connections thing would
    >> seem to stem from the WinXP limits to keep it unusable as a server.
    >>

    > Here you go
    >
    > The inbound connection limiting is described here
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314882
    >
    > and the Limited number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP
    > connection attempts is described here.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk
    > .mspx#EIAA

    Thanks for the useful info.

    It looks like I was wrong and the limit of 10 connections for outbound
    being the same as the 10 inbound connections is just a coincidence.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jan 13, 2006
  15. T'was the Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:49:30 +1300 when I remembered steve
    <> saying something like this:

    >Linux is that different to Windows from the user's point of view. Icons,
    >click on stuff to make it go......off the Desktop (same word) or a "Lauch"
    >or "Applications" menu instead of "Start".....

    I hate to break it to ya, but things like different words mean a lot
    to some people. From what I've found, if a person is afraid of
    technology, and you start giving them advice, they'll go into dummy
    mode and will need exact (to the word) instructions on what to do. If
    you say programs and it says applications, people will complain that
    the instructions are incorrect because it doesn't say programs.

    Good luck pushing that rock up hill.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 13, 2006
  16. Craig Shore

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:15:01 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >A better analogy would be if someone asked what laundry detergent was
    >the best for use in their new top loading washing machine. The stupid
    >fanatic answer would be that they should throw away their top loader and
    >get a front loader instead because the front loading washing machines
    >use less water, power and detergent and are more gentle on the clothes -
    >all while getting the clothes just as clean as a top loader.

    A better analogy would be your new top loading washing machine will
    only wash 10 items ata time or it slows down and takes a week to
    finish the load.

    Bret, Jan 13, 2006
  17. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:49:30 +1300 when I remembered steve
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Linux is that different to Windows from the user's point of view. Icons,
    >>click on stuff to make it go......off the Desktop (same word) or a "Lauch"
    >>or "Applications" menu instead of "Start".....

    > I hate to break it to ya, but things like different words mean a lot
    > to some people. From what I've found, if a person is afraid of
    > technology, and you start giving them advice, they'll go into dummy
    > mode and will need exact (to the word) instructions on what to do.

    I agree completely. That has been my experience with some people, too.

    > If
    > you say programs and it says applications, people will complain that
    > the instructions are incorrect because it doesn't say programs.
    >
    > Good luck pushing that rock up hill.

    Very much depends on the hill.

    I not one to assume.

    I offer the best advice to anyone who asks for a solution the problem at
    hand.....and it is entirely up to them whether they take it or not.

    Why Craig objects to that is his busines....I'm not much interested in his
    hang-ups about answers he personally doesn't like to questions he didn't
    even ask.

    steve, Jan 13, 2006
  18. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > For me it is not a big problem, I have several computers and can run
    > WinXP on one and Linux on the others.

    But if you wanted to use one of them effectively as a server - needing to be
    able to make more than 10 connections - Windows would be a poor choice.

    The best idea seems to be - if one can manage it - have a Windows PC for
    stuff Windows does well....and have a Linux / OSS PC for stuff you want to
    do where Windwos only gets in the way or isn't as good.

    Gaming? Run Windows.

    P2P? Run Linux.

    Used PCs are so cheap these days that it's easy to get a pretty good system
    for free or close to it.

    steve, Jan 13, 2006
  19. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:15:01 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>A better analogy would be if someone asked what laundry detergent was
    >>the best for use in their new top loading washing machine. The stupid
    >>fanatic answer would be that they should throw away their top loader and
    >>get a front loader instead because the front loading washing machines
    >>use less water, power and detergent and are more gentle on the clothes -
    >>all while getting the clothes just as clean as a top loader.

    > A better analogy would be your new top loading washing machine will
    > only wash 10 items ata time or it slows down and takes a week to
    > finish the load.

    Which is OK if you don't mind.

    steve, Jan 13, 2006
  20. Craig Shore

    steve Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > I very much doubt that reason!  MS may try to convince people that the
    > limitations that they place on WinXP are to benefit the customers, but the
    > 10 connections thing is their crippleware solution to encouraging
    > customers to pay more for the server OS.

    Agreed.

    They brought this in with NT 4.0.....and NT 3.51 was the last uncrippled
    version of NT/XP-based Windows.

    I kept a legal, paid-for copy of NT 3.51 around here for ages until it
    became impossible to install it on new hardware...and Microsoft weren't
    going to make that easy for me.

    Just more lesson on the road to learning not to waste good money on software
    from companies who dictate their choices to me.

    steve, Jan 13, 2006