    server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
    connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
    system??

    nc, Mar 12, 2009

  2. nc

    chuckcar Guest

    nc <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
    > down and 500 Kb/s up. The connection is very slow. However, Internet
    > surfing is fine.

    You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

    > It's just with this application that sits on the main
    > server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
    > connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
    > system??

    And what internet protocol does this mysterious unnamed application *use*?
    Kind of relevant isn't it? If it's a p2p application then there's your
    probable answer: the ISP throttling the p2p speed is pretty common now.

    Assuming it isn't the ISP throttling different protocols to limit their
    speed You could try ftp from a linux distribution site for example - ftp
    is low overhead, so you'll get a pretty accurate number. choose a file
    over 10 meg just so the speed has time to stabilize after starting.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 13, 2009

  3. nc

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> Internet surfing is fine.

    >You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

    Yes, they are both slang for navigating the internet.

    Sorry OP no help unless you could use
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
    --

    20 Pictures That Give Rednecks A Bad Name
    http://tinyurl.com/bsleua

    , Mar 13, 2009
  4. nc

    ProfessorT

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Mediacom FTP Upload Download problems

    Mediacom Internet Service provider also NFG.

    Customer service is terrible.

    Multiple times I was told someone would follow up by an email or phone call - I got neither. One time I can understand, sometimes things slip through the cracks. When you are told by employees of a multi million dollar company that they will call you back you tend to take them on their WORD.

    Mediacom's WORD is worthless and look forward to the day I can close the account.

    When businesses feel there is no competition they think they can continue to give terrible service and expect to maintain customers.

    Yes Mediacom I had a 600MB file i needed to transfer. That took 3-1/2 days at 5kbps average upload speed. My friend transferred the same file which took only 42 minutes with Comcast.

    I jumped through all the hoops for Mediacom. Went to their service center picked up a new modem. Installed alternate FTP software. Even installed a new operating system. Even had my friend bring over his computer to no avail.

    Ive been using FTP since 1995 and consider myself quite knowledgeable, but certainly not a network engineer. And its a real shame when a hack like myself knows more about networking then their level 2 technicians.

    Don't know how many levels of techs they have but I'm sure cheap ass Mediacom only has ONE top level tech for the entire country most likely overworked and underpaid and could give a sh*t less about anybody elses pain! Quite possibly my issue is something that would require Mediacom to replace some expensive router or server,(or just have it configured correctly) certainly if they need to open up their wallet I'll be waiting til the cows come home.

    ProfessorT

    ProfessorT, Mar 13, 2009
  5. nc

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    nc wrote:
    > I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
    > down and 500 Kb/s up.

    Probably because most of the data is flowing up the slow leg of the
    ADSL. For the remote user the VPN will be as fast as the slowest part of
    the link and in this case its 500kb.

    Either use client/server applications or a terminal server. Its also
    worth looking into SDSL

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 13, 2009
  6. nc

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > nc <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
    >> down and 500 Kb/s up. The connection is very slow. However, Internet
    >> surfing is fine.

    > You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?
    >
    >> It's just with this application that sits on the main
    >> server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
    >> connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
    >> system??
    >>

    > And what internet protocol does this mysterious unnamed application *use*?
    > Kind of relevant isn't it? If it's a p2p application then there's your
    > probable answer: the ISP throttling the p2p speed is pretty common now.

    ROFL!

    Do you even know what a VPN is let alone how it works?

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 13, 2009
  7. nc

    chad Guest

    On Mar 13, 4:37 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > chuckcar wrote:
    > > nc <> wrote in

    > >> I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
    > >> down and 500 Kb/s up. The connection is very slow. However, Internet
    > >> surfing is fine.

    > > You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

    > >> It's just with this application that sits on the main
    > >> server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
    > >> connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
    > >> system??

    > > And what internet protocol does this mysterious unnamed application *use*?
    > > Kind of relevant isn't it? If it's a p2p application then there's your
    > > probable answer: the ISP throttling the p2p speed is pretty common now.

    > ROFL!
    >
    > Do you even know what a VPN is let alone how it works?- Hide quoted text -

    I figured that the upload speed would be the problem, but I'm not too
    sure now. Here's why...if I'm at location B and I download a file of
    any size from the server at location A the entire application at B
    slows down to a crawl. For example, you go to look up patient
    information and it takes 20 seconds versus 1-2 seconds.

    The application itself uses FTP to access information. I don't know
    much about it since it was installed by someone else, and is managed
    by another company. I just want to eliminate any bottlenecks I'm
    responsible for. Once that's done and the thing is still slow then I
    can just have the support company for the application take a look.

    -Thanks for the replies

    chad, Mar 13, 2009
  8. nc

    chad Guest

    On Mar 13, 4:36 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > nc wrote:
    > > I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
    > > down and 500 Kb/s up.

    > Probably because most of the data is flowing up the slow leg of the
    > ADSL. For the remote user the VPN will be as fast as the slowest part of
    > the link and in this case its 500kb.
    >
    > Either use client/server applications or a terminal server. Its also
    > worth looking into SDSL

    It is a normal client/server application as far as I know. Terminal
    services could be a good idea, but the server at the other end isn't
    robust enough to deal with 10-15 connections and users slamming it
    locally.

    chad, Mar 13, 2009
  9. nc

    Guest

    chad <> wrote:

    >I figured that the upload speed would be the problem, but I'm not too
    >sure now. Here's why...if I'm at location B and I download a file of
    >any size from the server at location A the entire application at B
    >slows down to a crawl. For example, you go to look up patient
    >information and it takes 20 seconds versus 1-2 seconds.
    >
    >The application itself uses FTP to access information. I don't know
    >much about it since it was installed by someone else, and is managed
    >by another company. I just want to eliminate any bottlenecks I'm
    >responsible for. Once that's done and the thing is still slow then I
    >can just have the support company for the application take a look.
    >
    >-Thanks for the replies

    Google and use TRACERT

    Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    cmd /k TRACERT digg.com
    <enter>

    Digg.com can be any site, but viewing the Miliseconds will show you
    the bottleneck.
    --

    Ever run wire?
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5169224/what-in-wired-hell-is-this

    , Mar 13, 2009
  10. nc

    John Holmes Guest

    nc "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I have a client

    I feel you're just a cheap bastard asking here for solutions which you can
    charge your client.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 13, 2009
  11. nc

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Internet surfing is fine.

    >>You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

    > Yes, they are both slang for navigating the internet.

    No, the *web* you surf or browse. Any other protocols aside from gopher
    don't *have* symbolic links, so you can't browse.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 13, 2009
  12. nc

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > wrote in

    >>>You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

    >> Yes, they are both slang for navigating the internet.
    >>

    >No, the *web* you surf or browse. Any other protocols aside from gopher
    >don't *have* symbolic links, so you can't browse.

    It's just slang and dosen't matter how it's used. As for gopher,
    archie, or the others they are going the way of the newsgrops.
    --

    Ever run wire?
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5169224/what-in-wired-hell-is-this

    , Mar 14, 2009
  13. wrote:
    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in

    >>> Yes, they are both slang for navigating the internet.
    >>>

    >> No, the *web* you surf or browse. Any other protocols aside from gopher
    >> don't *have* symbolic links, so you can't browse.

    > It's just slang and dosen't matter how it's used. As for gopher,
    > archie, or the others they are going the way of the newsgrops.

    Ya saw that on slashdot about gopher eh? I better check it out before it
    goes away.
    Btw, the best speed test thing is the CNET one.
    FYI

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 14, 2009
  14. nc

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chad wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 4:36 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >> nc wrote:
    >>> I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
    >>> down and 500 Kb/s up.

    >> Probably because most of the data is flowing up the slow leg of the
    >> ADSL. For the remote user the VPN will be as fast as the slowest part of
    >> the link and in this case its 500kb.
    >>
    >> Either use client/server applications or a terminal server. Its also
    >> worth looking into SDSL

    > It is a normal client/server application as far as I know. Terminal
    > services could be a good idea, but the server at the other end isn't
    > robust enough to deal with 10-15 connections and users slamming it
    > locally.

    I think you better name the application and the specs of the server.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 15, 2009