    Given that I use this pc mostly for common everyday tasks, no gaming and no
    huge number crunching. My suspicion is that there is possibly little or no
    advantage of the dual core over the single core.

    cripplecreek, Oct 23, 2008

  2. cripplecreek

    Robert Guest

    cripplecreek wrote:
    > In a situation between 2 similar cpus, one a single core, the other a
    > dual core,
    > which is the faster? I assume the same PC configuration and booting the
    > same
    > application.
    > Given that I use this pc mostly for common everyday tasks, no gaming and no
    > huge number crunching. My suspicion is that there is possibly little or no
    > advantage of the dual core over the single core.

    To take the greatest advantage of dual CPU cores an application should
    be multi threaded.

    You likely have noticed your PC becoming sluggish when running a full AV
    scan. In most cases dual cores will allow the AV app to run on one core
    while other applications run on the other core.

    Since the cost of a low end dual core CPU is about the same as a single
    core I can see no rationale to choose the latter if the motherboard
    supports said processor.

    Robert, Oct 23, 2008