    What should I do now? Should I now ask for a telecom technician to check
    things out? This costs 80bucks and i don't like paying telecom anymore than
    absolutely necessary.
    news.xtra.co.nz, May 2, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <_iy5g.6991$>, says...
    > I am on the 2mbps / 10gig xtra plan.
    >
    > All the time I have been on this , the jetsteamgames.co.nz/speed shows my
    > connection speed at approx 2000kbps.
    >
    > I phoned telecom to ask when I was being upgraded to the 3.5mbps and the csr
    > checked my line and confirmed that I was already on the 3.5mbps plan. I
    > think she did some kind of comms check on the network.
    >
    > She advised me to reset the pc/modem - which did not increase my speed.
    >
    > She said , the problem is probably with my router or adsl filter. This
    > seems a bit silly to me, that by coincidence, a problem with my router or
    > adsl filter happens to limit my connection speed to the exact same speed as
    > the old 2mb plan that I was on.
    >
    > What should I do now? Should I now ask for a telecom technician to check
    > things out? This costs 80bucks and i don't like paying telecom anymore than
    > absolutely necessary.

    Well... surely... remove the filter - and see how it runs then. If no
    diff, put the filter back in (can use the phone/voice line on it now as
    well) - and contact Telecom and tell 'em you've checked: your PC, modem,
    filter - what are *they* gonna do now? PS: did they do a line
    check/test for you?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, May 2, 2006

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    EMB Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > I am on the 2mbps / 10gig xtra plan.
    >
    > All the time I have been on this , the jetsteamgames.co.nz/speed shows my
    > connection speed at approx 2000kbps.
    >
    > I phoned telecom to ask when I was being upgraded to the 3.5mbps and the csr
    > checked my line and confirmed that I was already on the 3.5mbps plan. I
    > think she did some kind of comms check on the network.
    >
    > She advised me to reset the pc/modem - which did not increase my speed.
    >
    > She said , the problem is probably with my router or adsl filter. This
    > seems a bit silly to me, that by coincidence, a problem with my router or
    > adsl filter happens to limit my connection speed to the exact same speed as
    > the old 2mb plan that I was on.
    >
    > What should I do now? Should I now ask for a telecom technician to check
    > things out? This costs 80bucks and i don't like paying telecom anymore than
    > absolutely necessary.

    Exactly what "line speed" does your router say it is connecting at? If
    it says 2560 then you're still on 2Mbit. However if it says something
    greater than this but less than 4288 then it's your line that is the
    limiting factor.
    EMB, May 2, 2006
  4. "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_iy5g.6991$>, says...
    >> I am on the 2mbps / 10gig xtra plan.
    >>
    >> All the time I have been on this , the jetsteamgames.co.nz/speed shows my
    >> connection speed at approx 2000kbps.
    >>
    >> I phoned telecom to ask when I was being upgraded to the 3.5mbps and the
    >> csr
    >> checked my line and confirmed that I was already on the 3.5mbps plan. I
    >> think she did some kind of comms check on the network.
    >>
    >> She advised me to reset the pc/modem - which did not increase my speed.
    >>
    >> She said , the problem is probably with my router or adsl filter. This
    >> seems a bit silly to me, that by coincidence, a problem with my router or
    >> adsl filter happens to limit my connection speed to the exact same speed
    >> as
    >> the old 2mb plan that I was on.
    >>
    >> What should I do now? Should I now ask for a telecom technician to check
    >> things out? This costs 80bucks and i don't like paying telecom anymore
    >> than
    >> absolutely necessary.

    > Well... surely... remove the filter - and see how it runs then. If no
    > diff, put the filter back in (can use the phone/voice line on it now as
    > well) - and contact Telecom and tell 'em you've checked: your PC, modem,
    > filter - what are *they* gonna do now? PS: did they do a line
    > check/test for you?
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    yes, she said they did a test.
    news.xtra.co.nz, May 2, 2006
  5. "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> I am on the 2mbps / 10gig xtra plan.
    >>
    >> All the time I have been on this , the jetsteamgames.co.nz/speed shows my
    >> connection speed at approx 2000kbps.
    >>
    >> I phoned telecom to ask when I was being upgraded to the 3.5mbps and the
    >> csr checked my line and confirmed that I was already on the 3.5mbps plan.
    >> I think she did some kind of comms check on the network.
    >>
    >> She advised me to reset the pc/modem - which did not increase my speed.
    >>
    >> She said , the problem is probably with my router or adsl filter. This
    >> seems a bit silly to me, that by coincidence, a problem with my router or
    >> adsl filter happens to limit my connection speed to the exact same speed
    >> as the old 2mb plan that I was on.
    >>
    >> What should I do now? Should I now ask for a telecom technician to check
    >> things out? This costs 80bucks and i don't like paying telecom anymore
    >> than absolutely necessary.

    > Exactly what "line speed" does your router say it is connecting at? If it
    > says 2560 then you're still on 2Mbit. However if it says something
    > greater than this but less than 4288 then it's your line that is the
    > limiting factor.

    well, on the modem status webpage, it shows me....

    Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 12.8 24.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 40.3 25.0 dB
    Data Rate 3456 320 kbps

    So, downstream is 3456kbps, upstream is 320kbps according to this. But,
    isn't this the theoretical maximum , if the ISP didn't speed limit
    elsewhere?

    Do these figures help me at all?
    news.xtra.co.nz, May 2, 2006
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-02, news.xtra.co.nz <> wrote:
    > I am on the 2mbps / 10gig xtra plan.
    >
    > All the time I have been on this , the jetsteamgames.co.nz/speed shows my
    > connection speed at approx 2000kbps.
    >
    > I phoned telecom to ask when I was being upgraded to the 3.5mbps and the csr
    > checked my line and confirmed that I was already on the 3.5mbps plan. I
    > think she did some kind of comms check on the network.
    >
    > She advised me to reset the pc/modem - which did not increase my speed.
    >
    > She said , the problem is probably with my router or adsl filter. This
    > seems a bit silly to me, that by coincidence, a problem with my router or
    > adsl filter happens to limit my connection speed to the exact same speed as
    > the old 2mb plan that I was on.

    if it reduced it to less you waould have complained and had it replaced
    allready?

    > What should I do now? Should I now ask for a telecom technician to check
    > things out? This costs 80bucks and i don't like paying telecom anymore than
    > absolutely necessary.

    I know someone else who told me of a similar problem and saw a bandwidth
    increase by replacing their modem.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, May 7, 2006