Speed improving

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 27, 2006.

  1. I've a 3 year old Dell that I'm finding a bit slow.

    I'm only using it for world processing and internet, nothing special. But I
    find that its slow, even thought I've re-installed the OS. I don't have so
    many files or pictures on it.

    I can pick up a new PC for quite a low price, the question is.. is it worth
    it. I could just add memory to my machine. Would a new PC make much
    difference

    Dell are selling one with:
    P4 521 1.8G, 1Meg L2 cash, 512 MB Ram, 80G HD.

    My present PC is:
    Dimension 2400, 256MB, 80GB, P4 2.4G

    Doesn't appear to be so different but maybe chip, HD and memory have
    improved to give more power.

    Any help appreciated

    Thanks
    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 27, 2006

  2. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    James Guest

    "ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa" <> wrote in message
    > I've a 3 year old Dell that I'm finding a bit slow.
    >
    > I'm only using it for world processing and internet, nothing special. But
    > I find that its slow, even thought I've re-installed the OS. I don't have
    > so many files or pictures on it.
    >
    > I can pick up a new PC for quite a low price, the question is.. is it
    > worth it. I could just add memory to my machine. Would a new PC make much
    > difference
    >
    > Dell are selling one with:
    > P4 521 1.8G, 1Meg L2 cash, 512 MB Ram, 80G HD.
    >
    > My present PC is:
    > Dimension 2400, 256MB, 80GB, P4 2.4G
    >

    > Doesn't appear to be so different but maybe chip, HD and memory have
    > improved to give more power.
    >

    > Any help appreciated

    So you want to go from a 2.4Ghz pc to a 1.8Ghz pc, with the same size hard
    drive and only 256Mb extra memory?

    You'd probably be better off simply buying a extra stick or two of memory
    and installing that to either 512 or 1024Mb. Then running a few clean up
    and spyware programs to see if that speeds things up to be honest.
    James, May 27, 2006

  3. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    John Holmes Guest

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I'm only using it for world processing

    You'll need a far better system for that purpose.

    --
    Your mother was a reprehensible brute who wanted you to learn about life in
    prison.
    John Holmes, May 27, 2006
  4. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    SJP Guest

    > I've a 3 year old Dell that I'm finding a bit slow.
    >
    > I'm only using it for world processing and internet, nothing special. But
    > I find that its slow, even thought I've re-installed the OS. I don't have
    > so many files or pictures on it.
    >
    > I can pick up a new PC for quite a low price, the question is.. is it
    > worth it. I could just add memory to my machine. Would a new PC make much
    > difference
    >
    > Dell are selling one with:
    > P4 521 1.8G, 1Meg L2 cash, 512 MB Ram, 80G HD.
    >
    > My present PC is:
    > Dimension 2400, 256MB, 80GB, P4 2.4G

    Add more memory to your existing PC !
    See http://www.crucial.com/uk/ Perhaps another 512MB
    SJP, May 27, 2006
  5. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    philo Guest

    > I've a 3 year old Dell that I'm finding a bit slow.
    >
    > I'm only using it for world processing and internet, nothing special. But
    > I find that its slow, even thought I've re-installed the OS. I don't have
    > so many files or pictures on it.
    >
    > I can pick up a new PC for quite a low price, the question is.. is it
    > worth it. I could just add memory to my machine. Would a new PC make much
    > difference
    >
    > Dell are selling one with:
    > P4 521 1.8G, 1Meg L2 cash, 512 MB Ram, 80G HD.
    >
    > My present PC is:
    > Dimension 2400, 256MB, 80GB, P4 2.4G

    I'd just keep your present machine...
    to improve performance add more memory and turn off animations (in control
    panel set for best performance)
    you should be all set
    philo, May 27, 2006
  6. Thanks for the tips.

    Would adding memory make that much difference, what percentage increase in
    speed do you think?

    Is it enough just to go to 512MB or should I put in more.

    Where can I turn off animation in CP?

    Thanks

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 27, 2006
  7. One more thing

    What's the best software to search for spyware, I've got Microsoft Defender
    installed.

    Is there software worth using that's freeware?

    Thanks
    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 27, 2006
  8. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    philo Guest

    > One more thing
    >

    > What's the best software to search for spyware, I've got Microsoft
    > Defender installed.
    >
    > Is there software worth using that's freeware?

    Well I just use Lavasoft Adaware...
    it keeps my machine free of spyware

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    it's free!

    As far as RAM... assuming you are running XP...
    a total of 512 megs is a good idea.
    Although more would not hurt...unless you are running heavy apps such as
    Photoshop...
    would not really be needed.

    Now...to really help performance...you need to get rid of all the fancy "eye
    candy"

    go into control panel

    system

    performance

    settings

    then check off "adjust for best performance"

    your system should run much better after that
    philo, May 27, 2006
  9. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

    > One more thing
    >
    > What's the best software to search for spyware, I've got Microsoft
    > Defender installed.
    >
    > Is there software worth using that's freeware?

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#spyware

    You haven't been paying attention.
    Change this:
    From: "ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa" <>
    to this:
    From: "ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa" <>

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 27, 2006
  10. Here's a little tip for you today.

    Be rude, patronising & aggressive.
    And people are liable to tell you to **** off or ignore you.

    I'm doing the latter.

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 27, 2006
  11. Thanks... I'll try it

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 27, 2006
  12. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-27, ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa <> wrote:
    > Here's a little tip for you today.
    >
    > Be rude, patronising & aggressive.

    [snip]

    Duh? Hey, "top-poster" are you blind? (If not, then)

    ">>>>>>> You haven't been paying attention.

    Is that too hard to understand?
    (If you are blind then I apologize...this is, after all, 24HS.HD and many
    will accomadate you if you must top-post for the sake of your
    "circumstances")

    You still need to make the change, sighted, or not, moron.

    > I'm doing the latter.

    "latter" doesn't really count when you top-post
    (Unless you wish an accommodation).

    [snip]

    --
    "There's a little tip"
    Jimchip, May 27, 2006
  13. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

    > Here's a little tip for you today.

    Is that in response to my tips page?

    > Be rude, patronising & aggressive.
    > And people are liable to tell you to **** off or ignore you.

    No, I guess it wasn't.

    My post was succinct, but I do not think it fits in the categories you
    mention. I suppose we wonder why you continue to use the domain name
    that belongs to someone else, after being asked several times to change
    it. Adding the Japan country code of ".jp" doesn't absolve you of this.

    > I'm doing the latter.

    Ok, should I do the same?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 27, 2006
  14. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 27 May 2006 15:27:02 +0100, "ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa"
    <> wrote:

    >Here's a little tip for you today.
    >
    >Be rude, patronising & aggressive.
    >And people are liable to tell you to **** off or ignore you.
    >

    >I'm doing the latter.

    People HAVE asked you nicely, dipshit.

    I believe a group plonk is in order.
    Evan Platt, May 27, 2006
  15. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    old man Guest

    Also SpyBot, free
    You should'nt rely on a single spyware app, but run several from time to
    time, one finds what the other doesnt

    Re speed: niether cpu or memory will make much difference to browsing, once
    IE open.
    512mb is a reccomended memory for win2k/winxp for general usage.
    Dell are generally not the fastest pc's on the block

    old man, May 27, 2006
  16. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Scraggy Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > I believe a group plonk is in order.

    In the unforeseeable circumstance that I should require your advice on when
    to use my killfile, I'll be sure to let you know in good time.

    JHC

    members. Groucho Marx
    Scraggy, May 27, 2006
  17. Thanks for the info.

    Would it make much difference getting a PC with the latest P4, compared to a
    3yr old P4.

    What other Spyware software would you use?

    Thanks

    ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa, May 27, 2006
  18. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

    > Here's a little tip for you today.
    >
    > Be rude, patronising & aggressive.
    > And people are liable to tell you to **** off or ignore you.
    >

    > I'm doing the latter.

    You have been given good advice:
    Your posting news server pipex.net is registered to UK, while com.jp is
    a already reserved domain in jp.
    You should not abuse foreign domain names.
    Now go away.
    Walter Mautner, May 27, 2006
  19. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    philo Guest

    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Would it make much difference getting a PC with the latest P4, compared to
    > a 3yr old P4.
    >
    > What other Spyware software would you use?

    <snip>

    It would make no sense in getting a new computer...
    for general use such as web surfing etc...even a P-III is plenty good!
    philo, May 27, 2006
  20. ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-27, ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Would it make much difference getting a PC with the latest P4, compared to a
    > 3yr old P4.
    >
    > What other Spyware software would you use?

    You could start with a new email address.

    > Thanks

    YW. I took XNA off just for you.

    --
    "moron"