Special Rights needed for ODBC access in WIN 7-64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Phil Smith, Mar 16, 2010.

  1. Phil Smith

    Phil Smith Guest

    I have an access 2007 database, frontending a MYSQL database. Works
    fine on all of our XP boxes.

    For WIn7:
    When I go into ODBC administration, I can set up the ODBC connection, as
    a System data source, and it tests fine.

    When I actually try to use the database, I get Connection failed, even
    just trying to open the ODBC linked tables.

    If I try to create a new link, it is really weird. I get a dialog box
    with two tabs: File Data Source and Machine Data Source. SYSTEM data
    source, which is the way my source is configured is not even an option.
    When I hit NEW connection I get a warning:

    You are logged on with nonadministrative priviledges. System DSNs could
    be created or modified.

    although as far as I know, I do have administrative priveledges: We are
    on a domain, I am a domain User, and domain users are in the
    adminstrative group.) and while it allows me to set up that source as a
    FILE source after that, when the process is complete, it gives me the error:
    The file Data Source was not saved.

    I want to use my SYSTEM data source. It CLAIMS that a SYSTEM DSN is
    visible to all users. What part of "visible" doesn't WIN7 understand,
    and how can I induce a attitude adjustment?

    Thanx

    Phil
    Phil Smith, Mar 16, 2010

  2. Phil Smith

    Steve Foster Guest

    Phil Smith wrote:

    >I have an access 2007 database, frontending a MYSQL database. Works fine
    >on all of our XP boxes.
    >
    >For WIn7:
    >When I go into ODBC administration, I can set up the ODBC connection, as a
    >System data source, and it tests fine.
    >
    >When I actually try to use the database, I get Connection failed, even
    >just trying to open the ODBC linked tables.
    >
    >If I try to create a new link, it is really weird. I get a dialog box
    >with two tabs: File Data Source and Machine Data Source. SYSTEM data
    >source, which is the way my source is configured is not even an option.
    >When I hit NEW connection I get a warning:
    >
    >You are logged on with nonadministrative priviledges. System DSNs could
    >be created or modified.
    >
    >although as far as I know, I do have administrative priveledges: We are
    >on a domain, I am a domain User, and domain users are in the adminstrative
    >group.) and while it allows me to set up that source as a FILE source
    >after that, when the process is complete, it gives me the error:
    >The file Data Source was not saved.
    >
    >I want to use my SYSTEM data source. It CLAIMS that a SYSTEM DSN is
    >visible to all users. What part of "visible" doesn't WIN7 understand, and
    >how can I induce a attitude adjustment?

    Access is a 32-bit application, so needs a 32-bit ODBC DSN. You must run
    odbcad32.exe from the SysWOW64 folder to get to the 32-bit ODBC
    Administrator. The one in Administrative Tools is the 64-bit version, and
    only manipulates 64-bit ODBC DSNs.

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------
    Steve Foster, Mar 17, 2010

  3. Phil Smith

    TallTed Guest

    "Machine" Data Sources include both System and User DSNs.
    "File" Data Sources are neither System nor User.

    Important to note in 64-bit environments --

    Both 32-bit and 64-bit Administrators present *both* 32-bit and 64-bit *User* DSNs at all times -- even though 32-bit applications cannot work with 64-bit drivers/DSNs, and 64-bit applications cannot work with 32-bit drivers/DSNs.

    *System* DSNs are properly segregated -- only 64-bit DSNs are presented in 64-bit contexts, and only 32-bit DSNs are presented in 32-bit contexts.

    Microsoft recommends naming DSNs with _32/_64 to keep them clear. I don't argue against this ... but I also recommend sticking with System DSNs unless you have very good reason not to.

    Be seeing you,
    Ted

    ---
    frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.publi...ial-Rights-needed-for-ODBC-access-in-WIN-7-64
    TallTed, Mar 17, 2010
  4. Phil Smith

    Phil Smith Guest

    That was the solution to the problem, ALTHOUGH, even with the 32 but
    version, it still bitches about administrative rights when I try to set
    up my DSN. They work anyway, so it is a bogus error message.

    Thanx

    Phil Smith, Mar 18, 2010