    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Modemac Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:39:44 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:
    >Also, what's the lamest idea of a "special edition" (or "collector's
    >edition" or whatever) that you've seen? It's pretty silly in the first
    >place to label a release the special edition when it's the only release
    >of that movie in the region..

    Possibly the so-called "special edition" of STARSHIP TROOPERS. I
    bought the DVD on sale at Wal-Mart for nine bucks, and shortly
    afterwards I learned (from this newsgroup - thank you, folks) that the
    newer "special edition" of the DVD contains EXACTLY THE SAME features
    as the one I bought: director's commentary, deleted scenes, trailers,
    and mini-documentary. So in essence, I purchased the "special
    edition" for all of nine dollars.

    --
    First Online Church of "Bob"
    http://www.modemac.com/
    Modemac, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Grand Inquisitor

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    > Possibly the so-called "special edition" of STARSHIP TROOPERS. I
    > bought the DVD on sale at Wal-Mart for nine bucks, and shortly
    > afterwards I learned (from this newsgroup - thank you, folks) that the
    > newer "special edition" of the DVD contains EXACTLY THE SAME features
    > as the one I bought: director's commentary, deleted scenes, trailers,
    > and mini-documentary. So in essence, I purchased the "special
    > edition" for all of nine dollars.

    The Starship Troopers SE disc contains a number of new features not
    found on the original release including a new cast commentary, composer
    commentary, "Death from Above" documentary and several production
    featurettes.

    The original disc did have a bunch of good features on its own, all of
    which are retained on the SE, but the SE has more and is a newer video
    transfer.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <4%cub.18244$>, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    > I just noticed on www.dvdpricesearch.com that the "special edition"
    > (commentary and whatnot) of The Princess Bride is *cheaper* than the
    > earlier bare-bones edition. Anybody know of any other such cases (don't
    > count Superbit titles as "bare bones")?

    That normally means the first edition was released back when dvds were
    priced higher then is the norm now, and the remaining disks are still
    counted at that higher price in the stores inventory. It reminds me of
    the classic case of the first AnimEigo anime release on VHS, Madox-01.
    The 40 minute show was released with a price of $40, and remained at
    that price until the entire inventory was gone and it was re-printed at
    a cheaper price. Thus, by the end you had that show being listed at
    around 4 times the cost-per-minute of other anime :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Grand Inquisitor

    Cernovog Guest

    In article <4%cub.18244$>,
    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > the "special edition" of The Princess Bride is *cheaper* than the
    > earlier bare-bones edition. Anybody know of any other such cases?

    Many, many stores are still selling the bare bones version of Wrath
    of Khan (and probably other trek movies) for more than the special
    editions they're releasing now.
    Cernovog, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Grand Inquisitor

    John Guest

    The 'Ultimate Edition' of Patch Adams. Boy was that crying out for a
    release...
    John, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Grand Inquisitor

    Mike Davis Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > I just noticed on www.dvdpricesearch.com that the "special edition"
    > (commentary and whatnot) of The Princess Bride is *cheaper* than the
    > earlier bare-bones edition. Anybody know of any other such cases (don't
    > count Superbit titles as "bare bones")?
    >
    > Also, what's the lamest idea of a "special edition" (or "collector's
    > edition" or whatever) that you've seen? It's pretty silly in the first
    > place to label a release the special edition when it's the only release
    > of that movie in the region..
    > --
    > "Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
    > Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
    > and tagging wildebeests."
    > --Michael J. Nelson
    >
    > Grand Inquisitor
    > http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

    GI,
    Since I abhor J-Lo, her inability to act can be sometimes almost
    comically entertaining. No better examples of this exists than in two great
    SE's that should have never existed- "Anaconda: Superbit Edition" (no, I'm
    not making this up <ggg.>) and "Enough- Special Edition WS" which contains
    TWO commentaries! Fortune shines on me that at least J-Lo doesn't
    participate in the commentary discussion.. Imagine if she did, a person
    could be forced to endure watching "Enough" three times. I'm sure the Geneva
    Convention would consider that some form of torture.
    All the best, Mike
    Mike Davis, Nov 18, 2003
  8. Grand Inquisitor

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:<4%cub.18244$>...
    > I just noticed on www.dvdpricesearch.com that the "special edition"
    > (commentary and whatnot) of The Princess Bride is *cheaper* than the
    > earlier bare-bones edition. Anybody know of any other such cases (don't
    > count Superbit titles as "bare bones")?
    >
    > Also, what's the lamest idea of a "special edition" (or "collector's
    > edition" or whatever) that you've seen? It's pretty silly in the first
    > place to label a release the special edition when it's the only release
    > of that movie in the region..

    The lamest idea of a "special edition" has to be the edition that has
    no other releases to compare it to. Thus, negating any special-ness
    on it's part. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but since I
    seem to spend every freakin' Tuesday lunch hour at Best Buy, I know
    I've SEEN a few in my day.

    The _silliest_ is probably "The Chosen Edition" of Kung Pow: Enter the
    Fist. But then, that's INTENTIONALLY silly. :)

    Dennis
    Dennis Kuhn, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Modemac <> writes:
    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:39:44 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    > <> wrote:
    > >Also, what's the lamest idea of a "special edition" (or "collector's
    > >edition" or whatever) that you've seen? It's pretty silly in the first
    > >place to label a release the special edition when it's the only release
    > >of that movie in the region..

    > Possibly the so-called "special edition" of STARSHIP TROOPERS. I
    > bought the DVD on sale at Wal-Mart for nine bucks, and shortly
    > afterwards I learned (from this newsgroup - thank you, folks) that the
    > newer "special edition" of the DVD contains EXACTLY THE SAME features
    > as the one I bought: director's commentary, deleted scenes, trailers,
    > and mini-documentary. So in essence, I purchased the "special
    > edition" for all of nine dollars.

    The latest release has a separate music track and commentary
    by the composer, Basil Poledouris. That alone was enough for me
    to buy the disc. The official soundtrack album (by Varese Sarabande)
    was unsatisfactory and missed maybe 15-20 minutes worth of good music.

    It also has many other features not present in the original
    release (2nd commentary by Verhoeven and some of the
    cast, for instance).

    --
    Paikka on varattu
    vali deille
    Pentti Lajunen, Nov 18, 2003
  10. Grand Inquisitor

    Wade365 Guest

    << The lamest idea of a "special edition" has to be the edition that has
    no other releases to compare it to. Thus, negating any special-ness
    on it's part. >>

    When "From Hell" came out originally, it was available in the 2-disc SE, and
    then a month or two later they came out with the single disc edition...
    sometimes when a title is released and called an SE, it's because there is plan
    for a different release down the line... or as in Criterion's case, where they
    will issue a movie and let it go out of print (DC of "RoboCop" comes to mind).

    Just a thought.
    Wade365, Nov 18, 2003
  11. On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:39:44 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >Also, what's the lamest idea of a "special edition" (or "collector's
    >edition" or whatever) that you've seen? It's pretty silly in the first
    >place to label a release the special edition when it's the only release
    >of that movie in the region..

    I think the great film 'Life is Beautiful' was a Special Edition of
    Collectors Edition, and while the film was great there was nothing
    special about the extra features.

    Also, some of Hulk's special features were commercials for stuff.
    Nothing special about that.
    Hitman of Las Vegas, Nov 18, 2003
  12. Grand Inquisitor

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    (Wade365) wrote in message news:<>...
    > << The lamest idea of a "special edition" has to be the edition that has
    > no other releases to compare it to. Thus, negating any special-ness
    > on it's part. >>
    >
    > When "From Hell" came out originally, it was available in the 2-disc SE, and
    > then a month or two later they came out with the single disc edition...
    > sometimes when a title is released and called an SE, it's because there is plan
    > for a different release down the line... or as in Criterion's case, where they
    > will issue a movie and let it go out of print (DC of "RoboCop" comes to mind).
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Interesting theory. Also, one which can never really be proven wrong,
    at least until the DVD format is pronounced dead. Somehow I doubt
    there'll be a stripped-down verysion of Amazon Women on the Moon on
    DVD any time in the future. The "Collector's Edition" that's out
    right now is probably the end of the line, at least as far as DVD
    goes.

    Dennis
    Dennis Kuhn, Nov 19, 2003
  13. >Also, what's the lamest idea of a "special edition" (or "collector's
    >edition" or whatever) that you've seen? It's pretty silly in the first
    >place to label a release the special edition when it's the only release
    >of that movie in the region..

    Blue Streak- some music videos, two fluff bullshit featurettes, and probably
    some deleted scenes/outtakes. No commentary, nothing interesting.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
    revolving door.
    - Willy Walker
    Sydney Assbasket, Nov 20, 2003
  14. Grand Inquisitor

    Erik Harris Guest

    wrote:

    >Also, what's the lamest idea of a "special edition" (or "collector's
    >edition" or whatever) that you've seen? It's pretty silly in the first
    >place to label a release the special edition when it's the only release
    >of that movie in the region..

    The Kids Are Alright - it finally got a proper R1 DVD release, but it came in
    two versions - The Special Edition and The Deluxe Edition.

    One is the basic single-disc version, and the other is a two-disc version,
    but with that naming scheme, you'd better do your homework to make sure you
    get the one you actually want, since they both sound like they should have
    the extra stuff.

    --
    Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
    AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

    The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
    Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.
    Erik Harris, Nov 21, 2003