    "We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on a member
    of Congress' seniority, rather than the merit of the project,"

    Presidential candidate, Obama - 4/18/08
    walter, Mar 6, 2009

  2. walter

    VanguardLH Guest

    walter wrote:

    > "We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on a member
    > of Congress' seniority, rather than the merit of the project,"
    >
    > Presidential candidate, Obama - 4/18/08

    You saw "politics" or "economy" somewhere in the title of THIS
    newsgroup?
    VanguardLH, Mar 6, 2009

  3. walter

    walter Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >
    >> "We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on
    >> a member of Congress' seniority, rather than the merit of the
    >> project,"
    >>
    >> Presidential candidate, Obama - 4/18/08

    > You saw "politics" or "economy" somewhere in the title of THIS
    > newsgroup?

    As has LONG been proclaimed, NOTHING is "off-topic" here in 24.
    walter, Mar 6, 2009
  4. walter

    Keyser Söze Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in message

    > walter wrote:
    >
    >> "We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on
    >> a member of Congress' seniority, rather than the merit of the
    >> project,"
    >>
    >> Presidential candidate, Obama - 4/18/08

    > You saw "politics" or "economy" somewhere in the title of THIS
    > newsgroup?

    Take that .35 and let some air into that empty head of yours FFS!

    --
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to
    an understanding of ourselves. Jung

    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Mar 6, 2009
  5. walter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-06, richard <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:32:55 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>walter wrote:
    >>
    >>> "We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on a member
    >>> of Congress' seniority, rather than the merit of the project,"
    >>>
    >>> Presidential candidate, Obama - 4/18/08

    >>You saw "politics" or "economy" somewhere in the title of THIS
    >>newsgroup?

    > Contrare mon amoi. Do you know the exact purpose of this group?
    > This group is perhaps is unique in the fact that literally nothing is
    > off topic as no one knows the origination of the group.
    >
    > As I researched this some 10 years ago, there is no FAQ and there is
    > no charter. Where in the text name do you see computers or related
    > items?

    I'm just unable to determine in this instance what, if any, help or
    support might be called for.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2009
  6. walter

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in message

    > On 2009-03-06, richard <> wrote:

    >>> You saw "politics" or "economy" somewhere in the title of THIS
    >>> newsgroup?

    >> Contrare mon amoi. Do you know the exact purpose of this group?
    >> This group is perhaps is unique in the fact that literally nothing is
    >> off topic as no one knows the origination of the group.
    >>
    >> As I researched this some 10 years ago, there is no FAQ and there is
    >> no charter. Where in the text name do you see computers or related
    >> items?

    > I'm just unable to determine in this instance what, if any, help or
    > support might be called for.

    You assume quite naturally that this newsgroup is to 'provide' help and
    support by individuals, and I wouldn't disagree with that. But...

    .... What one must consider, is while help and support can manifest itself in
    many different forms and for different purposes for individuals, the 'help'
    and 'support' can, in the absence of any criteria for the group, be the help
    and support an individual seeks for themselves in an effort to come to terms
    with their own 'struggles', whatever they may be.

    So, one could argue that 24hoursupport.helpdesk could be the Samaritan of
    Usenet and a response to a post unnecessary in certain instances :)

    Keyser Söze, Mar 6, 2009
  7. walter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-06, Keyser Söze <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote in message

    >>> Contrare mon amoi. Do you know the exact purpose of this group?
    >>> This group is perhaps is unique in the fact that literally nothing is
    >>> off topic as no one knows the origination of the group.
    >>>
    >>> As I researched this some 10 years ago, there is no FAQ and there is
    >>> no charter. Where in the text name do you see computers or related
    >>> items?

    >> I'm just unable to determine in this instance what, if any, help or
    >> support might be called for.

    > You assume quite naturally that this newsgroup is to 'provide' help and
    > support by individuals, and I wouldn't disagree with that. But...
    >
    > ... What one must consider, is while help and support can manifest itself in
    > many different forms and for different purposes for individuals, the 'help'
    > and 'support' can, in the absence of any criteria for the group, be the help
    > and support an individual seeks for themselves in an effort to come to terms
    > with their own 'struggles', whatever they may be.
    >
    > So, one could argue that 24hoursupport.helpdesk could be the Samaritan of
    > Usenet and a response to a post unnecessary in certain instances :)

    Well it would help my understanding if someone could (a) translate that
    original quote into a form of English devoid of what I take to be US
    political jargon so that a Brit can make some sense out of it and (b)
    reassure me that the original post wasn't some sort of inarticulate cry
    for help with something.

    I agree that some posts here are rhetorical. And some really are just
    nonsense. That's the magic of this group :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2009
  8. walter

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in message

    > On 2009-03-06, Keyser Söze
    > <> wrote:
    >> Whiskers <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm just unable to determine in this instance what, if any, help or
    >>> support might be called for.

    >> You assume quite naturally that this newsgroup is to 'provide' help
    >> and support by individuals, and I wouldn't disagree with that. But...
    >>
    >> ... What one must consider, is while help and support can manifest
    >> itself in many different forms and for different purposes for
    >> individuals, the 'help' and 'support' can, in the absence of any
    >> criteria for the group, be the help and support an individual seeks
    >> for themselves in an effort to come to terms with their own
    >> 'struggles', whatever they may be.
    >>
    >> So, one could argue that 24hoursupport.helpdesk could be the
    >> Samaritan of Usenet and a response to a post unnecessary in certain
    >> instances :)

    > Well it would help my understanding if someone could (a) translate
    > that
    > original quote into a form of English devoid of what I take to be US
    > political jargon so that a Brit can make some sense out of it and (b)
    > reassure me that the original post wasn't some sort of inarticulate
    > cry
    > for help with something.
    >
    > I agree that some posts here are rhetorical. And some really are just
    > nonsense. That's the magic of this group :))

    Again, you misplace your judgement and dish out credit where it's not due.

    One cannot and should not make compensation for those (especially the
    ameriKKKans) who ignorantly bastardise the English language (r, excluded).

    Let's start with:

    then - than

    Your turn... [ ]

    Let's face it, they don't know what the **** they're babbling on about or
    why, and we (tinw) couldn't give a flying **** about it ;-) They're just
    comedic fodder to us Brits.

    Keyser Söze, Mar 6, 2009
  9. walter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-06, Keyser Söze <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-03-06, Keyser Söze
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Whiskers <> wrote in message

    >>> You assume quite naturally that this newsgroup is to 'provide' help
    >>> and support by individuals, and I wouldn't disagree with that. But...
    >>>
    >>> ... What one must consider, is while help and support can manifest
    >>> itself in many different forms and for different purposes for
    >>> individuals, the 'help' and 'support' can, in the absence of any
    >>> criteria for the group, be the help and support an individual seeks
    >>> for themselves in an effort to come to terms with their own
    >>> 'struggles', whatever they may be.
    >>>
    >>> So, one could argue that 24hoursupport.helpdesk could be the
    >>> Samaritan of Usenet and a response to a post unnecessary in certain
    >>> instances :)

    >> Well it would help my understanding if someone could (a) translate
    >> that
    >> original quote into a form of English devoid of what I take to be US
    >> political jargon so that a Brit can make some sense out of it and (b)
    >> reassure me that the original post wasn't some sort of inarticulate
    >> cry
    >> for help with something.
    >>
    >> I agree that some posts here are rhetorical. And some really are just
    >> nonsense. That's the magic of this group :))

    > Again, you misplace your judgement and dish out credit where it's not due.
    >
    > One cannot and should not make compensation for those (especially the
    > ameriKKKans) who ignorantly bastardise the English language (r, excluded).
    >
    > Let's start with:
    >
    > then - than
    >
    > Your turn... [ ]
    >
    > Let's face it, they don't know what the **** they're babbling on about or
    > why, and we (tinw) couldn't give a flying **** about it ;-) They're just
    > comedic fodder to us Brits.

    I was particularly surpised at the attribution of the quote in question to
    Barak Obama, as all the speaches of his that I've heard were very well
    constructed and cogent and clear in intention. I just bought his book
    'Dreams of my father' and read his introduction to the 2004 edition last
    night, and thought that at least to be well written and coherent.

    But of course, a skilled orator can adjust his style to suit the intended
    audience. So if he was talking to politicians who can only think in
    jargon and buzz-words, doubtless his effort was as effective as his more
    broadly targeted utterances.

    (I think what he meant was something like 'old buffers can't guarantee
    their sponsors favourable legislation any more').

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2009
  10. walter

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing richard <> bada bang:
    > On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:32:55 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>walter wrote:
    >>
    >>> "We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on a member
    >>> of Congress' seniority, rather than the merit of the project,"
    >>>
    >>> Presidential candidate, Obama - 4/18/08

    >>You saw "politics" or "economy" somewhere in the title of THIS
    >>newsgroup?

    > Contrare mon amoi. Do you know the exact purpose of this group?
    > This group is perhaps is unique in the fact that literally nothing is
    > off topic as no one knows the origination of the group.
    >
    > As I researched this some 10 years ago, there is no FAQ and there is
    > no charter. Where in the text name do you see computers or related
    > items?

    Implied in the name of the froup is its purpose. Help and
    support at any time with any question. Is the OP looking or help
    starting a flame war? Support for a stupid opinion? Then I
    submit that it could be on topic.

    Mike "but worthless, nevertheless" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham
    Mike Yetto, Mar 6, 2009
  11. walter

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in message

    > On 2009-03-06, Keyser Söze
    > <> wrote:
    >> Whiskers <> wrote in message

    >>> Well it would help my understanding if someone could (a) translate
    >>> that
    >>> original quote into a form of English devoid of what I take to be US
    >>> political jargon so that a Brit can make some sense out of it and
    >>> (b) reassure me that the original post wasn't some sort of
    >>> inarticulate cry
    >>> for help with something.
    >>>
    >>> I agree that some posts here are rhetorical. And some really are
    >>> just nonsense. That's the magic of this group :))

    >> Again, you misplace your judgement and dish out credit where it's
    >> not due.
    >>
    >> One cannot and should not make compensation for those (especially the
    >> ameriKKKans) who ignorantly bastardise the English language (r,
    >> excluded).
    >>
    >> Let's start with:
    >>
    >> then - than
    >>
    >> Your turn... [ ]
    >>
    >> Let's face it, they don't know what the **** they're babbling on
    >> about or why, and we (tinw) couldn't give a flying **** about it ;-)
    >> They're just comedic fodder to us Brits.

    > I was particularly surpised at the attribution of the quote in
    > question to
    > Barak Obama, as all the speaches of his that I've heard were very well
    > constructed and cogent and clear in intention.

    For what it's worth you need to read it in its fullest context to 'get
    there'.

    March 10, 2008, Obanana said in a statement: "We can no longer accept a
    process that doles out earmarks based on a member of Congress' seniority,
    rather than the merit of the project. We can no longer accept an earmarks
    process that has become so complicated to navigate that a municipality or
    non-profit group has to hire high-priced D.C. lobbyists to do it. And we can
    no longer accept an earmarks process in which many of the projects being
    funded fail to address the real needs of our country."

    With exception of the occasional ameriKKKan nuance it reads OK.

    He can say whatever he wants and it will be in keeping with most - but watch
    out, the key to saying whatever you want and getting away with it is using
    words like 'reform' and the yanks taking that to mean 'eliminate'.

    There, they don't understand their own fucked up lingo, let alone Engrisch!
    ;-)

    > I just bought his book
    > 'Dreams of my father' and read his introduction to the 2004 edition
    > last night, and thought that at least to be well written and coherent.

    OK.

    > But of course, a skilled orator can adjust his style to suit the
    > intended audience. So if he was talking to politicians who can only
    > think in
    > jargon and buzz-words, doubtless his effort was as effective as his
    > more
    > broadly targeted utterances.
    >
    > (I think what he meant was something like 'old buffers can't guarantee
    > their sponsors favourable legislation any more').

    Spot on, but not all - project by project eval' until someone puts their
    head above the parapet and cries 'misappropriated spending'!!

    Keyser Söze, Mar 6, 2009
  12. walter

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing Keyser Söze <> bada bang:
    <snip>
    > One cannot and should not make compensation for those (especially the
    > ameriKKKans) who ignorantly bastardise the English language (r, excluded).
    >
    > Let's start with:
    >
    > then - than
    >
    > Your turn... [ ]
    >
    > Let's face it, they don't know what the **** they're babbling on about or
    > why, and we (tinw) couldn't give a flying **** about it ;-) They're just
    > comedic fodder to us Brits.

    National Public Radio (and Television) has been treating Brits
    that way for decades. That is, of course, with the help of Monty
    Python to show us where to concentrate our efforts at
    translation.

    Mike "I'm sure I left these out somewhere /uuuuuuu/" Yetto
    Mike Yetto, Mar 6, 2009
  13. walter

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in message

    > Bada bing Keyser Söze
    > <> bada bang: <snip>
    >> One cannot and should not make compensation for those (especially the
    >> ameriKKKans) who ignorantly bastardise the English language (r,
    >> excluded).
    >>
    >> Let's start with:
    >>
    >> then - than
    >>
    >> Your turn... [ ]
    >>
    >> Let's face it, they don't know what the **** they're babbling on
    >> about or why, and we (tinw) couldn't give a flying **** about it ;-)
    >> They're just comedic fodder to us Brits.
    >>

    > National Public Radio (and Television) has been treating Brits
    > that way for decades. That is, of course, with the help of Monty
    > Python to show us where to concentrate our efforts at
    > translation.

    Of course you'll be aware that is The Bible among bibles.

    Keyser Söze, Mar 6, 2009
  14. walter

    catchme Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2009-03-06, richard <> wrote:

    >>> You saw "politics" or "economy" somewhere in the title of THIS
    >>> newsgroup?

    >> Contrare mon amoi. Do you know the exact purpose of this group?
    >> This group is perhaps is unique in the fact that literally nothing is
    >> off topic as no one knows the origination of the group.
    >>
    >> As I researched this some 10 years ago, there is no FAQ and there is
    >> no charter. Where in the text name do you see computers or related
    >> items?

    > I'm just unable to determine in this instance what, if any, help or
    > support might be called for.

    who doesn't want to support their nations' economy, and/ or their chosen
    political party?

    devil's advocate...

    --
    To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
    Resist much, obey little,

    -Walt Whitman, 1860
    catchme, Mar 6, 2009
  15. walter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-06, catchme <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> Contrare mon amoi. Do you know the exact purpose of this group?
    >>> This group is perhaps is unique in the fact that literally nothing is
    >>> off topic as no one knows the origination of the group.
    >>>
    >>> As I researched this some 10 years ago, there is no FAQ and there is
    >>> no charter. Where in the text name do you see computers or related
    >>> items?

    >> I'm just unable to determine in this instance what, if any, help or
    >> support might be called for.
    >>

    > who doesn't want to support their nations' economy, and/ or their chosen
    > political party?
    >
    > devil's advocate...

    Wrong nation for me then ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2009
  16. catchme <> promulgated this using

    > who doesn't want to support their nations' economy,
    > and/ or their chosen political party?
    >
    > devil's advocate...

    MAYONNAISE! *whoosh*...

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I'm a "Moderate Republican"...
    which means that I *COULD* shoot farm-raised wild-game from

    Get yerself some Canadian wimmins in yer pickup truck without
    even using up any of your federally regulated tranquilizer darts :

    http://www.royalcf.com/images/mayonnaise230ml.jpg

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 6, 2009
  17. §ñühw¤£f was tricked into taking his psycho-meds from
    a penis-shaped Pez-dispenser, and then wrote this with

    > Does your racism come naturally or did you have to read it in a book?
    >
    > Btw, I'd better tell you this since its apparent from your poasts that
    > you're mentally challenged: dont use the hair-dryer in the tub.
    >
    > FYI
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > http://eyeonpalin.org/

    My "racism" comes from 1) watching too much of the NASCAR races;
    and, 2) being the Undisputed Champion of the Universe in my GTA clubhouse!

    I'm an anti-racistism-advocate. I just don't like peeples who look like
    big overgrown buttholes all over the place using up the hard-working white
    man's tax dollars for crack and ho's and bling-bling and big ole hubcaps
    that spin backwards while they're sitting still at the redlights punching
    their ho's in the face and shit... If you're a different race, that's
    diversity; but, if you look like the color of a butthole all over, then
    that's just something else for Al Sharpton to be mad at white people about.

    So why, you writing a book? Nobody even wants your book on your st00pid
    Marxist food stamp ideas! Your book would probably have doody-pile popups.

    I use the hair-dryer in the tub to make my daily health-food toaster
    str00dells...

    http://www.pillsbury.com/products/breakfast/frozen/Toaster-Strudel-
    Pastries.htm

    Unlike *YOU*, who eats your own geritric doody-diapers.

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 7, 2009