    Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
    with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
    if so, how would I go about it?

    Donchano, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Donchano

    XPD Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
    > with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
    > if so, how would I go about it?

    Advisable ? Depends who you talk to :)

    It should be easy enough to do long as there are XP drivers available for
    the laptop.... check the Toshiba site.

    To do it, one copy of XP, one key (preferably legit), boot off XP CD, format
    drives, install :) (Assuming theres not already data on the drive they want
    to keep, then back up first).

    XPD, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Donchano

    Cadae Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
    > with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
    > if so, how would I go about it?

    Vista is usually fine - I have had only minor problems with my Vista. Its
    added security could be a net benefit to your friend. Using the manufacturer
    supplied O/S can make support a bit easier if you have problems with the
    laptop.

    I think the main consideration is compatibility of Vista with your friend's
    primary applications. Not all XP apps are supported under Vista (but a lot
    are being very quickly updated) - so check them carefully.

    PC

    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Donchano

    Peter Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
    > with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
    > if so, how would I go about it?

    Generally, this wouldn't be advisable, unless there is some really good
    reason pushing you to change. You don't mention any such reason, so it
    might be best to stay with Vista.

    Another answer; if you need to ask this question, you are probably better
    staying with whatever came on the laptop.

    If you are having problems with the laptop, post those problems here, or
    (better still) get them fixed under warranty.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Donchano

    thingy Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
    > with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
    > if so, how would I go about it?

    If everything is working, I'd wonder why....the safest way is to buy
    another harddrive and install XP on that and keep the old Vista one
    boxed safely, that way if the hardware ever craps out you can replace it
    as is and get it fixed...

    The other possibility is something like partition magic, squash Vista's
    partition and install XP in the freed up space....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Donchano

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > The other possibility is something like partition magic, squash Vista's
    > partition and install XP in the freed up space....

    Vista includes its own tool for resizing partitions, and it uses a different
    form of NTFS. So, be careful resizing a Vista partition with anything
    else. If Vista doesn't like it, it won't boot.

    Easiest and safest approach might be to use the Vista resizing tool.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Donchano

    Geoff Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Donchano wrote:
    >> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
    >> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
    >> if so, how would I go about it?

    > Generally, this wouldn't be advisable, unless there is some really
    > good reason pushing you to change. You don't mention any such
    > reason, so it might be best to stay with Vista.
    >
    > Another answer; if you need to ask this question, you are probably
    > better staying with whatever came on the laptop.
    >
    > If you are having problems with the laptop, post those problems here,
    > or (better still) get them fixed under warranty.

    Every new PC I've seen with Vista has been a slug.

    I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
    top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such as those
    I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.

    geoff

    Geoff, Sep 1, 2007
  8. On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:53:23 +1200, Geoff wrote:

    > I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
    > top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such as
    > those I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.

    Interesting that one needs to "downgrade" from the most recent iteration
    of M$ Windows in order to get better performance.

    Improvements should result in better performance, not poorer performance.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 1, 2007
  9. Geoff wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
    >>> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
    >>> if so, how would I go about it?

    >> Generally, this wouldn't be advisable, unless there is some really
    >> good reason pushing you to change. You don't mention any such
    >> reason, so it might be best to stay with Vista.
    >>
    >> Another answer; if you need to ask this question, you are probably
    >> better staying with whatever came on the laptop.
    >>
    >> If you are having problems with the laptop, post those problems here,
    >> or (better still) get them fixed under warranty.

    > Every new PC I've seen with Vista has been a slug.
    >
    > I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
    > top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such as those
    > I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.
    >
    > geoff

    Just "downgraded" last night and am happier already.

    A couple of "gotchas"... back up under vista doesn't seem to be read by
    xp, copying your profile folder doesn't work either (I can't find it on
    the external HD to copy emails etc across)

    Cheers
    SK

    Southern Kiwi, Sep 1, 2007
  10. Donchano

    Geoff Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    ..

    >> Every new PC I've seen with Vista has been a slug.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
    >> top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such
    >> as those I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.
    >>
    >> geoff
    >>

    > Just "downgraded" last night and am happier already.

    Now go to the Start menu, and choose "Classic Windows" themes and you'll be
    even happier !

    geoff

    Geoff, Sep 2, 2007
  11. Donchano

    Geoff Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:53:23 +1200, Geoff wrote:
    >
    >> I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
    >> top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such as
    >> those I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.

    > Interesting that one needs to "downgrade" from the most recent
    > iteration of M$ Windows in order to get better performance.
    >
    > Improvements should result in better performance, not poorer
    > performance.

    There may be some improvement under the hood, but they appear outweighed by
    the extra crud that MS pops into to appeal to those impressed by Apple-style
    gimmicks.

    Why are you interested ?

    geoff

    Geoff, Sep 2, 2007
  12. On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:57:43 +1200, Geoff wrote:

    >> Interesting that one needs to "downgrade" from the most recent iteration
    >> of M$ Windows in order to get better performance.
    >>
    >> Improvements should result in better performance, not poorer
    >> performance.

    > There may be some improvement under the hood, but they appear outweighed
    > by the extra crud that MS pops into to appeal to those impressed by
    > Apple-style gimmicks.
    >
    > Why are you interested ?

    Because I think that newer versions of software should be an improvement
    over older versions.

    that means there should also be performance _increases_ - all else being
    equal.

    I have never seen performance improvements with MS Windows, excepting that
    M$ did improve the _startup_ time between versions WinNT5.0 and WinNt5.1 .

    In terms of performance WinNT6.0 is a massive regression, with the OS
    alone consuming an excessively large chunk of CPU time even when the PC is
    not doing anything (other than being paranoid about DRM violations that is).

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 2, 2007
  13. Donchano

    Squiggle Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > In terms of performance WinNT6.0 is a massive regression, with the OS
    > alone consuming an excessively large chunk of CPU time even when the PC is
    > not doing anything (other than being paranoid about DRM violations that is).

    Have you got some numbers to back that statement up?
    Preferably back to back tests on the same hardware of a fresh install of
    Vista Business with a fresh install of XP Pro fully updated.

    Or did your mates mum's uncle's dog tell you?

    Squiggle, Sep 2, 2007
  14. Donchano

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message

    > In terms of performance WinNT6.0 is a massive regression, with the OS
    > alone consuming an excessively large chunk of CPU time even when the PC is
    > not doing anything (other than being paranoid about DRM violations that
    > is).

    I wasn't aware that 2-4% CPU was an "excessively large chunk". Got any facts
    to share, or just more zealot FUD?

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 2, 2007