Speaking of Pay Rates in FLA

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MF, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. MF

    MF Guest

    US-FL-Tampa-Software Training Instructor :.

    USD 14.00 per hour

    "We are in need of Software Training Instructor(s) for our
    Tampa, Florida area location(s). Our instructors are required to be
    able to teach Microsoft Office Suite, Quickbooks, Act!, and FrontPage.
    MAC experience helpful as well (This is not an entry level
    position--we are seeking experienced instructors)."

    I came across this on Monster. It's from CompUSA. It's mind
    boggling - and I've never used that phrase before. For perspective,
    Maple Shade NJ, a small, not at all wealthy, town outside Philadelphia
    is advertising for School Bus drivers, starting at $12.00 an hour.
    Part time drivers get $14 an hour.

    Good grief. I figure software skills plus training skills -
    experienced - is worth at least $20 an hour. Back in the good old
    days - 1999 - I was getting $200 to 245 a day to teach word and excel.
    And 250 to 400 a day to teach A+. Then during the crash, I got less
    to teach A+ and MCSE classes - but considering the state of the state
    of things, I was doing okay. Incidentally, now that we are in the
    midst of recovery, I may be eating boiled shoes for supper.

    Mike

    MF, Oct 4, 2003

  2. MF

    Dan Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > US-FL-Tampa-Software Training Instructor :.

    > USD 14.00 per hour
    >
    > "We are in need of Software Training Instructor(s) for our
    > Tampa, Florida area location(s). Our instructors are required to be
    > able to teach Microsoft Office Suite, Quickbooks, Act!, and FrontPage.
    > MAC experience helpful as well (This is not an entry level
    > position--we are seeking experienced instructors)."
    >
    > I came across this on Monster. It's from CompUSA. It's mind
    > boggling - and I've never used that phrase before. For perspective,
    > Maple Shade NJ, a small, not at all wealthy, town outside Philadelphia
    > is advertising for School Bus drivers, starting at $12.00 an hour.
    > Part time drivers get $14 an hour.
    >
    > Good grief. I figure software skills plus training skills -
    > experienced - is worth at least $20 an hour. Back in the good old
    > days - 1999 - I was getting $200 to 245 a day to teach word and excel.
    > And 250 to 400 a day to teach A+. Then during the crash, I got less
    > to teach A+ and MCSE classes - but considering the state of the state
    > of things, I was doing okay. Incidentally, now that we are in the
    > midst of recovery, I may be eating boiled shoes for supper.
    >
    > Mike

    The guys that will be making the big bucks are the ones that will be
    setting up the Servers in and around Baghdad. Seriously though, I
    really hate to discourage anyone, but there is more money to be made
    GETTING people certified, than there is in BEING certified. I have
    been A+ certified for a number of years now, and it really hasn't done
    shit for me.

    Henry Ford once said, that "Experience" was the supreme thing, it may
    have been when he was around, but not anymore. If you think your going
    to get certified and start making big bucks, your dreaming. You might as
    well be trying to get a job as one of Madonna's Bodyguards.

    But people will believe, what they want to believe. As one sage once
    said: "We all need to learn our own lessons" Unemployment levels are
    very close to the levels during the great depression. We have close to
    44 million people in the US alone without health Insurance.

    And it's going to get worse next year.

    There are thousands of people in this Country(USA) who are A+ certified
    and unemployed.

    Thats a fact.

    Next time your tempted to buy one of those A+ Manuals, turn it around and
    look at the Authors smiling face on the back cover.

    He's smiling, because after all the frustration he has been through
    writing books and articles on computers that no one reads, he has found
    the one thing that really PAYS.

    Writing Books to help people get certified.

    To get them certified for jobs that don't exist.

    To keep the Myth Alive

    You can be sure of one thing.....

    The Guy with the smiling face on the back cover HAS Health Insurance.

    Dan, Oct 5, 2003

  3. MF

    Guest

    This ia good analogy......

    Gary

    > The guys that will be making the big bucks are the ones that will be
    > setting up the Servers in and around Baghdad. Seriously though, I
    > really hate to discourage anyone, but there is more money to be made
    > GETTING people certified, than there is in BEING certified. I have
    >been A+ certified for a number of years now, and it really hasn't done
    >shit for me.
    >
    > Henry Ford once said, that "Experience" was the supreme thing, it may
    > have been when he was around, but not anymore. If you think your going
    >to get certified and start making big bucks, your dreaming. You might as
    >well be trying to get a job as one of Madonna's Bodyguards.
    >
    >But people will believe, what they want to believe. As one sage once
    >said: "We all need to learn our own lessons" Unemployment levels are
    >very close to the levels during the great depression. We have close to
    >44 million people in the US alone without health Insurance.
    >
    >And it's going to get worse next year.
    >
    >There are thousands of people in this Country(USA) who are A+ certified
    >and unemployed.
    >
    >Thats a fact.
    >
    >Next time your tempted to buy one of those A+ Manuals, turn it around and
    >look at the Authors smiling face on the back cover.
    >
    >He's smiling, because after all the frustration he has been through
    >writing books and articles on computers that no one reads, he has found
    >the one thing that really PAYS.
    >
    >Writing Books to help people get certified.
    >
    >To get them certified for jobs that don't exist.
    >
    >To keep the Myth Alive
    >
    >You can be sure of one thing.....
    >
    >The Guy with the smiling face on the back cover HAS Health Insurance.

    , Oct 5, 2003
  4. MF

    not2dumb Guest

    thats FLORIDA for you, I lived in Tampa- St pete in the 70's and 80's
    and I remember want ads/employment office posts like that
    back then.
    "electronic tech, 10 years exp, etc $7.00/hr" LOL

    not2dumb, Oct 6, 2003
  5. MF

    techshare Guest

    How does (blue collar) bus driver pay up North compare to this white collar
    job you found in Florida.

    I guess if you search for anything, you can eventually find it. However, I
    have not noticed anything but an increase in respect, pay, and availability
    of white collar work since moving to Florida from the midwest. On top of
    that, it's cheaper to live in many FL cities and towns! You can have
    Wistaxin, Taxachusetts, and Filthydelphia. Been there, done that, not doing
    it again.

    techshare, Oct 7, 2003
  6. MF

    techshare Guest

    No. An Indian in America is the one getting PAID nowadays to do IT work. In
    many cases, he's doing it without paying taxes! If you think it somehow does
    not affect PC repair/service/consulting ... think about this. How much was
    this kind of business worth 6 to 8 years ago? Why do you think it is worth
    less now? Have PC's and technology become less important in America? No!
    Actually, haven't they almost become a necessity? Yes!

    Just keep plugging along ... and if you can get away with it ... punch an
    H1-B or 2! J/K? ;)

    Also ... writing books is generally not profitable ... especially technical
    books! If you think you made a mistake paying for your certs, don't throw
    good money after bad trying to publish your own book. Try to find business
    that somehow someway can't be taken over by the d*mn Indians! F*ckin'
    desis.. they are everywhere you look anymore!

    techshare, Oct 7, 2003
  7. On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 00:34:50 -0400, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    (Misdirected anger deleted)

    "The Indians" aren't the root of the problem you're describing. If
    you're unhappy about the number of H1-Bs running around, take it up
    with the legislators who have created the problem by leaving loopholes
    in laws that were ostensibly meant to enable businesses to transfer
    the occasional overseas staff member to the US.

    To see who's introducing legislation to drop the number of H1-Bs and
    L-1s, check out this site:

    http://www.h1b.info/

    You could also take it up with the US employers (including yours if
    applicable) who think only of the bottom line, greedily taking on
    foreign workers to lower costs at the expense of established domestic
    workers' jobs.

    If, on the other hand, you continue to direct your ire at those who
    find work through the H1-B visa--people who, like all of us, are
    trying the best they can to make a living for themselves and their
    families--then you probably won't help change anything, and you'll
    just be bitter and possibly less employable yourself.

    Don't fall into this trap! Remember: "divide and conquer" works. If
    the workforce in the US is segmented into various Us/Them factions,
    with each group hostile toward others whom they see as having robbed
    them of their opportunities, then those pulling the strings at the top
    of the heap can keep up their shenanigans while no one's looking.

    Food for thought ...

    Cheers,
    Cindy Clayton

    Cindy Clayton, Oct 10, 2003
  8. MF

    MF Guest

    Cindy makes good points. Does anyone know what happened to the
    original post and the thread to which this responds?
    Thanks
    Mike

    MF, Oct 13, 2003