Speaking of Olympus and 4/3 . . .

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Miller, Sep 28, 2010.

  1. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    I was looking for a replacement for my Canon Powershot G2 as a walking
    around camera (really, my 5D is almost smaller than that old dinosaur)
    and had every intention of buying a G11. So on a trip to Chicago last
    week I took a trip by Calumet. I had looked at sample shots between the
    G11 and Digital Pens and after some extraordinarily helpful assistance
    from a Calumet employee (I don't remember her name, but she definitely
    went above and beyond) and after handling both the E-PL1 and E-P2, I
    decided on a Pen E-P2 (my sister has a G10 so I was pretty familiar with
    it already). I couldn't be happier. There really is nothing quite like
    the M4/3 cameras out there right now. They only had the kit with the
    17mm 2.8 Pancake lens, but that turned out to be a perfect walking
    around combo. I stitched this from two of my first shots taken the next day:

    http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2441268

    BTW, the moiré on the building in the background was somehow added when
    I resized the image for posting. That is one fun little camera . . . and
    it is smaller than my G2, though I would have liked a flip-out screen.
    I'll be getting the EVF as soon as I can afford it.

    Oh, and I cannot say enough about Calumet. They let me try out an E-PL1,
    and an E-P2, let me swap batteries because one was dead, made sure that
    I dealt with the person most familiar with the Olympus Pens, spent 30
    minutes answering my questions and letting me go through the menus, etc.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Sep 28, 2010

  2. Eric Miller

    Rich Guest

    On Sep 27, 10:54 pm, Eric Miller <>
    wrote:
    > I was looking for a replacement for my Canon Powershot G2 as a walking
    > around camera (really, my 5D is almost smaller than that old dinosaur)
    > and had every intention of buying a G11. So on a trip to Chicago last
    > week I took a trip by Calumet. I had looked at sample shots between the
    > G11 and Digital Pens and after some extraordinarily helpful assistance
    > from a Calumet employee (I don't remember her name, but she definitely
    > went above and beyond) and after handling both the E-PL1 and E-P2, I
    > decided on a Pen E-P2 (my sister has a G10 so I was pretty familiar with
    > it already). I couldn't be happier. There really is nothing quite like
    > the M4/3 cameras out there right now. They only had the kit with the
    > 17mm 2.8 Pancake lens, but that turned out to be a perfect walking
    > around combo. I stitched this from two of my first shots taken the next day:
    >
    > http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2441268
    >
    > BTW, the moiré on the building in the background was somehow added when
    > I resized the image for posting. That is one fun little camera . . . and
    > it is smaller than my G2, though I would have liked a flip-out screen.
    > I'll be getting the EVF as soon as I can afford it.
    >
    > Oh, and I cannot say enough about Calumet. They let me try out an E-PL1,
    > and an E-P2, let me swap batteries because one was dead, made sure that
    > I dealt with the person most familiar with the Olympus Pens, spent 30
    > minutes answering my questions and letting me go through the menus, etc.

    That is good, but then again, it should be their normal job. Not just
    telling soccer moms which camera to buy. Without service in stores,
    the ability to try out products, they might as well be internet buying
    sites.
    Rich, Sep 28, 2010

  3. Eric Miller

    peter Guest

    On 9/28/2010 4:20 PM, Rich wrote:
    > On Sep 27, 10:54 pm, Eric Miller<>
    > wrote:
    >> I was looking for a replacement for my Canon Powershot G2 as a walking
    >> around camera (really, my 5D is almost smaller than that old dinosaur)
    >> and had every intention of buying a G11. So on a trip to Chicago last
    >> week I took a trip by Calumet. I had looked at sample shots between the
    >> G11 and Digital Pens and after some extraordinarily helpful assistance
    >> from a Calumet employee (I don't remember her name, but she definitely
    >> went above and beyond) and after handling both the E-PL1 and E-P2, I
    >> decided on a Pen E-P2 (my sister has a G10 so I was pretty familiar with
    >> it already). I couldn't be happier. There really is nothing quite like
    >> the M4/3 cameras out there right now. They only had the kit with the
    >> 17mm 2.8 Pancake lens, but that turned out to be a perfect walking
    >> around combo. I stitched this from two of my first shots taken the next day:
    >>
    >> http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2441268
    >>
    >> BTW, the moiré on the building in the background was somehow added when
    >> I resized the image for posting. That is one fun little camera . . . and
    >> it is smaller than my G2, though I would have liked a flip-out screen.
    >> I'll be getting the EVF as soon as I can afford it.
    >>
    >> Oh, and I cannot say enough about Calumet. They let me try out an E-PL1,
    >> and an E-P2, let me swap batteries because one was dead, made sure that
    >> I dealt with the person most familiar with the Olympus Pens, spent 30
    >> minutes answering my questions and letting me go through the menus, etc.
    >>

    > That is good, but then again, it should be their normal job. Not just
    > telling soccer moms which camera to buy. Without service in stores,
    > the ability to try out products, they might as well be internet buying
    > sites.

    I don't know the last time you ever went to Calumet. Eric is right. In
    my dealings with Calumet over the years I have found them to be
    responsive to my needs, reliable and ethical in all their dealings. Any
    issues I ever had were resolved fairly and to my satisfaction.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Sep 28, 2010
  4. Eric Miller

    peter Guest

    On 9/29/2010 6:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    > peter<> wrote in
    >
    >> On 9/28/2010 4:20 PM, Rich wrote:

    >>> That is good, but then again, it should be their normal job. Not
    >>> just telling soccer moms which camera to buy. Without service in
    >>> stores, the ability to try out products, they might as well be
    >>> internet buying sites.
    >>>

    >> I don't know the last time you ever went to Calumet. Eric is right. In
    >> my dealings with Calumet over the years I have found them to be
    >> responsive to my needs, reliable and ethical in all their dealings.
    >> Any issues I ever had were resolved fairly and to my satisfaction.
    >>

    > I didn't say there were any issues. I just stated that you should expect
    > good service in a store, service that makes them more valuable than an
    > internet source. If a store doesn't deliver it, it should go bankrupt.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/128953234/original

    Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
    marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Sep 30, 2010
  5. Eric Miller

    Rich Guest

    On Sep 29, 7:57 pm, peter <> wrote:
    > On 9/29/2010 6:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    >

    > > peter<>  wrote in

    > >> I don't know the last time you ever went toCalumet. Eric is right. In
    > >> my dealings withCalumetover the years I have found them to be
    > >> responsive to my needs, reliable and ethical in all their dealings.
    > >> Any issues I ever had were resolved fairly and to my satisfaction.

    > > I didn't say there were any issues.  I just stated that you should expect
    > > good service in a store, service that makes them more valuable than an
    > > internet source. If a store doesn't deliver it, it should go bankrupt.

    > >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/128953234/original

    > Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
    > marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
    China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
    brag.
    Rich, Sep 30, 2010
  6. Eric Miller

    peter Guest

    On 9/30/2010 6:23 PM, Rich wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 7:57 pm, peter<> wrote:
    >> On 9/29/2010 6:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    >>

    >>> peter<> wrote in

    >>> I didn't say there were any issues. I just stated that you should expect
    >>> good service in a store, service that makes them more valuable than an
    >>> internet source. If a store doesn't deliver it, it should go bankrupt.

    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/128953234/original

    >> Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
    >> marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
    > China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
    > brag.

    You excel at sounding like an uneducated person who has no fundamental
    knowledge of business, economics and marketing.

    I am not about to even attempt to teach you.
    Bye

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 1, 2010
  7. Eric Miller

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
    : China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
    : brag.

    And where do Canadians buy their cut rate S---? Whoever sells it, I'll bet
    that it too is made in China.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2010
  8. Eric Miller

    peter Guest

    On 10/1/2010 9:17 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Rich<> wrote:
    > : On Sep 29, 7:57 pm, peter<> wrote:
    > :> Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
    > :> marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.
    > :
    > : Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
    > : China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
    > : brag.
    >
    > And where do Canadians buy their cut rate S---? Whoever sells it, I'll bet
    > that it too is made in China.

    There is a major issue now with corrosive wallboard, made in China. The
    wallboard has been coming in for years. (the problem is so widespread
    that the IRS has issued a "safe harbor" ruling on claiming the damage as
    a casualty loss.

    WTF ere the inspectors who were supposed to be checking the stuff. Yes,
    The Chinese are doing nothing more than American manufacturers would do
    the same thing if they thought they could get away with it.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 2, 2010
  9. Eric Miller

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Rich <> wrote:
    >: On Sep 29, 7:57 pm, peter <> wrote:
    >: > Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
    >: > marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.
    >:
    >: Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
    >: China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
    >: brag.
    >
    >And where do Canadians buy their cut rate S---? Whoever sells it, I'll bet
    >that it too is made in China.

    It's a very good thing that the large, well-established and highly
    profitable Canadian photo equipment manufacturing industry was never
    relocated to China.

    Otherwise, Canada would not be enjoying its current export surplus in
    the photo manufacturing sector. ;-)
    Bruce, Oct 2, 2010