    Musicals Collection -- and LAURA -- when I noticed that they were
    offering all three of the Noirs bundled together in a longbox for $19.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Mar 20, 2005

  2. "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    <<Back on Tuesday, I did my usual stop at Best Buy, and picked up two of the
    three Fox Noirs, CALL NORTHSIDE 777 and PANIC IN THE STREETS (they had,
    unfortunately, sold all their copies of LAURA by the time I got there), for
    what seemed like the reasonable price of $10 each.>>

    <<A day later, I was in a Costco looking to see if they had the Classic
    Musicals Collection -- and LAURA -- when I noticed that they were offering
    all three of the Noirs bundled together in a longbox for $19. -- jayembee>>

    Nearly all of Costco's DVDs and CDs are packaged in longboxes and this type
    of packaging is not usually found at other stores. Sometimes I think that
    Costco buyers must have enough clout that they can have exclusive bundles of
    some of these Warner and Fox noir classics made up specially for the store.
    I don't know if this is the case with these Fox Film Noirs, because the
    cellophane wrapper on each DVD said, "Not for individual sale."

    I bought the Costco Fox box that you mentioned (item #222825) for $17.99. At
    $6 per DVD, these prices are about the same as Wal-Mart charges for the crap
    in their bargain bin. Some of these Costco longboxes are featured as
    valuable supplemental material when the collections are sold on eBay.

    As for the individual titles:

    CALL NORTHSIDE 777: Although the extras are skimpy, this is my favorite of
    the three titles. Jimmy Stewart, Lee J. Cobb and Richard Conte give
    outstanding performances. Great script, based on a true story, and the James
    Ursini/Alain Silver commentary is fascinating.

    LAURA: This is the probably the title that most people will like best, and
    it is loaded with extras. Roger Ebert put his finger on the absurdity of the
    plot: "Film noir is known for its convoluted plots and arbitrary twists, but
    even in a genre that gave us ''The Maltese Falcon,'' this takes some kind of
    prize. ''Laura'' (1944) has a detective who never goes to the station; a
    suspect who is invited to tag along as other suspects are interrogated; a
    heroine who is dead for most of the film; a man insanely jealous of a woman
    even though he never for a moment seems heterosexual; a romantic lead who is
    a dull-witted Kentucky bumpkin moving in Manhattan penthouse society, and a
    murder weapon that is returned to its hiding place by the cop, who will
    ''come by for it in the morning.'' The only nude scene involves the jealous
    man and the cop."

    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20020120/REVIEWS08/201200301/1023

    PANIC IN THE STREETS: This title is good enough to rent, but not good enough
    to buy separately. I have trouble accepting Dick Widmark as anything other
    than a giggling psychopath. On that note, I am glad to see that _Kiss of
    Death_ (1947) is scheduled for release on October 4, 2005. When it comes to
    pushing old ladies in wheelchairs down flights of stairs, Dick Widmark has
    no equal.

    One-Shot Scot, Mar 20, 2005

  3. jayembee

    Stan Brown Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >''Laura'' (1944) has ... a man insanely jealous of a woman
    >even though he never for a moment seems heterosexual;

    I always assumed he was pissed off because he wanted Dana Andrews
    for himself and Andrews preferred a dead Gene Tierney to a live
    Clifton Webb. He certainly did play the quintessential evil queen,
    though.

    I ordered Laura and Dinner at Eight on Thursday and got a note
    yesterday that both shipped. I'm stoked!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 20, 2005
  4. "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > "One-Shot Scot" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >''Laura'' (1944) has ... a man insanely jealous of a woman
    > >even though he never for a moment seems heterosexual;

    > I always assumed he was pissed off because he wanted Dana
    > Andrews for himself and Andrews preferred a dead Gene Tierney to
    > a live Clifton Webb. He certainly did play the quintessential
    > evil queen, though.
    >
    > I ordered Laura and Dinner at Eight on Thursday and got
    > a note yesterday that both shipped. I'm stoked!

    And Waldo Lydecker has such great dialog! From the bathroom scene, as Dana
    Andrews enters the room: "I noted his attention was fixed upon my cock." Or
    maybe it was "clock." Whatever. As Mr. Lydecker says soon after this, "I am
    the most widely misquoted man in America." Later, he refers to Vincent Price
    as "a male beauty in distress."

    While other studios have trouble including inserts with their $25-$30
    titles, Fox has managed to include a 4-page, glossy, full-color insert in
    each of its latest noir titles. The one from _Laura_ has several fun facts,
    including this one: "Hedda Hopper interviewed Clifton Webb on his first day
    of shooting, which happened to be on the set of the luxurious bathroom. Webb
    reportedly told Hopper they started with that scene because his costumes
    were "sidetracked in Kansas -- got caught in a flood." "

    One-Shot Scot, Mar 20, 2005
  5. jayembee

    Stan Brown Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >And Waldo Lydecker has such great dialog! From the bathroom scene, as Dana
    >Andrews enters the room: "I noted his attention was fixed upon my cock." Or
    >maybe it was "clock." Whatever. As Mr. Lydecker says soon after this, "I am
    >the most widely misquoted man in America." Later, he refers to Vincent Price
    >as "a male beauty in distress."

    Although George Sanders (Addison De Witt in /All About Eve/) does
    well too. "Here, read my column. The minutes will fly like hours."
    And the priceless advice to Marilyn Monroe, "Se that man? He's Max
    Fabian, the producer. Now go and do yourself some good."

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 21, 2005