    back of a laptop computer, you shot a frame by hitting a key on the board.

    I've been trying to find some info about it, it was like $50,000 when it
    first came out.

    zeitgeist, Oct 24, 2003

  2. "zeitgeist" <> wrote in message
    news:3D2mb.6009$mZ5.32609@attbi_s54...
    > the original Foveon camera, the laptop with a canon lens stuck up its ...
    >
    > no, really, it looked like they took a lens off a movie camera (cause the
    > end didn't fit into a wide camera bod but into a yoke that wrapped about

    the
    > back of a laptop computer, you shot a frame by hitting a key on the board.
    >
    > I've been trying to find some info about it, it was like $50,000 when it
    > first came out.

    It's addressed on their website...

    13. What is the relationship between the Foveon X3 and the 16-megapixel
    technology announcement?
    In September 2000, Foveon announced its successful design and manufacturing
    of a 16-megapixel image sensor that uses 0.18-micron CMOS fabrication design
    rules. The Foveon X3 image sensor is a more sophisticated technology that
    builds on this earlier technology announcement.

    George Preddy, Oct 24, 2003

  3. zeitgeist

    Alan Browne Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    >>back of a laptop computer, you shot a frame by hitting a key on the board.
    >>
    >>I've been trying to find some info about it, it was like $50,000 when it
    >>first came out.

    > It's addressed on their website...
    >
    > 13. What is the relationship between the Foveon X3 and the 16-megapixel
    > technology announcement?
    > In September 2000, Foveon announced its successful design and manufacturing
    > of a 16-megapixel image sensor that uses 0.18-micron CMOS fabrication design
    > rules. The Foveon X3 image sensor is a more sophisticated technology that
    > builds on this earlier technology announcement.

    The intent of the question really flew over your head George.

    Let's try B&W: When will Foveon/Sigma have a sensor beyond their
    current 3.4 Mpix in the marketplace?

    Alan Browne, Oct 24, 2003
  4. "Alan Browne" <"Alan Browne"@videotron.canospam> wrote in message

    > George Preddy wrote:
    >

    > >>back of a laptop computer, you shot a frame by hitting a key on the

    board.

    > >>I've been trying to find some info about it, it was like $50,000 when it
    > >>first came out.

    > > It's addressed on their website...
    > >
    > > 13. What is the relationship between the Foveon X3 and the 16-megapixel
    > > technology announcement?
    > > In September 2000, Foveon announced its successful design and

    manufacturing
    > > of a 16-megapixel image sensor that uses 0.18-micron CMOS fabrication

    design
    > > rules. The Foveon X3 image sensor is a more sophisticated technology

    that
    > > builds on this earlier technology announcement.

    > The intent of the question really flew over your head George.
    >
    > Let's try B&W: When will Foveon/Sigma have a sensor beyond their
    > current 3.4 Mpix in the marketplace?

    That's the intent of asking what happened to the Foveon prototype? Hardly.

    As for your unrelated question, who could possibly know? They are a private
    company that is consumed with SD-9 sales andthey have an exclusive agreement
    with Sigma.

    George Preddy, Oct 25, 2003
  5. In article <3D2mb.6009$mZ5.32609@attbi_s54>,
    zeitgeist says...

    > the original Foveon camera, the laptop with a canon lens stuck up its ...
    >
    > no, really, it looked like they took a lens off a movie camera (cause the
    > end didn't fit into a wide camera bod but into a yoke that wrapped about the
    > back of a laptop computer, you shot a frame by hitting a key on the board.
    >
    > I've been trying to find some info about it, it was like $50,000 when it
    > first came out.

    12.000 USD when they last displayed it about 5 years ago
    on the Cologne Photokina exhibition. Side by side with
    huge prints from a 16.8 Mpix b/w sensor from pictures
    by Greg Gorman. Missed him, but talekd to his assistent/friend
    for a while, who was mightily impressed with the machine,
    although he admittedly had loads of handling problems due
    to the mechanical setup.

    --
    Michael Quack <>

    http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
    http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm

    Michael Quack, Nov 2, 2003
  6. zeitgeist

    Joe Butts

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Original Foveon Camera

    I ran across your "ancient" posts about the original Foveon camera and thought I'd share some light. Hope it gets to you.
    I was one of the 8 photographers chosen to R&D the original Foveon.
    I still have mine. Haven't used it for ages but I have turned it on to see if it still works and it does. I figure at some point it may make a nice museum piece.

    It was truly an amazing camera and in some respects still is.

    Yes, it was literally a laptop computer with a Canon 28-70 f2.8 zoom lens mounted on it. Any other Canon lenses would work and I have used several.

    The design of the system included 3 chips and a prism that split the image into Red, Blue and Green. The image was captured on each chip and merged back together creating an image that looked like it was shot on Kodachrome.

    It's a square format camera. We were producing 30x30 images with little to no manipulation that were stunning.

    Someone came in from the FBI to look at the camera. One of the images was a hand holding an automatic weapon. He commented that he could obviously identify the gun by the serial number but that the quality of the image was so good that he could identify who was holding it by their fingerprints. That was one of the 30x30s.

    If you have any more questions, curious about the camera or are interested in purchasing it, feel free to contact me. Just in case my contact info is not included, simply Google my name. You won't have trouble finding me I'm sure -- as long as you don't wait too long. :)
    Joe Butts

    Joe Butts, Sep 19, 2010