    effect that would have... all volume controls are at defaults and i use
    the stereo to adjust the volume. really annoying as it basically makes
    DVDs unwatchable.
    gimp, Nov 13, 2004

  2. gimp

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "gimp" <> wrote in message
    news:cn4i4b$kuf$...
    > i'm watching DVD movies on TV through my PC's DVD player (Sony DRU 510A,
    > Envy24 onboard sound), used to work perfectly, but now the sound keeps
    > cutting out at high volume. i think the only thing that's changed recently
    > is i'm now running XP instead of win2K, but i can't see what effect that
    > would have... all volume controls are at defaults and i use the stereo to
    > adjust the volume. really annoying as it basically makes DVDs unwatchable.

    Could just be your connections. Check how it sounds on the PC speakers. If
    they don't cut out then the problem isn't that great. Might even be the
    connection in your stereo or even in the guts of it.
    Try other things on the same line in to your stereo to be sure it works okay
    with them.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 13, 2004

  3. gimp

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:54:29 +1300, gimp <> wrote:

    >i'm watching DVD movies on TV through my PC's DVD player (Sony DRU 510A,
    >Envy24 onboard sound), used to work perfectly, but now the sound keeps
    >cutting out at high volume. i think the only thing that's changed
    >recently is i'm now running XP instead of win2K, but i can't see what
    >effect that would have... all volume controls are at defaults and i use
    >the stereo to adjust the volume. really annoying as it basically makes
    >DVDs unwatchable.

    Vibration onto the DVD Disk..?

    What 3D card are you using..?

    On board sound do hog the CPU a bit unless you are using the Nvidia one..

    Monitor the CPU usage when its playing a DVD..

    And disable all none essential back ground tasks, and some of the XP
    Services,,
    Geronimo, Nov 13, 2004
  4. On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:54:29 +1300, gimp <> wrote
    in <news:cn4i4b$kuf$>:

    > i'm watching DVD movies on TV through my PC's DVD player (Sony DRU 510A,
    > Envy24 onboard sound), used to work perfectly, but now the sound keeps
    > cutting out at high volume. i think the only thing that's changed
    > recently is i'm now running XP instead of win2K, but i can't see what
    > effect that would have... all volume controls are at defaults and i use
    > the stereo to adjust the volume. really annoying as it basically makes
    > DVDs unwatchable.

    Suggest reducing the output from the sound card or the input level of the
    DVD sound channel in your mixer and compensating, if necessary, by turning
    the volume up on your stereo. My thinking here is that if the output from
    the sound card is too high then it may well be overwhelming the input
    stage(s) of the stereo and causing clipping on loud passages, as you
    describe.
    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - One often gets much more than one asks for, not all of it necessarily
    good.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 13, 2004
  5. gimp

    Richard Guest

    gimp wrote:

    > i'm watching DVD movies on TV through my PC's DVD player (Sony DRU 510A,
    > Envy24 onboard sound), used to work perfectly, but now the sound keeps
    > cutting out at high volume. i think the only thing that's changed
    > recently is i'm now running XP instead of win2K, but i can't see what
    > effect that would have... all volume controls are at defaults and i use
    > the stereo to adjust the volume. really annoying as it basically makes
    > DVDs unwatchable.

    Some soundcards will mute rather then produce clipped output.

    I would suggest you turn the speaker output down on the soundcards mixer, I am
    not familiar with the envy24.

    If you are using the 5.1 output configured as 5.1 speakers then you may have too
    much LFE mix going on, or need to start changing the output to raw 5.1 and do
    the bass management on the home theatre receiver.
    Richard, Nov 14, 2004