    help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Elektra

    elektra2, Sep 26, 2004

  2. elektra2

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am just trying to figure out what the optinum level is to set my Home
    > Theater speakers at. I have each individual channel set at +6db. Is that too
    > much or two little? What do you find works best?

    Having them all set equal means it doesn't matter if they're all at +6
    or at 0 -- the ultimate levels will depend on your master volume.

    I've got a Radio Shack sound meter which I use along with the white
    noise generator of the receiver/dvd player to set the channels so they
    all balance (on the meter) at the ear level of my sweet spot on the
    couch.

    Then I usually boost the center channel to compensate for the overly-
    loud music channels on the sides drowning out the dialogue (yes, I know
    there's a reason, and I know that it can be mitigated with a sound
    compression option on the dvd player).

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Sep 26, 2004

  3. elektra2

    Rich Clark Guest

    "elektra2" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am just trying to figure out what the optinum level is to set my Home
    > Theater speakers at. I have each individual channel set at +6db. Is that
    > too
    > much or two little? What do you find works best?
    >
    > Right now there seems to be a lot of distortion coming from my subwoofer.
    > Is
    > there something in the settings that I can adjust to eliminate that? Any
    > help would be appreciated.

    Start with everything at zero. Remember that zero doesn't mean "off" - it
    means "not above or below the reference level." Then use the pink noise
    generator (or the "THX Optimizer" included on many DVDs) to balance the
    speakers so that all 5 (or 6 if you have a 6.1 system) channels are audibly
    balanced).

    If your system has a separate subwoofer level control set it at zero also.
    Follow the manufacturer's instructions to set the sub's own level control.
    Pink noise isn't useful for setting subwoofer levels, so if you don't have
    access to a test disk with frequency sweeps or test tones, you'll have to
    use your judgment to set the levels.

    Distortion is an indication the sub is being overdriven. Turn down the amp
    and turn up the sub's onboard control.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Sep 26, 2004
  4. elektra2

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:23:54 -0400, "elektra2" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I am just trying to figure out what the optinum level is to set my Home
    >Theater speakers at. I have each individual channel set at +6db. Is that too
    >much or two little? What do you find works best?
    >
    >Right now there seems to be a lot of distortion coming from my subwoofer. Is
    >there something in the settings that I can adjust to eliminate that? Any
    >help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Elektra

    Don't be tied down to THX or other specific requirements for speaker
    levels. If you find voices are not loud enough, or the surrounds
    don't have enough impact to suit you, turn them up a bit until it's
    pleasing. Always start by using your ears or a sound meter and adjust
    the volume according to where you sit. Using the test tone, make sure
    all speaker levels are as equal as possible. But don't be afraid to
    deviate a bit as various DVDs do not have perfect reference recording
    levels either because they weren't done correctly when mastered
    or the movie is old and has been remixed to a pseudo-5.1, or extended
    soundmix. This will likely have to be done on a DVD by DVD basis, as
    needed.

    Richard, Sep 28, 2004