    has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
    the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
    the wall? Thanks.
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Scribner

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:

    > I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
    > saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more, it
    > has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
    > the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
    > the wall? Thanks.

    Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

    Meat Plow, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
    >> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more, it
    >> has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
    >> the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
    >> the wall? Thanks.

    >Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

    Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006
  4. Scribner

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Scribner spewed forth:
    > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
    >>> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more,
    >>> it has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches
    >>> from the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or
    >>> less, from the wall? Thanks.

    >> Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

    > Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

    I would say in a smallish enviroment where you aren't cranking amps through
    it, you might be okay. But the port clearance is important to your bass
    reproduction at good signal levels. If the port is blocked, the woofer
    movement is restricted by back pressure. So if you like things LOUD you
    really might have an issue.

    There are (or at least used to be) speaker systems which are ported to the
    front - you might do some more shopping.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Scribner

    thanatoid Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:55 +0000, Scribner wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center
    >> speaker. I saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that
    >> my TV. What's more, it has a port in the rear. JBL says
    >> that the port must be 5 inches from the wall. How bad
    >> would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from the
    >> wall? Thanks.

    > Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

    The 5 inches distance is for low frequency dispersion/refection,
    which the subwoofer and other speakers should be taking care of
    if the rest of your speakers are any good. Well, I guess it
    depends on the soundtrack, but the center speaker is generally
    intended for dialogue.

    It probably won't make that much of a difference but doing what
    Meat Plow suggests is the only way to find out. (Not to mention
    ANY speaker will sound TOTALLY different in your place than in
    any store.)

    Also, have you considered moving your TV a couple of inches
    forward? TV's (everything, really) need decent air circulation
    to prevent overheating. Check you manual, it probably recommends
    5 (or MORE) inches from the wall in the first place.

    I know little about home theaters, except that Bose should be
    forever
    cursed for being the first to come up with those awful 3x3"
    speakers and a subwoofer. At least they were very good
    *quality*, but still *sounded* terrible IMO. Barely adequate
    even for discreet restaurant use - their original target. All
    the knock-offs you see now are just total garbage, again, IMO.
    And, again IMO, JBL's are not that great (well, better than
    many, still), just well-known. They used to be REALLY good a
    LONG time before there was even VHS. Due to market realities, a
    lot of traditionally quality companies now make cheap crap
    (notwithstanding their expensive stuff can be very good) -
    *especially* for the computer market. Klipsch used to make
    INCREDIBLE speakers, as did Polk Audio, but their computer
    speakers are crap like all the others. If you want good sound
    out of your computer, dig your old stereo out from the pile in
    the basement or get one at a garage sale or something.

    Depending on how important looks etc. are to you, you might be
    able to find a really good speaker of a brand you may have never
    heard of which will sound a *lot* better. It may even be a
    normal stereo-type speaker which you can hang above the TV
    rather than setting it on top. You won't believe how much better
    the sound will be. (Of course, you may then decide to change all
    your speakers... It can get a little hairy. I just stick to 2
    channels, personally. Life is complicated enough.)

    Also, many believe that all speakers in a well-sounding balanced
    system should be of a matched set by the same manufacturer. And
    most REALLY good speakers used to be made by people who didn't
    make home theater speaker systems. But things are changing.

    Just a little ranting to pass the time...

    Good luck.
    thanatoid, Apr 18, 2006
  6. Scribner

    Meat Plow Guest

    No homework can substitute what the **** you hear, Imbecile.

    Meat Plow, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:29:13 -0500, thanatoid
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >the basement or get one at a garage sale or something.
    >
    >Depending on how important looks etc. are to you, you might be
    >able to find a really good speaker of a brand you may have never
    >heard of which will sound a *lot* better. It may even be a
    >normal stereo-type speaker which you can hang above the TV
    >rather than setting it on top. You won't believe how much better
    >the sound will be. (Of course, you may then decide to change all
    >your speakers... It can get a little hairy. I just stick to 2
    >channels, personally. Life is complicated enough.)
    >
    >Also, many believe that all speakers in a well-sounding balanced
    >system should be of a matched set by the same manufacturer. And
    >most REALLY good speakers used to be made by people who didn't
    >make home theater speaker systems. But things are changing.
    >
    >Just a little ranting to pass the time...

    Ok, if I need the port free, why can't I put an elbow pipe over the
    port and re-direct the air flow sideways instead of straight back?
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:29:31 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:41:08 +0000, Scribner wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

    >> Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

    >No homework can substitute what the **** you hear, Imbecile.

    But homework can weed out the shit so that I can concentrate on the
    variations of good.
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006
  9. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:04:04 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Scribner spewed forth:
    >> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:27:46 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Try it, if it doesn't sound good, return it for a refund.

    >> Thanks. But I hate returning things. I prefer to do my homework.

    >I would say in a smallish enviroment where you aren't cranking amps through
    >it, you might be okay. But the port clearance is important to your bass
    >reproduction at good signal levels. If the port is blocked, the woofer
    >movement is restricted by back pressure. So if you like things LOUD you
    >really might have an issue.
    >
    >There are (or at least used to be) speaker systems which are ported to the
    >front - you might do some more shopping.

    Thanks.
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006
  10. Scribner

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Scribner
    <> wrote:

    > Ok, if I need the port free, why can't I put an elbow pipe over the
    > port and re-direct the air flow sideways instead of straight back?

    It's not about FLOW, it's about the waves coming out -- they go both an
    and out, and the shape of surfaces behind should make a difference.

    If I had a problem like you are describing, I'd try to point the
    speaker downward, put some kind of wedge baffle behind it, or find some
    way to install it as directed.
    I think pushing it toward the wall is going to dampen all of the
    benefit, or at worst create vibration in the wall or supports.
    Mitch, Apr 18, 2006
  11. Scribner

    doS Guest

    thats a dumbass question, why the hell do you think they said 5 inches?

    doS, Apr 18, 2006
  12. Scribner

    doS Guest

    up your arse...

    doS, Apr 18, 2006
  13. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:10:01 -0400, "doS" <>
    wrote:

    >thats a dumbass question, why the hell do you think they said 5 inches?
    >
    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center speaker. I
    >> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV. What's more, it
    >> has a port in the rear. JBL says that the port must be 5 inches from
    >> the wall. How bad would it be if the port were 1 inch, or less, from
    >> the wall? Thanks.

    Ok, so I won't buy the speaker. Thanks.
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006
  14. Scribner

    thanatoid Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in

    > thats a dumbass question, why the hell do you think they
    > said 5 inches?
    >
    > "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center
    >>speaker. I
    >> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV.
    >> What's more, it has a port in the rear. JBL says that the
    >> port must be 5 inches from the wall. How bad would it be
    >> if the port were 1 inch, or less, from the wall? Thanks.

    It's amusing to see someone asking a perfectly valid question
    get flamed like I used to get in another group no matter *what*
    I said.

    Anyway...

    Although whoever it was that said a pipe is NG is technically
    correct, BOSE (yup, them again) made a VERY good sounding (and
    loud, although the louder it got, the worse it sounded) desktop
    cd/radio which was called the Wave I think. It was white and had
    tubes inside redirecting the flow of the large amount of air low
    frequencies produce. You see it often on sets of TV sitcoms,
    just like the vertical B&O 5-CD players, top of the line Macs in
    crappy little accounting offices, and other stuff which is
    incomprehensible until you realize that perhaps afterwards, the
    people in charge of set design and product placement get to take
    the stuff home, so they choose the "best" - that's my guess,
    anyway.

    So, while BOSE did it, they have engineers, even though they are
    also responsible for the aforementioned 3" pieces of garbage.

    I still think you should move your TV away from the wall and
    test the JBL speaker to see if you like the sound in your home.
    That's the simplest way out of this - for now, anyway.

    And 5 inches is a guideline. I am sure it would sound roughly
    the same (you can unplug or switch off all the other
    speakers/channels to test it) with 2 or 7 inches. Not 0 and 10,
    though.
    thanatoid, Apr 18, 2006
  15. Scribner

    JANA Guest

    The port is for the bass reflex action. The closer it is to the wall, the
    more the low end may get cancelled. At one inch, I am sure the speaker will
    work, but you may not get the proper low end response.

    You would have to try it to see if you are happy with it.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 18, 2006
  16. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:39:35 -0500, thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    >"doS" <> wrote in
    >
    >> thats a dumbass question, why the hell do you think they
    >> said 5 inches?
    >>
    >> "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>>I was thinking about upgrading my home theatre's center
    >>>speaker. I
    >>> saw a JBL that I like, but it is thicker that my TV.
    >>> What's more, it has a port in the rear. JBL says that the
    >>> port must be 5 inches from the wall. How bad would it be
    >>> if the port were 1 inch, or less, from the wall? Thanks.

    >It's amusing to see someone asking a perfectly valid question
    >get flamed like I used to get in another group no matter *what*
    >I said.
    >
    >Anyway...
    >
    >Although whoever it was that said a pipe is NG is technically
    >correct, BOSE (yup, them again) made a VERY good sounding (and
    >loud, although the louder it got, the worse it sounded) desktop
    >cd/radio which was called the Wave I think. It was white and had
    >tubes inside redirecting the flow of the large amount of air low
    >frequencies produce. You see it often on sets of TV sitcoms,
    >just like the vertical B&O 5-CD players, top of the line Macs in
    >crappy little accounting offices, and other stuff which is
    >incomprehensible until you realize that perhaps afterwards, the
    >people in charge of set design and product placement get to take
    >the stuff home, so they choose the "best" - that's my guess,
    >anyway.
    >
    >So, while BOSE did it, they have engineers, even though they are
    >also responsible for the aforementioned 3" pieces of garbage.
    >
    >I still think you should move your TV away from the wall and
    >test the JBL speaker to see if you like the sound in your home.
    >That's the simplest way out of this - for now, anyway.
    >
    >And 5 inches is a guideline. I am sure it would sound roughly
    >the same (you can unplug or switch off all the other
    >speakers/channels to test it) with 2 or 7 inches. Not 0 and 10,
    >though.

    Thanks. But my TV hangs on my wall. It can't be moved. I'll just
    find another speaker. And thank you for recognizing my question as
    valid.
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006
  17. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:12:02 -0400, "JANA" <> wrote:

    >The port is for the bass reflex action. The closer it is to the wall, the
    >more the low end may get cancelled. At one inch, I am sure the speaker will
    >work, but you may not get the proper low end response.
    >
    >You would have to try it to see if you are happy with it.

    Thanks. But I'll go for another speaker. this one is too much
    trouble.
    Scribner, Apr 18, 2006