    havent fired the car up again yet.

    Please advise!.

    TIA:)

    billybronco, Oct 10, 2004

  2. billybronco

    Special Ed Guest

    "billybronco" <> wrote in message
    news:Ypiad.6242$...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I thought Id give my car a service since its been over 10000 miles since
    > the last one.
    > On changing the spark plugs, I heard a cracking noise as I was removing
    > one of them. When I had pulled it out, I inspected it, and a piece of the
    > porcelain was chipped off. I inspected the cylinder hole and could not see
    > it down there. I assume it fell further down.
    >
    > Have I screwed up majorly?. Will that piece of plug damage the engine?. I
    > havent fired the car up again yet.
    >
    > Please advise!.
    >
    > TIA:)

    I think it's unlikely the broken piece fell into the spark plug hole-- the
    plug was in the hole when the porcelain broke. If you were using a spark
    plug socket with a neoprene insert, it definitely didn't fall in.

    If you can view down the hole, shine a small flashlight in and see what you
    can see...

    Edw.

    Special Ed, Oct 10, 2004

  3. billybronco

    FatSod Guest

    "Special Ed" <> wrote in message
    > "billybronco" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I thought Id give my car a service since its been over 10000 miles since
    > > the last one.
    > > On changing the spark plugs, I heard a cracking noise as I was removing
    > > one of them. When I had pulled it out, I inspected it, and a piece of

    the
    > > porcelain was chipped off. I inspected the cylinder hole and could not

    see
    > > it down there. I assume it fell further down.
    > >
    > > Have I screwed up majorly?. Will that piece of plug damage the engine?.

    > > havent fired the car up again yet.
    > >
    > > Please advise!.
    > >
    > > TIA:)
    > >

    > I think it's unlikely the broken piece fell into the spark plug hole-- the
    > plug was in the hole when the porcelain broke. If you were using a spark
    > plug socket with a neoprene insert, it definitely didn't fall in.
    >
    > If you can view down the hole, shine a small flashlight in and see what

    you
    > can see...
    >
    > Edw.

    As Edw says, it's unlikely. BUT, and it's a big BUT, if it has fallen
    down the hole it WILL do a lot of damage to the bore and piston.
    See if you can borrow an Borescope locally. So you can check to
    if a piece has fallen inside. If it has, then the head will have to come
    off.

    Fatsod

    FatSod, Oct 10, 2004
  4. billybronco

    Cubzilla Guest

    Why take the head off, get a vac with a small nozzle down the plug hole .

    Regards

    Cubzilla, Oct 11, 2004
  5. billybronco

    FatSod Guest

    Good Idea, then recheck with borescope

    FatSod, Oct 11, 2004
  6. In article <B2jad.6267$>,
    FatSod <> wrote:
    > See if you can borrow an Borescope locally. So you can check to
    > if a piece has fallen inside. If it has, then the head will have to come
    > off.

    I'd try lots of things before removing the head. A pearl catcher would be
    first.

    --
    *A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

    Dave Plowman London SW
    To e-mail, change noise into sound.

    Dave Plowman (News), Oct 11, 2004
  7. Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
    > In article <B2jad.6267$>,
    > FatSod <> wrote:
    >
    >>See if you can borrow an Borescope locally. So you can check to
    >>if a piece has fallen inside. If it has, then the head will have to come
    >>off.

    > I'd try lots of things before removing the head. A pearl catcher would be
    > first.

    The hole might be a bit on the small side for someone to go diving into.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Oct 11, 2004
  8. billybronco

    Scrote Guest

    Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
    >> In article <B2jad.6267$>,
    >> FatSod <> wrote:
    >>> See if you can borrow an Borescope locally. So you can check to
    >>> if a piece has fallen inside. If it has, then the head will have
    >>> to come off.

    >> I'd try lots of things before removing the head. A pearl catcher
    >> would be first.

    There's a necklace joke in there somewhere ;-)
    --
    Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it
    themselves.

    Scrote, Oct 11, 2004
  9. billybronco

    PK Guest