Spanning-Tree cost 3004

Discussion in 'Software' started by tobyarnett, Oct 1, 2007.

1. tobyarnett

tobyarnett

I am trying to figure out how the cost on one of my links is 3004. I know how spanning tree should be determining cost, by which I am referring to using the speed of the media type and converting that into a cost, and or using the cost command that I can set. But if my link is a 100 Mb link, then both sides of the connection should be a cost of 19. How does that equate to 3004?

Just to note there are 4 switches in this diagramn. Think of them connecting like a square. The bottom two are my Core switches. The bottom left is my root. The connections on the sides going up are 100 MB, and the connections on the left right is 1GB. My exit point is trying to reach the top right switch. Any suggestions for setting up the cost so that the path will go from bottom left, to top left to top right, then out?

Also how is the cost of 3004 determined? This is a pvst model and the bottom two switches are CATOS and the top two are IOS.

Thanks in advance.

tobyarnett, Oct 1, 2007
    1. Advertising

2. tobyarnett

tobyarnett

Never Mind I got it squared away. Set the costs on the two links that go up and down to an arbitrary number of 25 at each connecting interface to avoid later changes due to media, left the 1 GB interconnect at the bottom (left right) at the default of 4 for each link, then adjusted the top interconnect 1GB link to have a cost of 2. Since the bottom left is my root the shortest distance is to go up the left side to the top left corner then across to the top right corner.

tobyarnett, Oct 2, 2007
    1. Advertising