spanning tree blocked ports in MIB?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ton de w, Jul 29, 2006.

  1. ton de w

    ton de w Guest

    Hello,

    Have to attend a meeting and comment on displaying spanning tree
    blocked ports via a network management system using snmp gets.

    The kit is cisco (not quite sure which) and there are VLANs, VRFs, MPLS
    implemented.
    with RSTP and MST. Actually I am not quite sure what Multiple Spanning
    Tree means, cos if you have lotsa VPNs I suppose you have lotsa STP
    and/or RSTP as well.

    Sooo, I was wondering why one might want to identify blocked ports in a
    (R)STP environment?
    And if blocked ports are useful to know about maybe we need to know
    about root ports as well?

    But my main question is can someone identify a MIB that has blocked
    ports for (R)STP within or a URL to checkout myself (Fine Manuals read
    wit enthusiasm!).
    Or identify a case when blocked ports are not visible as I suppose MPLS
    must hide a few things now and again.

    Thanx in advance for your help!

    Ton
    ton de w, Jul 29, 2006

  2. ton de w

    flamer Guest

    ton de w wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Have to attend a meeting and comment on displaying spanning tree
    > blocked ports via a network management system using snmp gets.
    >
    > The kit is cisco (not quite sure which) and there are VLANs, VRFs, MPLS
    > implemented.
    > with RSTP and MST. Actually I am not quite sure what Multiple Spanning
    > Tree means, cos if you have lotsa VPNs I suppose you have lotsa STP
    > and/or RSTP as well.
    >
    > Sooo, I was wondering why one might want to identify blocked ports in a
    > (R)STP environment?
    > And if blocked ports are useful to know about maybe we need to know
    > about root ports as well?
    >
    > But my main question is can someone identify a MIB that has blocked
    > ports for (R)STP within or a URL to checkout myself (Fine Manuals read
    > wit enthusiasm!).
    > Or identify a case when blocked ports are not visible as I suppose MPLS
    > must hide a few things now and again.
    >
    > Thanx in advance for your help!
    >
    > Ton

    Hi I only just skimmed your question: stp & rstp are there to block
    ports when you have multiple links going from and to the same place. it
    decides which is the better link and uses that and shuts down the other
    as to avoid split horizon.

    you can run 'sh span ?' on the switch to see what commands you have
    available.. it varys switch to switch. there are listening, forwarding
    and blocking states.

    Flamer.
    flamer , Jul 31, 2006

  3. ton de w

    ton de w Guest

    flamer wrote:
    > ton de w wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Have to attend a meeting and comment on displaying spanning tree
    > > blocked ports via a network management system using snmp gets.
    > >
    > > The kit is cisco (not quite sure which) and there are VLANs, VRFs, MPLS
    > > implemented.
    > > with RSTP and MST. Actually I am not quite sure what Multiple Spanning
    > > Tree means, cos if you have lotsa VPNs I suppose you have lotsa STP
    > > and/or RSTP as well.
    > >
    > > Sooo, I was wondering why one might want to identify blocked ports in a
    > > (R)STP environment?
    > > And if blocked ports are useful to know about maybe we need to know
    > > about root ports as well?
    > >
    > > But my main question is can someone identify a MIB that has blocked
    > > ports for (R)STP within or a URL to checkout myself (Fine Manuals read
    > > wit enthusiasm!).
    > > Or identify a case when blocked ports are not visible as I suppose MPLS
    > > must hide a few things now and again.
    > >
    > > Thanx in advance for your help!
    > >
    > > Ton

    > Hi I only just skimmed your question: stp & rstp are there to block
    > ports when you have multiple links going from and to the same place. it
    > decides which is the better link and uses that and shuts down the other
    > as to avoid split horizon.
    >
    > you can run 'sh span ?' on the switch to see what commands you have
    > available.. it varys switch to switch. there are listening, forwarding
    > and blocking states.
    >
    > Flamer.

    Thanx flamer!
    How can I identify the blocked ports using SNMP?
    ton de w, Jul 31, 2006
  4. ton de w

    Tim Vee

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Hi ,

    If your router implements the BRIDGE-MIB, you can use the "dot1dStpPortState" object. See the dot1StpPortTable for more details.

    Tim Vincent
    Unleash Networks
    http://www.unleashnetworks.com
    Tim Vee, Aug 6, 2006