SPAN traffic loss

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by ramialhasan, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. ramialhasan

    ramialhasan Guest

    I am monitoring traffic of a voice VLAN of the Cisco IPCC, thru a
    SPANning VLAN traffic to my server's network port.

    After dumping IP calls voice traffic into files, most of the calls are
    ok, but say 10% of calls has about one minute of lost voice packets.
    from the middle of the call.

    The API I am using to sniff the traffic has no packet loss on its
    buffer, so I doubt that something is lost from the switch side.

    The switch has more than 80 IP phones connected to it. The voice
    traffic is huge. So what is the possiblity of having the loss from SPAN
    side, I mean that the switch is not catching up with the traffic so it
    does not pass all packets.

    If this is possible ? How can I measure it? or how can I know that it
    is hapenning? and Is there a solution.

    Regards,
    Rami
    ramialhasan, Jun 29, 2004

  2. "ramialhasan" <> wrote in news:cbrl4t
    $:

    > If this is possible ? How can I measure it? or how can I know that it
    > is hapenning? and Is there a solution.

    If you get the raw RTP messages, you might be able to see some evidence of
    this in missing sequence numbers. RTP messages are numbered sequentially in
    a call, so if there's a huge gap between some numbers, they must be lost.

    --
    Andreas
    Andreas Sikkema, Jun 29, 2004