    from the bounces.

    Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is impossible to ddos

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Collector»NZ

    Shane Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name
    > in the from
    >
    > What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    > traffic from the bounces.
    >
    > Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is impossible
    > to ddos

    Joe jobbed is a PITA aint it. There isnt a lot you can do, that I'm aware
    of, save find the person(s) responsible ring their necks.
    I normally see around 40 bounces a night in my spam catcher, and I report
    them as spam (fuckers :)) And thats about as much as I can do
    Shane, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Collector»NZ

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 12:49:28 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name in
    > the from
    >
    > What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge traffic
    > from the bounces.
    >
    > Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is impossible to ddos

    Snipers rifle from 400m sounds like a good idea to me. :)
    El Chippy, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Collector»NZ

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:13:38 +1300, El Chippy
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 12:49:28 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name in
    >> the from
    >>
    >> What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge traffic
    >> from the bounces.
    >>
    >> Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is impossible to ddos

    >Snipers rifle from 400m sounds like a good idea to me. :)

    Or, if you like it nice a personal, a baseball bat ...
    Donchano, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Shane wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name
    >> in the from
    >>
    >> What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    >> traffic from the bounces.
    >>
    >> Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is impossible
    >> to ddos

    > Joe jobbed is a PITA aint it. There isnt a lot you can do, that I'm aware
    > of, save find the person(s) responsible ring their necks.
    > I normally see around 40 bounces a night in my spam catcher, and I report
    > them as spam (fuckers :)) And thats about as much as I can do

    40 a night, if only, try about 10 a minute at the moment, I think they are
    dictionary sending as well as using a list that is unverified

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Collector»NZ

    Peter Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name
    > in the from
    > What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    > traffic from the bounces.

    Spam is bad news for everyone.

    I was getting heaps of bounced emails, but these were all returning to
    non-existant accounts (ie when there is no user xyz). So,
    the mail server is now set to drop all emails except those sent to a real
    address. These addresses still get some spam, but much lower quantities
    and none of the returning email messages.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Jan 6, 2007
  7. Collector»NZ

    Tony Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name
    >> in the from
    >> What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    >> traffic from the bounces.

    > Spam is bad news for everyone.
    >
    > I was getting heaps of bounced emails, but these were all returning to
    > non-existant accounts (ie when there is no user xyz). So,
    > the mail server is now set to drop all emails except those sent to a real
    > address. These addresses still get some spam, but much lower quantities
    > and none of the returning email messages.

    Yes, I'm afraid the days of a "catchall" are at an end thanks to the
    spammers. We have had to reconfigure most customers domains to only
    accept real addresses (remove the catchall) over the last few months.
    Tony, Jan 6, 2007
  8. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name
    >> in the from
    >>
    >> What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    >> traffic from the bounces.
    >>
    >> Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is impossible
    >> to ddos

    > Joe jobbed is a PITA aint it. There isnt a lot you can do, that I'm aware
    > of, save find the person(s) responsible ring their necks.
    > I normally see around 40 bounces a night in my spam catcher, and I report
    > them as spam (fuckers :)) And thats about as much as I can do

    Why report them as SPAM? In general bounces are from legit mail servers
    that have received SPAM with your address.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2007
  9. Collector»NZ

    Shane Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain
    >>> name in the from
    >>>
    >>> What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    >>> traffic from the bounces.
    >>>
    >>> Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is
    >>> impossible to ddos

    >> Joe jobbed is a PITA aint it. There isnt a lot you can do, that I'm
    >> aware
    >> of, save find the person(s) responsible ring their necks.
    >> I normally see around 40 bounces a night in my spam catcher, and I report
    >> them as spam (fuckers :)) And thats about as much as I can do
    >>

    > Why report them as SPAM? In general bounces are from legit mail servers
    > that have received SPAM with your address.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Unsolicited mail,
    Back scatter is just as much of a problem as the spam itself. The funny
    thing is, the mail they received with my domain name, would not (unless
    forged) have my ip in the src field
    Shane, Jan 6, 2007
  10. In message <enn88p$g8$>, Shane wrote:

    > The funny thing is, the mail they received with my domain name, would not
    > (unless forged) have my ip in the src field

    How would they know which IP addresses you're going to send mail from?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007
  11. Collector»NZ

    Shane Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <enn88p$g8$>, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> The funny thing is, the mail they received with my domain name, would not
    >> (unless forged) have my ip in the src field

    > How would they know which IP addresses you're going to send mail from

    They certainly know how to find the mail server to send the back scatter to

    And wouldnt the src ip be the mail servers, and not the clients
    Shane, Jan 6, 2007
  12. Collector»NZ

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain
    >>> name
    >>> in the from
    >>> What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    >>> traffic from the bounces.

    >> Spam is bad news for everyone.
    >>
    >> I was getting heaps of bounced emails, but these were all returning to
    >> non-existant accounts (ie when there is no user xyz).
    >> So,
    >> the mail server is now set to drop all emails except those sent to a real
    >> address. These addresses still get some spam, but much lower quantities
    >> and none of the returning email messages.
    >>

    > Yes, I'm afraid the days of a "catchall" are at an end thanks to the
    > spammers. We have had to reconfigure most customers domains to only
    > accept real addresses (remove the catchall) over the last few months.

    I have had to do the same my self by by catch all! It was nice to have
    one at least I could garrentee I got all mail sent to me. now the
    problem is the false positives out number the face negatives my spam box
    has become like my inbox so now email has become a dead horse that is
    not worth flogging!

    Robert Cooze, Jan 6, 2007
  13. If you are running your own mail server you can implement BATV maybe

    Any email sent out, the MAIL FROM is changed to have a BATV signature so if
    you get a bounce back which is not to a BATV signed RCPT TO then it never
    came from your mail server and you can just reject it at the RCPT TO level
    instead of accepting it all the way to the DATA level.

    Its becoming more and more wide spread and most open source mail servers
    have some type of implemention of it.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jan 6, 2007
  14. "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    > If you are running your own mail server you can implement BATV maybe

    BTW.. sorry for the top posting..

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 6, 2007
  15. In message <459ff35e$>, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > now the problem is the false positives out number the [false] negatives...

    What spam filter are you using? I have set up SpamAssassin for two clients,
    and that has been working quite well.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007
  16. Enkidu wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain
    >>> name
    >>> in the from
    >>>
    >>> What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    >>> traffic from the bounces.
    >>>
    >>> Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is
    >>> impossible
    >>> to ddos

    >> Joe jobbed is a PITA aint it. There isnt a lot you can do, that I'm
    >> aware
    >> of, save find the person(s) responsible ring their necks. I normally
    >> see around 40 bounces a night in my spam catcher, and I report
    >> them as spam (fuckers :)) And thats about as much as I can do
    >>

    > Why report them as SPAM? In general bounces are from legit mail servers
    > that have received SPAM with your address.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I used to strip out the bounce and report the orignal to spam cop but it got a
    bit repetitive, now I filter them and get on with it

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Jan 6, 2007
  17. Collector»NZ

    Rob Guest

    > So dirty spammer is doing a spam run at the moment forging my domain name
    > in the from
    >
    > What is the best way to deal with this pest I am getting hit with huge
    > traffic from the bounces.
    >
    > Track him down and ddos, nah probably using a bot net which is impossible
    > to ddos
    > --
    > >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    > | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Remove your 'catchall' email address.
    Rob, Jan 7, 2007