spammer doesn't like his own medicine

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    David, Aug 18, 2003

  2. David

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:53:24 +1200, "David" <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3518682&thesection=news&thesubsection=general
    >
    >Whether Mr. Atkinson really is closing down the operation that given him a
    >nice house and car is someone doubtful, the taste of money is surely too
    >sweet. At very worse he will resurface under a different name, different
    >registered address etc. Then of course there is the matter of his million
    >plus address list...

    I for one believe that is his plan.
    Bret, Aug 18, 2003

  3. AGHHH, we need to get this person locked down, so he cant get hold of
    computers....

    DIE SPAM!!!

    Daniel Farley, Aug 18, 2003
  4. David wrote:

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3518682&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

    > Whether Mr. Atkinson really is closing down the operation that given
    > him a nice house and car is someone doubtful...

    Well as he said...

    "I'll just stick to search engines and web sites - that's still plenty of
    fun and money."

    Perhaps it's time he did start taking his penis enlarging pills, to
    compensate.

    Most curiously, he also said

    "I have already banned my 5-year-old from answering the phone,"

    Welcome to the world buddy. I've banned my kids from downloading their email
    by themselves, I have to vet it, because of the stupid crap spammers who
    send emails about penis enlarging pills to my kids.

    What a wanker. Oh hang on, he needs to take the pills first to do that.
    Robert Mathews, Aug 18, 2003
  5. David

    RK Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3518682&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

    > Whether Mr. Atkinson really is closing down the operation that given him a
    > nice house and car is someone doubtful, the taste of money is surely too
    > sweet. At very worse he will resurface under a different name, different
    > registered address etc. Then of course there is the matter of his million

    Never trust a spammer. Filthy bunch of scum.
    RK, Aug 18, 2003
  6. David

    SNOman Guest

    "path" <> wrote in message news:...

    > > Why don't you just put some filters in place so that they can only

    receive
    > > email from people they have in their address book.

    > Why should we have to?

    I agree that we shouldn't have to but as you cannot stop spam it sure beats
    getting upset about it
    SNOman, Aug 18, 2003
  7. David

    back again Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: spammer doesn't like his own medicine
    > From: "SNOman" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >

    > "path" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Why don't you just put some filters in place so that they can only

    > receive
    >> > email from people they have in their address book.

    >> Why should we have to?
    >>

    > I agree that we shouldn't have to but as you cannot stop spam it sure
    > beats getting upset about it

    It is only practical if you are a basic computer user (or loner).

    People who have a job that involves a lot of communication with email do
    not have the luxury of being able to have "white lists" that only let
    emails from known users through.
    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  8. On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:28:42 +1200, SNOman wrote:

    > Why don't you just put some filters in place so that they can only
    > receive email from people they have in their address book.

    A number of circulating viruses have attempted to mail the contents of the
    address books for any mail software installed on the computer to a
    dropbox.

    The only plausible explanation for this is address harvesting, and finding
    commonalities.

    Once a spammer has that, he can just spoof mail envelopes from people in
    your addressbooks. There's already enough bandwidth avaialbale via trojan
    proxy nets that they can afford to do this. :-(

    Thank BillyGoat's MessyDog for this state of affairs.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 19, 2003
  9. David

    SNOman Guest

    "back again" <> wrote in message
    > "SNOman" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Subject: Re: spammer doesn't like his own medicine
    > > From: "SNOman" <>
    > > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    > >

    > > "path" <> wrote in message

    > > receive
    > >>
    > >> Why should we have to?
    > >>

    > > I agree that we shouldn't have to but as you cannot stop spam it sure
    > > beats getting upset about it

    > It is only practical if you are a basic computer user (or loner).
    >
    > People who have a job that involves a lot of communication with email do
    > not have the luxury of being able to have "white lists" that only let
    > emails from known users through.

    Agreed, but my suggestion was in response to the original post concerning a
    parent having to be present while kids open their email because of penis
    enlarging spam etc etc
    SNOman, Aug 19, 2003
  10. In article <Xns93DC9D347798Bbacknowherecom@130.133.1.4>, back again <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Fair enough, though they might start to wonder why aunt Nellie and dear
    >Jason (or whoever their relatives are) never contacted them :)
    >
    >White lists are almost a guarantee of frustration.

    Agreed. I know one person with one ... and they don't get any email from me
    any more - I gave up the first time they lost their list and wanted me to
    'register as a good person' again. Not my problem :)

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 19, 2003
  11. David

    back again Guest

    back again, Aug 19, 2003
  12. David

    m00se Guest

    Who is this wrote:
    > In article <bhrgea$mdr$>,
    > "SNOman" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Why don't you just put some filters in place so that they can only receive
    >>email from people they have in their address book.

    > Why the hell should we ?
    > That is saying that victimising children is acceptable and they have to
    > hide and no become victims.

    Which is happening to the spammers kids... but thats apparently ok.

    The behaviour or half you self proclaimed 'anti-spammers' at times far
    exceeds the self centered nature of spammers.
    m00se, Aug 20, 2003
  13. David

    Julian Visch Guest

    back again wrote:

    > "SNOman" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Subject: Re: spammer doesn't like his own medicine
    >>From: "SNOman" <>
    >>Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >>

    >>"path" <> wrote in message

    >>receive

    >>>Why should we have to?
    >>>

    >>I agree that we shouldn't have to but as you cannot stop spam it sure
    >>beats getting upset about it
    >>

    > It is only practical if you are a basic computer user (or loner).
    >
    > People who have a job that involves a lot of communication with email do
    > not have the luxury of being able to have "white lists" that only let
    > emails from known users through.

    Not true, I ban all email which contain html or special characters
    (Tiawan), Tos that don't include my email address, posts from *.nz get
    through, you just need to study patterns in the junk, e.g. delete any
    saying Enlargement, Friend, urgent.
    Julian Visch, Aug 20, 2003
  14. On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:24:04 +1200, m00se wrote:

    >> Why the hell should we ?
    >> That is saying that victimising children is acceptable and they have to
    >> hide and no become victims.

    > Which is happening to the spammers kids... but thats apparently ok.
    >
    > The behaviour or half you self proclaimed 'anti-spammers' at times far
    > exceeds the self centered nature of spammers.

    Almsot all the abuse Shane Atkinson is taking is coming from people local
    to him. I've been informed he's now effectively persona non-gratia at the
    creche his kids attend.

    As far as most parents are concerned, he's as bad as any pedophile out
    there and that he uses his kids as a shield makes them even angrier.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 20, 2003
  15. David

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    Julian Visch <> wrote:

    > Not true, I ban all email which contain html or special characters
    > (Tiawan), Tos that don't include my email address, posts from *.nz get
    > through, you just need to study patterns in the junk, e.g. delete any
    > saying Enlargement, Friend, urgent.

    The whole point is though that email is not free. It is built into your
    monthly ISP fees. So filter it, white list it do what ever...you are
    STILL paying for it.

    I wonder how you would feel if your mail box (the one on the street)
    cost you to get the mail out of it...only to find there were 20 bits of
    junk mail, you'd get pissed off I am sure.
    Who is this, Aug 20, 2003
  16. David

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:

    > As far as most parents are concerned, he's as bad as any pedophile out
    > there and that he uses his kids as a shield makes them even angrier.

    GOOD, maybe he will discover that parents are pissed off with arsehole
    like himeself who indiscriminantly post porn to children. hope his wife
    can't take the stress and she leaves him taking 1/2 his ill gotten gains
    with her....then let the bastard jump off something really tall.
    Who is this, Aug 20, 2003
  17. David

    m00se Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > Almsot all the abuse Shane Atkinson is taking is coming from people local
    > to him. I've been informed he's now effectively persona non-gratia at the
    > creche his kids attend.
    >
    > As far as most parents are concerned, he's as bad as any pedophile out
    > there and that he uses his kids as a shield makes them even angrier.

    Yip, and all these parents out there, who are placing threats against
    him, obviously think his children dont deserve the right to safety that
    they are trying to gain for their own...

    No ones saying he isnt as bad as a pedophile, but vigilantism has never
    worked.
    m00se, Aug 20, 2003
  18. On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:35:21 +1200, m00se <>
    wrote:

    >Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >>
    >> Almsot all the abuse Shane Atkinson is taking is coming from people local
    >> to him. I've been informed he's now effectively persona non-gratia at the
    >> creche his kids attend.
    >>
    >> As far as most parents are concerned, he's as bad as any pedophile out
    >> there and that he uses his kids as a shield makes them even angrier.
    >>

    >Yip, and all these parents out there, who are placing threats against
    >him, obviously think his children dont deserve the right to safety that
    >they are trying to gain for their own...
    >
    >No ones saying he isnt as bad as a pedophile, but vigilantism has never
    >worked.

    And now the Aussies seem to be legislating against cyber-vigilantism.
    I've written a piece about this new law in today's Aardvark.

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 20, 2003
  19. On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:59:56 +1200, Who is this wrote:

    > The whole point is though that email is not free. It is built into your
    > monthly ISP fees. So filter it, white list it do what ever...you are
    > STILL paying for it.
    >
    > I wonder how you would feel if your mail box (the one on the street)
    > cost you to get the mail out of it...only to find there were 20 bits of
    > junk mail, you'd get pissed off I am sure.

    This will get you pissed off.

    Assuming 0.1c/message to handle mail (your costs, the ISP costs, your
    time, everything), 100 million messages/day is about $100k/day of other
    people's money used by Shane Atkinson to promote his product.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 21, 2003
  20. David

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>, m00se <>
    wrote:

    > Yip, and all these parents out there, who are placing threats against
    > him, obviously think his children dont deserve the right to safety that
    > they are trying to gain for their own...

    one can argue that applies to putting people in prison too, the children
    suffer.
    Who is this, Aug 21, 2003