Spammed by "NZ Notify"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Who Am I, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Who Am I

    Who Am I Guest

    Message sent to spamcop

    Tracking message source: 202.154.143.242:
    Routing details for 202.154.143.242
    [refresh/show] Cached whois for 202.154.143.242 :

    Using abuse net on
    abuse net actrix.gen.nz =
    Using best contacts

    Tracking link: http://www.nznotify.com
    [report history]
    Resolves to 202.191.37.1
    Routing details for 202.191.37.1
    [refresh/show] Cached whois for 202.191.37.1 :
    Using last resort contacts

    NZ Notify....F*CK 0FF
    Who Am I, Feb 12, 2006

  2. "Who Am I" <> wrote in message
    > Message sent to spamcop
    >
    > Tracking message source: 202.154.143.242:
    > Routing details for 202.154.143.242
    > [refresh/show] Cached whois for 202.154.143.242 :
    >
    > Using abuse net on
    > abuse net actrix.gen.nz =
    > Using best contacts

    Please send me a copy of the email

    Thanks
    Craig
    http://www.spam.co.nz
    Craig Whitmore, Feb 12, 2006

  3. "Who Am I" <> wrote in message
    > Message sent to spamcop

    It looks like nznotify is just a New Company.. maybe using "spam" to market
    themselves.
    I had a similar problem with http://www.healthykiwi.co.nz (see
    http://www.spam.co.nz/healthykiwiconz.html)

    I got a reply from them saying they where sorry asking me for the email
    address so they can remove it (washlisting)
    It was strange when they said the email was a one off.

    And in part, their response was:

    "We obtained an email list of individuals potentially wishing to advertise
    on
    our site from reputable sources. In good faith we sent a 'one off' email.
    As we are aware of the Spam issue we attempted, to the very best of our
    abilities, not to email individuals or businesses not genuinely interested
    in employing our services."

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Who Am I

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <43ef98cc$>,
    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    > "Who Am I" <> wrote in message
    > > Message sent to spamcop
    > >
    > > Tracking message source: 202.154.143.242:
    > > Routing details for 202.154.143.242
    > > [refresh/show] Cached whois for 202.154.143.242 :
    > >
    > > Using abuse net on
    > > abuse net actrix.gen.nz =
    > > Using best contacts
    > >

    > Please send me a copy of the email

    Sent to your orcon address as above as source so it shows full headers
    etc.
    Who Am I, Feb 12, 2006
  5. This is the Response from NZNotify:

    "Most of the people I emailed do not know me. I never said I did know them.
    got their emails from friends who have emailed me message and had these
    people's email addresses in the same message because they are assumably
    friends, relatives or colleagues of my friends (who I have emailed) at the
    same time."

    So the emails where spam in my opinion..

    Thanks
    Craig
    Talking For Myself
    Craig Whitmore, Feb 13, 2006
  6. Who Am I

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <43f02ee7$>,
    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    > This is the Response from NZNotify:
    >
    > "Most of the people I emailed do not know me. I never said I did know them.
    > got their emails from friends who have emailed me message and had these
    > people's email addresses in the same message because they are assumably
    > friends, relatives or colleagues of my friends (who I have emailed) at the
    > same time."
    >
    > So the emails where spam in my opinion..
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    > Talking For Myself

    yep, the tosser is harvesting email addresses for the puposes of
    spamming people.

    NZ notify... you are firewalled.
    whoisthis, Feb 13, 2006
  7. Who Am I

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:52:14 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > This is the Response from NZNotify:
    >
    > "Most of the people I emailed do not know me. I never said I did know them.
    > got their emails from friends who have emailed me message and had these
    > people's email addresses in the same message because they are assumably
    > friends, relatives or colleagues of my friends (who I have emailed) at the
    > same time."
    >
    > So the emails where spam in my opinion..

    Of course.

    Is this idiot not aware if the illegal nature of his actions under the
    Privacy Act ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #409 +(4383)- [X]

    <DaZE> at my school.. the cop from DARE passed around 3 joints to show
    everyone... and he said "if i dont get all three of these back this schools
    getting locked down and everyones getting searched till i find it.." and
    like 30 minutes later when everyone got to see 'em and they got passed back
    the cop had 4

    Note: All my comments are copyright 13/02/2006 8:20:40 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Feb 14, 2006

  8. >>
    >> So the emails where spam in my opinion..

    > Of course.
    >
    > Is this idiot not aware if the illegal nature of his actions under the
    > Privacy Act ?

    Can you point me to the direction of the act where this kind of thing
    could be illegal?

    I'm pretty sure if he did this when Spam laws where in affect he
    could be charged IMHO (IANAL).

    (and hes still doing it AFAIK)

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Feb 14, 2006
  9. Who Am I

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <43f24e57$>,
    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    > >> So the emails where spam in my opinion..

    > > Of course.
    > >
    > > Is this idiot not aware if the illegal nature of his actions under the
    > > Privacy Act ?

    > Can you point me to the direction of the act where this kind of thing
    > could be illegal?
    >
    > I'm pretty sure if he did this when Spam laws where in affect he
    > could be charged IMHO (IANAL).
    >
    > (and hes still doing it AFAIK)
    >
    > Thanks

    I asked internal Affairs, they have not responded, but it seems to me
    the only people who can complain to them about being spammed by the NZer
    are ISPs.

    This may make life easier for them, but unworkable for the rest of us.
    Who Am I, Feb 14, 2006

  10. >> Thanks

    > I asked internal Affairs, they have not responded, but it seems to me
    > the only people who can complain to them about being spammed by the NZer
    > are ISPs.

    There is nothing illegal about spamming in NZ (Yet).

    Craig Whitmore, Feb 14, 2006

  11. >
    > Depends where they got their data for the email list from. If it was a
    > source where that use was not mentioned when the data was collected, it is
    > my understanding that that breaks some of the privacy rules (unless the
    > sources are public of course). If they bought some kind of list, that's
    > probably breaking the same rules.

    NZNotify said they got the addresses (that I knew that people complained
    from)
    from emails they had been sent before.. IF Person A CC's 20 people..
    And then Person B who got the email knows the other 19 people's email
    addresses, so he added them all to the list to email his spam.

    http://www.spam.co.nz/nznotifyresponse.txt

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Feb 14, 2006
  12. In article <43f266c7$>, "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:
    >>> Thanks

    >> I asked internal Affairs, they have not responded, but it seems to me
    >> the only people who can complain to them about being spammed by the NZer
    >> are ISPs.
    >>

    >There is nothing illegal about spamming in NZ (Yet).

    Depends where they got their data for the email list from. If it was a
    source where that use was not mentioned when the data was collected, it is
    my understanding that that breaks some of the privacy rules (unless the
    sources are public of course). If they bought some kind of list, that's
    probably breaking the same rules.

    Personally, I'd settle for getting telecon to stop selling my phone number
    to telemarketers :) :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 15, 2006
  13. In article <43f2692f$>, "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:
    >> Depends where they got their data for the email list from. If it was a
    >> source where that use was not mentioned when the data was collected, it is
    >> my understanding that that breaks some of the privacy rules (unless the
    >> sources are public of course). If they bought some kind of list, that's
    >> probably breaking the same rules.
    >>

    >NZNotify said they got the addresses (that I knew that people complained
    >from)
    >from emails they had been sent before.. IF Person A CC's 20 people..
    >And then Person B who got the email knows the other 19 people's email
    >addresses, so he added them all to the list to email his spam.

    Unfortunately that would be OK I suspect.
    <sigh> ... yet another good reason to use bcc :)

    It is important (of course) to point out to idiots that spam, that it's only
    NOT spam if we have asked for it ... not "not asked not to get it" :)

    <sigh>

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 15, 2006
  14. Who Am I

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:34:20 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Unfortunately that would be OK I suspect.

    Um, no. No it would not.

    The person who sent him an email with all the other addresses cc'd did not
    have permission to do so from the information owners, and also did not give
    the spammer permission to use it.

    Both are required under the Act.

    --

    .... Brendan

    So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can you
    give me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your
    oyster, go for it.'

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/02/2006 9:59:56 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Feb 16, 2006
  15. Who Am I

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:30:47 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> Is this idiot not aware if the illegal nature of his actions under the
    >> Privacy Act ?

    > Can you point me to the direction of the act where this kind of thing
    > could be illegal?
    >
    > I'm pretty sure if he did this when Spam laws where in affect he
    > could be charged IMHO (IANAL).
    >
    > (and hes still doing it AFAIK)

    The Privacy Act.

    Specifically, he has to be able to show he has permission to have a
    person's private information - which would include an email address.

    The act is quite specific on what constitutes permission, and seeing
    someone's address in a list would not be it.

    Basically, there has to be a conscious, explicit form of informed consent.
    He obviously does not have that.

    Read the Act Craig, it's available on line. It's useful for a great many
    things.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #352172 +(3726)- [X]

    <NHBoy> I broke my G-string while fingering a minor :(
    <rycool> ...
    <NHBoy> I was trying to play Knocking on Heaven's Door.
    <NHBoy> Oh well, time to buy new strings.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/02/2006 7:22:41 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Feb 16, 2006
  16. In article <>, Brendan <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:34:20 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately that would be OK I suspect.

    >Um, no. No it would not.
    >
    >The person who sent him an email with all the other addresses cc'd did not
    >have permission to do so from the information owners, and also did not give
    >the spammer permission to use it.
    >
    >Both are required under the Act.

    So I thought ... but I have complained previously about something similar
    (company using data gathered ages ago to spam by mail) and was told that was
    'probably ok" (IIRC :) ).
    That said, I am still surprised at how many
    individuals/companies/organisations send stuff to lists in the To field and
    not in Bcc. :)

    Personally, I'd settle for telescum not selling my phone number to
    telemarketers after being asked to stop - as I've said before. :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 20, 2006
  17. Who Am I

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:28:06 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately that would be OK I suspect.

    >>Um, no. No it would not.
    >>
    >>The person who sent him an email with all the other addresses cc'd did not
    >>have permission to do so from the information owners, and also did not give
    >>the spammer permission to use it.
    >>
    >>Both are required under the Act.

    > So I thought ... but I have complained previously about something similar
    > (company using data gathered ages ago to spam by mail) and was told that was
    > 'probably ok" (IIRC :) ).

    Well, not understanding the details of what and how, if it was anything
    like spamming in certain key points then I would say the law is very
    explicit.

    Any information - ANY - of a personally indentifiable nature must have
    permission for it to be used.

    > That said, I am still surprised at how many
    > individuals/companies/organisations send stuff to lists in the To field and
    > not in Bcc. :)

    Incompetence.

    Believe it or not, there are some idiots right here in this newsgroup who
    think these companies should have more say in your life, or even be running
    the country!

    They think that's capitalism.

    I KNOW it's stupidity.

    > Personally, I'd settle for telescum not selling my phone number to
    > telemarketers after being asked to stop - as I've said before. :)

    Who are you to question our masters ? I for one welcome our new overlords!
    ;)

    Or atleast that is how Gattung's wet dreams go...

    --

    .... Brendan

    #334331 +(5153)- [X]

    <LordChewy> so my dad found my porn folder
    <LordChewy> and he was getting all pissed
    <LordChewy> so its all like "does this surprise you? i'm not stupid you
    know"
    <LordChewy> "i know dad"
    <LordChewy> "what do you have to say for yourself?"
    <LordChewy> at this point i stare at him straight in the eyes and say
    "C:Documents and SettingsRickyMy Documentsfaxessent faxes"
    <LordChewy> and he just shut up
    <kingKahn> what is it?
    <LordChewy> its his porn folder

    Note: All my comments are copyright 21/02/2006 1:32:07 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Feb 20, 2006
  18. In article <>, Brendan <> wrote:
    >>>Um, no. No it would not.
    >>>The person who sent him an email with all the other addresses cc'd did not
    >>>have permission to do so from the information owners, and also did not give
    >>>the spammer permission to use it.
    >>>
    >>>Both are required under the Act.

    >> So I thought ... but I have complained previously about something similar
    >> (company using data gathered ages ago to spam by mail) and was told that was
    >> 'probably ok" (IIRC :) ).

    >Well, not understanding the details of what and how, if it was anything
    >like spamming in certain key points then I would say the law is very
    >explicit.
    >
    >Any information - ANY - of a personally indentifiable nature must have
    >permission for it to be used.
    >
    >> That said, I am still surprised at how many
    >> individuals/companies/organisations send stuff to lists in the To field and
    >> not in Bcc. :)

    >Incompetence.

    More charitably, I consider it a lack of training. At least the first time.

    >Believe it or not, there are some idiots right here in this newsgroup who
    >think these companies should have more say in your life, or even be running
    >the country!
    >They think that's capitalism.
    >I KNOW it's stupidity.

    Um ... quite.

    >> Personally, I'd settle for telescum not selling my phone number to
    >> telemarketers after being asked to stop - as I've said before. :)

    >Who are you to question our masters ? I for one welcome our new overlords!
    >;)

    LOL. :)
    It's what I do. :) When systems leave no room for (supposedly common) sense,
    I'll be there :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 21, 2006
  19. Who Am I

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:17:08 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> Personally, I'd settle for telescum not selling my phone number to
    >>> telemarketers after being asked to stop - as I've said before. :)

    >>Who are you to question our masters ? I for one welcome our new overlords!
    >>;)

    > LOL. :)
    > It's what I do. :) When systems leave no room for (supposedly common) sense,
    > I'll be there :)

    Fight the good fight ;)

    --

    Note: All my comments are copyright 21/02/2006 5:26:38 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.