Spamlist blackhole.compu.net now returning 100% FALSE POSITIVES

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Fred Dagg, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Hi, all.

    This is an urgent message to those using blackhole.compu.net as a DNS
    SPAM Blacklist. It was a default list in ORFilter, as well as other
    lists.

    It appears that this DNS black list ceased operation a couple of years
    ago, and the owners are now returning a FALSE POSITIVE RESULT for all
    requests. This means that ALL mail will be being blocked as SPAM if
    you are blocking SPAM based on this list.

    I don't know how many this will affect, but we were using a default
    setup in ORFilter, and it was in there.

    I found an obscure reference to a threat by the owner of this list
    here: http://tinyurl.com/ayj87. What a w&^ker.

    Anyway, if you are using this list, and all of a sudden all your mail
    is being blocked, blame this Bill Larson fellow.

    It is of serious concern that someone like that can, and is prepared
    to, prevent your mail server from operating correctly as simply as
    that.

    I'd be interested to know how widespread this is.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Fred Dagg

    Holgi Guest

    Hi there,

    he got me too!
    :-(
    I'm administrating a network since 2 month on my own. the person who
    did that before was more handy than me so I trusted him, but this was a
    real mistake from him. Mail is that important, I had checked each BL
    twice before I had trusted it. But as you say, it was default-setting
    from ORfilter.

    so, what I'm going to do now is, testing all of my Blacklists :)

    ciao Holgi

    Holgi, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Fred Dagg

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > This is an urgent message to those using blackhole.compu.net as a DNS
    > SPAM Blacklist. It was a default list in ORFilter, as well as other
    > lists.
    >
    > It appears that this DNS black list ceased operation a couple of years
    > ago, and the owners are now returning a FALSE POSITIVE RESULT for all
    > requests. This means that ALL mail will be being blocked as SPAM if
    > you are blocking SPAM based on this list.
    >
    > I don't know how many this will affect, but we were using a default
    > setup in ORFilter, and it was in there.
    >
    > I found an obscure reference to a threat by the owner of this list
    > here: http://tinyurl.com/ayj87. What a w&^ker.

    Doesn't sound like that to me, just a guy who doesn't see why he should
    pay for all the traffic his domain is still getting from morons.

    > Anyway, if you are using this list, and all of a sudden all your mail
    > is being blocked, blame this Bill Larson fellow.
    >
    > It is of serious concern that someone like that can, and is prepared
    > to, prevent your mail server from operating correctly as simply as
    > that.

    Bulldust. No such thing. The mail servers in question are looking up his
    server that does not exist.
    Rob J, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 01:25:33 +1300, Rob J <>
    exclaimed:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi, all.
    >>
    >> This is an urgent message to those using blackhole.compu.net as a DNS
    >> SPAM Blacklist. It was a default list in ORFilter, as well as other
    >> lists.
    >>
    >> It appears that this DNS black list ceased operation a couple of years
    >> ago, and the owners are now returning a FALSE POSITIVE RESULT for all
    >> requests. This means that ALL mail will be being blocked as SPAM if
    >> you are blocking SPAM based on this list.
    >>
    >> I don't know how many this will affect, but we were using a default
    >> setup in ORFilter, and it was in there.
    >>
    >> I found an obscure reference to a threat by the owner of this list
    >> here: http://tinyurl.com/ayj87. What a w&^ker.

    >Doesn't sound like that to me, just a guy who doesn't see why he should
    >pay for all the traffic his domain is still getting from morons.
    >

    >> Anyway, if you are using this list, and all of a sudden all your mail
    >> is being blocked, blame this Bill Larson fellow.
    >>
    >> It is of serious concern that someone like that can, and is prepared
    >> to, prevent your mail server from operating correctly as simply as
    >> that.

    >Bulldust. No such thing. The mail servers in question are looking up his
    >server that does not exist.

    If his server didn't exist, there wouldn't be a problem.

    You'd think that this would be a preferable solution to sending false
    positives.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Fred Dagg

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 01:25:33 +1300, Rob J <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi, all.
    > >>
    > >> This is an urgent message to those using blackhole.compu.net as a DNS
    > >> SPAM Blacklist. It was a default list in ORFilter, as well as other
    > >> lists.
    > >>
    > >> It appears that this DNS black list ceased operation a couple of years
    > >> ago, and the owners are now returning a FALSE POSITIVE RESULT for all
    > >> requests. This means that ALL mail will be being blocked as SPAM if
    > >> you are blocking SPAM based on this list.
    > >>
    > >> I don't know how many this will affect, but we were using a default
    > >> setup in ORFilter, and it was in there.
    > >>
    > >> I found an obscure reference to a threat by the owner of this list
    > >> here: http://tinyurl.com/ayj87. What a w&^ker.

    > >Doesn't sound like that to me, just a guy who doesn't see why he should
    > >pay for all the traffic his domain is still getting from morons.
    > >

    > >> Anyway, if you are using this list, and all of a sudden all your mail
    > >> is being blocked, blame this Bill Larson fellow.
    > >>
    > >> It is of serious concern that someone like that can, and is prepared
    > >> to, prevent your mail server from operating correctly as simply as
    > >> that.

    > >Bulldust. No such thing. The mail servers in question are looking up his
    > >server that does not exist.

    > If his server didn't exist, there wouldn't be a problem.
    >
    > You'd think that this would be a preferable solution to sending false
    > positives.

    Sending false positives will force the brain dead admins to get their
    act together.
    Rob J, Dec 21, 2005