Spam

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tracker, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Tracker

    Tracker Guest

    Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    definition.

    Tracker
     
    Tracker, Sep 5, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tracker

    Eirik Seim Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:56:13 +0400, Tracker wrote:
    > Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    > definition.


    Speaking of definitions, I read about a nice one:

    "This is not a spam mail because I have provided no web urls"

    Now, your (Tracker, Debbie) messages are _not wanted_, and speaking for
    at least comp.security.firewalls, not even on topic[1]. In addition to
    keep posting these posts with information we don't want (partly because
    it's stupid, partly because it could be harmful for those who try
    following your advice, but mostly because you keep repeating it all the
    time), you also advertise your "book". You want to sell your "book".

    Please understand that I write "book" instead of book because it is
    not beeing printed like other books, but as far as I understand only
    published on CD-ROM media.

    So, you want to sell your "book". You keep posting "samples" from your
    "book" to several newsgroups, and you always include a "web url". That,
    Debbie, is considered spam. It could might as well have been about
    penis enlargments or MORTGAGE RATES ARE STILL DOWN! It's spam.

    Spam, spam, spam. Now, please stop.


    - Eirik

    1. Can anyone show me _any_ positive response to Debbies posts at
    Usenet?
    --
    New and exciting signature!
     
    Eirik Seim, Sep 6, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:56:13 +0400, Tracker spoketh

    >Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    >definition.
    >
    >Tracker


    From Dictionary.com :

    spam ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sp m)
    n.
    Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately
    to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.
    ---

    Now, you "advertising" your "book", which is a commercial item (for
    sale) are clearly fitting within that definition.


    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
    (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
     
    Lars M. Hansen, Sep 6, 2003
    #3
  4. Tracker Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <>:

    > Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    > definition.


    I did, at the sites hosting your spew. Have you? With comprehension?

    NOI


    --
    Your on ignore, talk to yourself. - Tracker the loon, to the user
    named Nasty

     
    Thund3rstruck, Sep 6, 2003
    #4
  5. Tracker

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:56:13 +0400, Tracker spoketh
    >
    > >Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    > >definition.
    > >
    > >Tracker

    >
    > From Dictionary.com :
    >
    > spam ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sp m)
    > n.
    > Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately
    > to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.
    > ---
    >
    > Now, you "advertising" your "book", which is a commercial item (for
    > sale) are clearly fitting within that definition.


    What do you want to bet that she doesn't know that you use email to post
    to usenet (port 25 SMTP) servers - unless you are using a web interface.


    --
    --

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
     
    Leythos, Sep 6, 2003
    #5
  6. Tracker

    Frode Guest

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Leythos wrote:
    > What do you want to bet that she doesn't know that you use email to post
    > to usenet (port 25 SMTP) servers - unless you are using a web interface.
    >


    Intentional error?

    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.2

    iQA/AwUBP1onlOXlGBWTt1afEQJeqQCfaR6R6Prv+OGDhcekmkrMcuIDTmgAoOkn
    2DUIIghn1m3hhSnzQdrtRm4G
    =KOmu
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
     
    Frode, Sep 6, 2003
    #6
  7. > Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    > definition.


    You post perfect spam. Live with it.
     
    Thore Schmechtig, Sep 6, 2003
    #7
  8. Tracker

    Leythos Guest

    In article <3f5a2833$>,
    says...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > What do you want to bet that she doesn't know that you use email to post
    > > to usenet (port 25 SMTP) servers - unless you are using a web interface.
    > >

    >
    > Intentional error?


    What do you mean "Intentional error?" I don't understand you may mean in
    this.

    --
    --

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
     
    Leythos, Sep 6, 2003
    #8
  9. Tracker

    The Saint Guest

    Frode wrote:

    >-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    >Hash: SHA1
    >
    >Leythos wrote:
    >> What do you want to bet that she doesn't know that you use email to post
    >> to usenet (port 25 SMTP) servers - unless you are using a web interface.
    >>

    >
    >Intentional error?


    I thought so at first, but past posts indicate he probably really
    thinks NNTP uses SMTP. Kind of like his post claiming that alt.*
    groups don't have Charters. Or, hell, maybe he's trying to confuse
    Debbie. However, it's been proven that the best way to confuse Debbie
    is to present her with facts.
     
    The Saint, Sep 6, 2003
    #9
  10. Tracker

    Leythos Guest

    In article <-p.com>, -
    c.pbz says...
    > Frode wrote:
    >
    > >-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > >Hash: SHA1
    > >
    > >Leythos wrote:
    > >> What do you want to bet that she doesn't know that you use email to post
    > >> to usenet (port 25 SMTP) servers - unless you are using a web interface.
    > >>

    > >
    > >Intentional error?

    >
    > I thought so at first, but past posts indicate he probably really
    > thinks NNTP uses SMTP. Kind of like his post claiming that alt.*
    > groups don't have Charters. Or, hell, maybe he's trying to confuse
    > Debbie. However, it's been proven that the best way to confuse Debbie
    > is to present her with facts.


    Nope, I use Gravity News reader and it has always PULLED on 119 and SENT
    on 25... Even Netscape and several others do that. I'm open to being
    wrong, but I never thought that 119 was bidirectional in that manner.

    If I've had it wrong all these years I would love to know.

    --
    --

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
     
    Leythos, Sep 6, 2003
    #10
  11. The Saint Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <-p.com>:

    > I thought so at first, but past posts indicate he probably really
    > thinks NNTP uses SMTP. Kind of like his post claiming that alt.*
    > groups don't have Charters. Or, hell, maybe he's trying to confuse
    > Debbie. However, it's been proven that the best way to confuse
    > Debbie is to present her with facts.


    Lol. Yup. I can see it now. "Don't confuse me with facts!" <G>

    NOI
     
    Thund3rstruck, Sep 6, 2003
    #11
  12. Tracker

    Tracker Guest

    Eirik Seim wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:56:13 +0400, Tracker wrote:
    > > Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    > > definition.

    >
    > Speaking of definitions, I read about a nice one:
    >
    > "This is not a spam mail because I have provided no web urls"
    >
    > Now, your (Tracker, Debbie) messages are _not wanted_, and speaking for
    > at least comp.security.firewalls, not even on topic[1]. In addition to
    > keep posting these posts with information we don't want (partly because
    > it's stupid, partly because it could be harmful for those who try
    > following your advice, but mostly because you keep repeating it all the
    > time), you also advertise your "book". You want to sell your "book".
    >
    > Please understand that I write "book" instead of book because it is
    > not beeing printed like other books, but as far as I understand only
    > published on CD-ROM media.
    >
    > So, you want to sell your "book". You keep posting "samples" from your
    > "book" to several newsgroups, and you always include a "web url". That,
    > Debbie, is considered spam. It could might as well have been about
    > penis enlargments or MORTGAGE RATES ARE STILL DOWN! It's spam.
    >
    > Spam, spam, spam. Now, please stop.
    >
    > - Eirik
    >
    > 1. Can anyone show me _any_ positive response to Debbies posts at
    > Usenet?
    > --
    > New and exciting signature!


    If you don't want to read my posts, learn to use a killfile and grow up.
    There is no mention of payment on my website. If a user wants to learn more
    about what is in my book, they can e-mail me and this is not considered
    "spam". For one, if you don't want to learn about my book to begin with
    "then don't bother to go to my website"; it's as simple as that. Thanks for
    the entertainment.

    BTW- I'll be talking with this author in a few days to see if their name can
    be given out.

    Tracker
     
    Tracker, Sep 6, 2003
    #12
  13. Tracker

    Frode Guest

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Leythos wrote:
    >>>> What do you want to bet that she doesn't know that you use email to
    >>>> post to usenet (port 25 SMTP) servers - unless you are using a web
    >>>> interface.
    >>> Intentional error?

    >> I thought so at first, but past posts indicate he probably really
    >> thinks NNTP uses SMTP. Kind of like his post claiming that alt.*

    > Nope, I use Gravity News reader and it has always PULLED on 119 and SENT
    > on 25...


    That may be your understanding, but it is not reality unless you're using
    some odd mail->usenet gateway. Highly unlikely. It probably has the ability
    to answer a post directly to the person that posted. That's done via mail,
    thus the use of port 25. That's only for direct mail replies though, not
    for when you send a follow-up post. That's done via 119.

    > Even Netscape and several others do that.


    Er, no. You're confusing its email client with its nntp client.

    > I'm open to being wrong


    Excellent. Best way to learn. If only we could convince Tracker of that.

    > but I never thought that 119 was bidirectional in that manner.
    > If I've had it wrong all these years I would love to know.


    You have. Have a look at the RFC if you don't want to take my word for it.
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc977.html


    - --
    Frode


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.2

    iQA/AwUBP1pbROXlGBWTt1afEQK7MwCgqg/WIdfxP56KY0KMh+Yj9Y6wkPUAnAoo
    GZ8BdXQ3YmmBSxpT+YNWqBBA
    =IauO
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
     
    Frode, Sep 6, 2003
    #13
  14. On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:34:50 GMT, Leythos spoketh

    >
    >Nope, I use Gravity News reader and it has always PULLED on 119 and SENT
    >on 25... Even Netscape and several others do that. I'm open to being
    >wrong, but I never thought that 119 was bidirectional in that manner.
    >
    >If I've had it wrong all these years I would love to know.
    >
    >--


    NNTP is used for both reading and writing.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
    (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
     
    Lars M. Hansen, Sep 6, 2003
    #14
  15. Tracker

    Leythos Guest

    In article <3f5a5bfb$>,
    says...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Leythos wrote:

    [snip]
    > Er, no. You're confusing its email client with its nntp client.
    >
    > > I'm open to being wrong

    >
    > Excellent. Best way to learn. If only we could convince Tracker of that.
    >
    > > but I never thought that 119 was bidirectional in that manner.
    > > If I've had it wrong all these years I would love to know.

    >
    > You have. Have a look at the RFC if you don't want to take my word for it.
    > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc977.html


    I had always thought it used SMTP to post to the NNTP server. I had
    never read about it, or tried to find out, just assumed - you know what
    they say about assuming something.

    Thanks for the info - in all that I do I should have checked that one.

    --
    --

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
     
    Leythos, Sep 7, 2003
    #15
  16. Tracker

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:34:50 GMT, Leythos spoketh
    >
    > >
    > >Nope, I use Gravity News reader and it has always PULLED on 119 and SENT
    > >on 25... Even Netscape and several others do that. I'm open to being
    > >wrong, but I never thought that 119 was bidirectional in that manner.
    > >
    > >If I've had it wrong all these years I would love to know.
    > >
    > >--

    >
    > NNTP is used for both reading and writing.


    Looks like I learned something tonight - thanks for the info you two
    (the previous post also said this).

    Mark

    --
    --

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
     
    Leythos, Sep 7, 2003
    #16
  17. Tracker

    ozzy Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:34:50 GMT, Leythos spoketh
    > >
    > > >
    > > >Nope, I use Gravity News reader and it has always PULLED on 119 and

    SENT
    > > >on 25... Even Netscape and several others do that. I'm open to being
    > > >wrong, but I never thought that 119 was bidirectional in that manner.
    > > >
    > > >If I've had it wrong all these years I would love to know.
    > > >
    > > >--

    > >
    > > NNTP is used for both reading and writing.

    >
    > Looks like I learned something tonight - thanks for the info you two
    > (the previous post also said this).
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > --
    > --
    >
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)


    You aren't the only one :) I learnt something new too. Thanks all. Just
    proves what Einstein said ...." when I die I will have used only one-tenth
    of my total brain potential.... we are constantly learning....." I guess
    more people should realize that ANYONE can learn new stuff.
    ozzy
     
    ozzy, Sep 7, 2003
    #17
  18. Tracker <"snailmail(remove/valid)222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news::

    > Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    > definition.
    >
    > Tracker
    >


    A quick look at the AUP of your NNTP posting host reveals the following:


    "Pac-West Telecomm, Inc.'s Acceptable Use Policy ("Policy") specifies the
    actions prohibited by Pac-West Telecomm, Inc. ("Pac-West") to users of
    the Pac-West Network and is designed to help protect Pac-West, Pac-West's
    customers and the Internet community in general from irresponsible or, in
    some cases, illegal activities. Use of Pac-West's Network after posting
    this Policy or any changes thereafter shall be considered acceptance of
    the Policy. Pac-West reserves the right to amend, revise or modify the
    Policy at any time in its sole and absolute discretion in any manner,
    effective upon posting of the modified Policy to this website. The Policy
    is a non-exclusive list of the actions prohibited by Pac-West.

    1. General Conduct
    Pac-West's Network may be used only for lawful purposes and in accordance
    with all international, federal, state and local laws, tariffs,
    ordinances and regulations. Users may not use Pac-West's Network and
    services in order to transmit, distribute or store any material (Note:
    the following list is not exhaustive of restrictions) (a) in violation of
    any applicable law or regulation as aforesaid; (b) in a manner that
    infringes the copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual
    property rights of others without proper authorization; (c) that is
    fraudulent, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, harassing,
    abusive or hateful, contains an illegal threat, violates export control
    laws or contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse, or other harmful component;
    (d) that contains fraudulent offers for goods or services or any
    promotional materials that contain false, deceptive or misleading
    statements, claims or representations; (e) that violates or infringes on
    the rights or dignity of others (e.g. hate speech; threats of physical
    violence; sexually oriented material that is offensive or inappropriate);
    or (f) that may expose Pac-West or any of its personnel to criminal or
    civil liability."

    And further on the page:

    "4. E-mail
    Sending unsolicited mail messages, including, without limitation, bulk or
    unsolicited commercial advertising; "junk mail" and informational
    announcements ("Spam"), is explicitly prohibited. A user shall not use
    another site's mail server to relay mail without the express permission
    of the site. Other prohibited activities include: (a) repeated,
    unsolicited and/or unwanted communications of an intrusive nature which
    are excessive and/or are intended to harass or annoy others; (b) posting
    or e-mailing of scams such as "make money fast" schemes or Pyramid/chain
    letters; (c) making fraudulent offers of products, items or services; (d)
    mailing malicious e-mail, including, without limitation, "mail bombing;"
    and (e) continue to send e-mail messages to a recipient that has
    indicated that he/she does not wish to receive them.

    5. Usenet and Chat
    Posting the same or similar message to one or more newsgroups (excessive
    cross-posting or multiple-posting, also known as "SPAM") is explicitly
    prohibited. The user may have access through Pac-West to search engines,
    subscription web services, chat areas, bulletin boards, web pages,
    Usenet, or other services that promulgate rules, guidelines or agreements
    to govern their use. Users must become familiar with and adhere to any
    such rules, guidelines, and agreements. "

    Having read about "your spam" I for one will continue to complain every
    time you post anyhting related to your alleged "book".
     
    no nym selected, Sep 7, 2003
    #18
  19. Tracker

    Mimic Guest

    "Tracker" <"snailmail(remove/valid)222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If you don't want to read my posts, learn to use a killfile and grow up.
    > There is no mention of payment on my website. If a user wants to learn

    more
    > about what is in my book, they can e-mail me and this is not considered
    > "spam". For one, if you don't want to learn about my book to begin with
    > "then don't bother to go to my website"; it's as simple as that. Thanks

    for
    > the entertainment.
    >
    > BTW- I'll be talking with this author in a few days to see if their name

    can
    > be given out.
    >
    > Tracker
    >


    I see you removed your sig tracker, looks like you do listen on occasions.
    And no, killfiling you wont work, because as we all know you morph to avoid
    killfilters as has been evident in the past.


    --
    Mimic

    "Without Knowledge you have fear, With fear you create your own nightmares."
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary,
    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"
     
    Mimic, Sep 7, 2003
    #19
  20. Tracker

    John Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:51:24 +0400, Tracker
    <"snailmail(remove/valid)222000"@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >
    >
    >Eirik Seim wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:56:13 +0400, Tracker wrote:
    >> > Before you people go complaining about my spam, first read up the
    >> > definition.

    >>
    >> Speaking of definitions, I read about a nice one:
    >>
    >> "This is not a spam mail because I have provided no web urls"
    >>
    >> Now, your (Tracker, Debbie) messages are _not wanted_, and speaking for
    >> at least comp.security.firewalls, not even on topic[1]. In addition to
    >> keep posting these posts with information we don't want (partly because
    >> it's stupid, partly because it could be harmful for those who try
    >> following your advice, but mostly because you keep repeating it all the
    >> time), you also advertise your "book". You want to sell your "book".
    >>
    >> Please understand that I write "book" instead of book because it is
    >> not beeing printed like other books, but as far as I understand only
    >> published on CD-ROM media.
    >>
    >> So, you want to sell your "book". You keep posting "samples" from your
    >> "book" to several newsgroups, and you always include a "web url". That,
    >> Debbie, is considered spam. It could might as well have been about
    >> penis enlargments or MORTGAGE RATES ARE STILL DOWN! It's spam.
    >>
    >> Spam, spam, spam. Now, please stop.
    >>
    >> - Eirik
    >>
    >> 1. Can anyone show me _any_ positive response to Debbies posts at
    >> Usenet?
    >> --
    >> New and exciting signature!

    >
    >If you don't want to read my posts, learn to use a killfile and grow up.
    >There is no mention of payment on my website. If a user wants to learn more
    >about what is in my book, they can e-mail me and this is not considered
    >"spam". For one, if you don't want to learn about my book to begin with
    >"then don't bother to go to my website"; it's as simple as that. Thanks for
    >the entertainment.
    >
    >BTW- I'll be talking with this author in a few days to see if their name can
    >be given out.
    >
    >Tracker


    SPAM. Period. Has nothing to do with "growing up". UNSOLICITED.
    Trying to interest someone in something you offer. You're just
    another spammer. No need to killfile, you're actually quite amusing
    in your attempts to defend yourself. I'd hate to miss the rest of
    this thread. You're doomed by your ignorance anyway, so why should I
    worry about your future?

    J
     
    John, Sep 9, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Stefano
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    4,427
    Moz Champion
    Feb 9, 2005
  2. SW Monkey
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    2,064
  3. C A Preston

    Spam-Spam and more Spam

    C A Preston, Apr 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    625
    Hywel
    Apr 12, 2004
  4. nota chance

    in the valley of spam stupidity on spam removing

    nota chance, Aug 8, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    544
    Blinky the Shark
    Aug 8, 2004
  5. Clwddncr
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    714
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Feb 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page