SPA3102+wireless router configuration

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. I'm planning to deploy an SPA3102 with a wireless router on an NTL cable
    connection. What would be the best way to configure them? I was thinking:

    Cable modem <--> SPA3102 <--> Wireless router <--> network clients

    That'd be best for QoS. The SPA3102 can put itself in a DMZ, but presumably
    that'd mean having two IP addresses, one for SPA and one for wireless router
    (NTL don't provide this)? Or both the SPA and router can do NAT. Are any
    applications broken by having to go through double-NAT? I'd have to fiddle
    around so network clients could get at the SPA3102 control panel (since both
    SPA and router would be on 192.168.*.*, I'd have to make sure they were on
    different subnets).

    The alternative would be to hang the SPA3102 off a LAN-side port on the
    router:

    Cable modem <--> wireless router <--> SPA3102
    +------------> network clients

    but then it couldn't do QoS (the router doesn't have support for it). Might
    not be a problem as the network is lightly trafficked. But it would be nice
    to do things properly.

    Has anyone done this before and can recommend what to do?

    Thanks
    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 17, 2007

  2. Theo Markettos

    Sinna Guest

    Theo Markettos wrote:
    > I'm planning to deploy an SPA3102 with a wireless router on an NTL cable
    > connection. What would be the best way to configure them? I was thinking:
    >
    > Cable modem <--> SPA3102 <--> Wireless router <--> network clients
    >
    > That'd be best for QoS. The SPA3102 can put itself in a DMZ, but presumably
    > that'd mean having two IP addresses, one for SPA and one for wireless router
    > (NTL don't provide this)? Or both the SPA and router can do NAT. Are any
    > applications broken by having to go through double-NAT? I'd have to fiddle
    > around so network clients could get at the SPA3102 control panel (since both
    > SPA and router would be on 192.168.*.*, I'd have to make sure they were on
    > different subnets).
    >
    > The alternative would be to hang the SPA3102 off a LAN-side port on the
    > router:
    >
    > Cable modem <--> wireless router <--> SPA3102
    > +------------> network clients
    >
    > but then it couldn't do QoS (the router doesn't have support for it). Might
    > not be a problem as the network is lightly trafficked. But it would be nice
    > to do things properly.
    >
    > Has anyone done this before and can recommend what to do?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Theo

    I have the first setup you mentioned up and running smoothly at home.
    I didn't have to tweak anything about DMZ and stuff.
    The modem has IP 10.0.0.138 (default),
    The SPA3102 has 10.0.0.139 on the modem side, 192.168.0.1 on the
    wireless side
    The wireless router has 192.168.0.2 on the SPA-side, 192.168.50.1 on the
    client side.
    In my HOSTS-file I have entered the following (air-code!):
    10.0.0.138 Thomson
    192.168.0.1 Linksys
    192.168.50.1 Medion

    and this works like a charm.
    The only thing I had to do was changing the network range of my wireless
    router. I assume you just change the network range of your SPA3102.

    Sinna

    Sinna, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Theo Markettos

    Mike Sun Guest

    "Sinna" <> wrote in message
    > Theo Markettos wrote:
    >>
    >> The alternative would be to hang the SPA3102 off a LAN-side port on the
    >> router:
    >>
    >> Cable modem <--> wireless router <--> SPA3102
    >> +------------> network clients
    >>
    >> but then it couldn't do QoS (the router doesn't have support for it).
    >> Might
    >> not be a problem as the network is lightly trafficked. But it would be
    >> nice
    >> to do things properly.
    >>
    >> Has anyone done this before and can recommend what to do?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Theo

    > I have the first setup you mentioned up and running smoothly at home.
    > I didn't have to tweak anything about DMZ and stuff.
    > The modem has IP 10.0.0.138 (default),
    > The SPA3102 has 10.0.0.139 on the modem side, 192.168.0.1 on the wireless
    > side
    > The wireless router has 192.168.0.2 on the SPA-side, 192.168.50.1 on the
    > client side.
    > In my HOSTS-file I have entered the following (air-code!):
    > 10.0.0.138 Thomson
    > 192.168.0.1 Linksys
    > 192.168.50.1 Medion
    >
    > and this works like a charm.
    > The only thing I had to do was changing the network range of my wireless
    > router. I assume you just change the network range of your SPA3102.
    >
    > Sinna

    I have the second setup mentioned, also working very smoothly with no QOS
    and the SPA3102 running in simple Bridge mode. No real voice quality issues
    even whilst downloading a big file on a minimum 2 Meg Virgin Media cable
    service.

    Cheers from Mike

    Mike Sun, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Mike Sun <> wrote:
    > I have the second setup mentioned, also working very smoothly with no QOS
    > and the SPA3102 running in simple Bridge mode. No real voice quality issues
    > even whilst downloading a big file on a minimum 2 Meg Virgin Media cable
    > service.

    Thanks, that's useful to know. The second setup is at least less intrusive,
    which is why it's attractive.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 20, 2007
  5. Theo Markettos