    both these devices are getting good notices in this group. Which is
    better for UK use? Any views please?
    --

    Alastair, Jan 18, 2007

  2. Alastair

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Alastair" <aj_not_budge@not_errichel.not.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:cKmY5sgscQd5-pn2-YdmZhjsXzts6@asusa7v
    > I am based in UK and just starting to look at hardware.
    > Seems to me both these devices are getting good notices
    > in this group. Which is better for UK use? Any views
    > please?

    Well I like the Fritz!Box range due to their ability to hold details of up
    to 10 SIP accounts, don't think the SPA does this..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Alastair

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:02:16 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Alastair" <aj_not_budge@not_errichel.not.co.uk> wrote in
    >message news:cKmY5sgscQd5-pn2-YdmZhjsXzts6@asusa7v
    >> I am based in UK and just starting to look at hardware.
    >> Seems to me both these devices are getting good notices
    >> in this group. Which is better for UK use? Any views
    >> please?

    >Well I like the Fritz!Box range due to their ability to hold details of up
    >to 10 SIP accounts, don't think the SPA does this..?
    >
    >Ivor

    They are quite different animals.
    A voip Fritzbox can also be a multi-output router (depending on the
    model). It may also have up to 3 outputs for different phone lines.
    As I understand it, but Ivor is the expert, the Fritzbox can place
    calls with appropriate providers, according to number type, as do the
    SPA series but it is necessary to include a code, in th edialling
    string, to switch lines (I think) - no doubt Ivor will correct me if
    I am wrong on this - anyway, it is not quite so 'dialler' friendly as
    the SPAs.

    The SPA-3102 is similar to the SPA-3000 but has a single LAN output.
    This permits the ATA to be placed between a modem and a computer
    without having to purchase a separate router. The SPA series use a
    very flexible 'dial plan' system to determine which provider,
    including landline, is used to place a call depending on th enumber
    that is dialled.There is only ONE incoming line but a possiblity of 5
    outgoing providers.

    output(s LAN) than the SPA-3102 but it is not quite so good at
    automatic routing as the SPA series that have a dial plan.

    I would say that if you already have a router and only need one
    incoming line go for the SPA-3102, otherwise go for a Fritzbox that
    suits your needs. I would guess that if you have a router you can
    either connect the SPA-3102 to one of the LAN connections (easiest)
    or, as a preference, connect it between the modem and router but set
    DMZ up, on the SPA-3102 with the router's IP in the DMZ settings -
    this is to avaoid double NATting. I have never set up a '3102, only a
    '3000 so I am guessing as to how I would go about it.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 18, 2007
  4. Alastair

    Yaz Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote >>
    >>Well I like the Fritz!Box range due to their ability to hold details of up
    >>to 10 SIP accounts, don't think the SPA does this..?

    Doe this meant that the SPA3102 can only have one incomming number? Can I
    not have sipgate as well as FWD or Voipcheap?

    Can the AVMFritzbox be used with NTL Broadband via cable I have an Ambit
    cable modem at the moment.

    Yaz

    Yaz, Jan 18, 2007
  5. Alastair

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:03:14 GMT, "Yaz"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote >>
    >>>Well I like the Fritz!Box range due to their ability to hold details of up
    >>>to 10 SIP accounts, don't think the SPA does this..?

    >Doe this meant that the SPA3102 can only have one incomming number? Can I
    >not have sipgate as well as FWD or Voipcheap?

    You can certainly have all those providers as OUTGOING providers but
    only one can be incoming. This is UNLESS you use Voxalot as your
    incoming/outgoing main provider. Then you can put all your
    incoming/outgoing providers, as you choose, on Voxalot and your calls
    will be routed appropriately.
    If you only need ONE incoming number then the SPA-3102 will work well
    for you as it stands.

    >Can the AVMFritzbox be used with NTL Broadband via cable I have an Ambit
    >cable modem at the moment.

    I do believe that the ADSL modem can be effectively disabled and you
    just use the router part and connect it to a cable modem. There are
    several types of Fritzboxes. You need to be most careful before you
    buy one to ensure that it is the one you want. I'd send an email to
    the vendor to check on the cable connection aspect. Check that the
    model number is exactly what you want, there are variations. Further,
    you need and ' Annex A' model for the UK.
    On Broadbandstuff it usually states clearly whether a device can be
    used on cable or not.
    e.g.
    AVM FritzBox Fon WLAN VOIP Router
    This router will work with an ADSL or Cable Broadband connection

    I note that voiptalk now charge the same as Broadbandstuff for this
    particular Fritzbox.
    Enter 'Fritzbox' in Google and click Froogle.

    Brian A, Jan 18, 2007
  6. Alastair

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > You can certainly have all those providers as OUTGOING
    > providers but only one can be incoming. This is UNLESS
    > you use Voxalot as your incoming/outgoing main provider.
    > Then you can put all your incoming/outgoing providers, as
    > you choose, on Voxalot and your calls will be routed
    > appropriately.
    > If you only need ONE incoming number then the SPA-3102
    > will work well for you as it stands.

    This is where the Fritz!Box scores - all the accounts can be made to ring
    any or all of the connected phones. It's not so easy to configure a
    particular account for an outgoing call, although it can be done (albeit
    not with the same flexibility as the SPA), but you can dial a prefix code
    to select a specific account. If you have a phone with several
    programmable buttons (I use BT Converse 1200's as I got a few cheap off
    eBay..!) then you can program memory buttons to select a specific account
    to dial out on.

    > > Can the AVMFritzbox be used with NTL Broadband via
    > > cable I have an Ambit cable modem at the moment.

    Yes, but you lose one of the LAN ports.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 19, 2007
  7. Alastair

    Yaz Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote
    > You can certainly have all those providers as OUTGOING providers but
    > only one can be incoming. This is UNLESS you use Voxalot as your
    > incoming/outgoing main provider. Then you can put all your
    > incoming/outgoing providers, as you choose, on Voxalot and your calls
    > will be routed appropriately.

    Does this mean that if I buy an SPA3102 and use voxalot for incomming I can
    have several incomming numbers? I am trying to achieve several incomming
    numbers eg 0116, 0161,01322, FWD, Voipcheap. I dont mind having reduced
    outgoing providors.

    I feel the AVM is a bit more complicated and difficult to set up and ease of
    dialing rather than SPA3102.
    Yaz

    Yaz, Jan 19, 2007
  8. Alastair

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:42:27 GMT, "Yaz"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote
    >> You can certainly have all those providers as OUTGOING providers but
    >> only one can be incoming. This is UNLESS you use Voxalot as your
    >> incoming/outgoing main provider. Then you can put all your
    >> incoming/outgoing providers, as you choose, on Voxalot and your calls
    >> will be routed appropriately.

    >Does this mean that if I buy an SPA3102 and use voxalot for incomming I can
    >have several incomming numbers? I am trying to achieve several incomming
    >numbers eg 0116, 0161,01322, FWD, Voipcheap. I dont mind having reduced
    >outgoing providors.
    >
    >I feel the AVM is a bit more complicated and difficult to set up and ease of
    >dialing rather than SPA3102.
    >Yaz

    From what Ivor has said in the past I don't think that the Fritzbox is
    very difficult to set up, but, in answer to your question, YES, it is
    possible to have lots of incoming and outgoing providers if you use
    Voxalot. The only disadvantage is that you are relying on Voxalot not
    going down - it is another link in the chain. Having said that I
    think that Voxalot is reasonably reliable.
    If you don't want more than 4 outgoing providers (+PSTN if you have
    it) I would program those on the SPA and then use Voxalot as your main
    incoming/outgoing provider. Voxalot is very flexible in what it allows
    you to do.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 19, 2007