    volume on PSTN calls on the SPA3000. Can anyone who has used the
    SPA3102 tell me whether it suffers from this problem or not?

    Oldie

    Oldie, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Oldie

    Paul Guest

    Oldie wrote:
    > I've been toying with the idea of combining my PSTN & VOIP lines
    > through one ATA, but I seem to remember reading that some users had low
    > volume on PSTN calls on the SPA3000. Can anyone who has used the
    > SPA3102 tell me whether it suffers from this problem or not?
    >
    > Oldie

    Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
    altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
    able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
    high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
    applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
    some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
    cancellers.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Oldie

    Oldie Guest

    Paul wrote:

    (snipped)

    > Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
    > altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
    > able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
    > high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
    > applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
    > some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
    > cancellers.

    So if I understand you correctly this will apply equally to the 3000
    and the 3102? Since I already have a router with QOS the built-in
    router in the 3102 is superfluous to my requirements. Will I then be
    just as well off technically (and better off financially) in buying a
    3000?

    Oldie

    Oldie, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Oldie

    Paul Guest

    Oldie wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    > (snipped)
    >
    >> Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
    >> altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
    >> able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
    >> high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
    >> applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
    >> some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
    >> cancellers.

    > So if I understand you correctly this will apply equally to the 3000
    > and the 3102? Since I already have a router with QOS the built-in
    > router in the 3102 is superfluous to my requirements. Will I then be
    > just as well off technically (and better off financially) in buying a
    > 3000?
    >
    > Oldie

    Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
    buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
    should be the same price.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Oldie

    Oldie Guest

    Paul wrote:

    (snipped)

    > Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
    > buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
    > should be the same price.
    >
    > cheers,
    > Paul.

    Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
    router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
    1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?

    Alternatively if I replace my existing router will the connections be:

    ADSL filter ->SPA 3102 ->switch ->LAN ?

    Can't seem to get my head round this one, and I haven't found a simple
    schematic for it anywhere. A confusing factor (to me anyway) is that
    the Linksys documentation uses the terms "Ethernet port" and "Internet
    port", which I presume equate to LAN and WAN ports respectively.

    Oldie

    Oldie, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Oldie

    Jono Guest

    Oldie explained :
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    > (snipped)
    >
    >> Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
    >> buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
    >> should be the same price.
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> Paul.

    > Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
    > router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
    > 1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?

    More or less. I can't remember if the WAN port is plugged into your
    router's LAN port & the SPA's LAN port is ignored......or the other way
    around.

    > Alternatively if I replace my existing router will the connections be:
    >
    > ADSL filter ->SPA 3102 ->switch ->LAN ?

    No, it doesn't have an ADSL modem in, so it would have to be

    ADSL filter -> ADSL Modem with ethernet out ->SPA 3102 ->switch ->LAN

    Jono, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Oldie

    Anna Langley Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Oldie explained :
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>
    >> (snipped)
    >>
    >>> Yes that applies to both the 3000 and the 3102. You might as well just
    >>> buy a 3102 even if you don't need the router functionality as they
    >>> should be the same price.
    >>>
    >>> cheers,
    >>> Paul.

    >> Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
    >> router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
    >> 1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?

    > More or less. I can't remember if the WAN port is plugged into your
    > router's LAN port & the SPA's LAN port is ignored......or the other way
    > around.

    Plug the ethernet cable into the one marked "Internet" and you're there.

    Anna

    Anna Langley, Sep 29, 2006
  8. Oldie

    Oldie Guest

    Anna Langley wrote:
    > Jono wrote:
    >
    > > Oldie explained :
    > >> Paul wrote:
    > >>
    > >> (snipped)

    > >> Thanks Paul. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I disable the
    > >> router? Do I just connect the LAN port to my switch (as my current SPA
    > >> 1001 is) and ignore the WAN port completely?

    > > More or less. I can't remember if the WAN port is plugged into your
    > > router's LAN port & the SPA's LAN port is ignored......or the other way
    > > around.

    > Plug the ethernet cable into the one marked "Internet" and you're there.
    >
    > Anna

    Thanks all!

    Oldie

    Oldie, Sep 30, 2006
  9. Oldie

    Paul Guest

    Oldie wrote:
    > Anna Langley wrote:
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oldie explained :

    >>> More or less. I can't remember if the WAN port is plugged into your
    >>> router's LAN port & the SPA's LAN port is ignored......or the other way
    >>> around.

    >> Plug the ethernet cable into the one marked "Internet" and you're there.
    >>
    >> Anna

    > Thanks all!
    >
    > Oldie

    Yes plug the WAN/Internet port into your existing router and just ignore
    the LAN/Ethernet port on the SPA-3102. No need to actually disable
    anything, just ignore it.

    The only problem is you'll have to temporarily plug a PC into the
    LAN/Ethernet port to be able to access the web interface to configure
    the SPA-3102 as you can't access it using the WAN port by default. Once
    you are in there is a setting to enable configuration using the WAN port.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul, Oct 2, 2006
  10. Oldie

    Oldie Guest

    I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
    Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
    as one of your outgoing providers?

    I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
    via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
    between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
    specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.

    Oldie

    Oldie, Oct 3, 2006
  11. Oldie

    Jono Guest

    Oldie wrote :
    > I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
    > Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
    > as one of your outgoing providers?

    You can, yes. Even to the point of saying only a particular number
    should be dialled over the PSTN (or VoIP)

    > I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
    > via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
    > between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
    > specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.

    If you're going to use a proviedr such as voip.co.uk, you could
    actually choose to present your PSTN number on your VoIP line.

    Jono, Oct 3, 2006
  12. Oldie

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Oldie" <> wrote in message
    > I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just
    > struck me. Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP
    > or can you specify PSTN as one of your outgoing providers?
    >
    > I have a specific requirement for a particular
    > destination to be called via my PSTN line (probably
    > through the Orchid dialler which will sit between the
    > 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
    > specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone
    > set.
    >
    > Oldie

    The AVM Fritz!Box range can do this; either a prefix (for example 0870) or
    a particular number can be made to route via any specified account or the
    PSTN line.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 3, 2006
  13. Oldie

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Oldie wrote:
    > I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
    > Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
    > as one of your outgoing providers?
    >
    > I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
    > via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
    > between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
    > specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.
    >
    > Oldie

    Yes, send the number to gateway 0 (gw0) just add it to your dila plan

    Ian Pawson, Oct 3, 2006
  14. Oldie

    Oldie Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Oldie wrote :
    > > I think I'm almost ready to order, but a thought has just struck me.
    > > Can you only make outgoing calls through VoIP or can you specify PSTN
    > > as one of your outgoing providers?

    > You can, yes. Even to the point of saying only a particular number
    > should be dialled over the PSTN (or VoIP)

    Thanks for your help (and to everyone else - again!)

    > > I have a specific requirement for a particular destination to be called
    > > via my PSTN line (probably through the Orchid dialler which will sit
    > > between the 3102 and the line). If it needs an access code, I can
    > > specify this in the short code dialling of the telephone set.
    > >

    > If you're going to use a proviedr such as voip.co.uk, you could
    > actually choose to present your PSTN number on your VoIP line.

    Yes, I already do this on Voipfone.

    Oldie

    Oldie, Oct 4, 2006
  15. Oldie

    Oldie Guest

    Paul wrote:

    (snipped)

    > Changing the FXS impedance to the UK spec of "370+620||310nF" and
    > altering the VoIP-PSTN gateway/PSTN-VoIP gateway gain levels should be
    > able to solve that. It's a balancing act between getting the volume
    > high enough without introducing echo on some or all calls. The same
    > applies to most VoIP equipment connected to analogue lines although in
    > some cases with the more expensive VoIP cards you get built-in echo
    > cancellers.

    Well, I took the plunge and bought one. Having got lots of good advice
    from you good folks I was up and running quickly. So far so good; I
    have all my providers set up and working and the PSTN line rings.
    However, I get no CLI (or CID as Linksys call it) on incoming PSTN
    calls. I have googled a bit and found that some people have had a
    similar problem, while for others it seems to be OK.

    That leads me to believe that it must be doable, so does anybody have
    any idea of the settings that I need to change to achieve this? (I have
    already changed the Caller ID Method under the Regional Tab
    (Miscellaneous) to "ETSI FSK With PR(UK)" and the VOIP CID works fine).

    Oldie

    Oldie, Oct 7, 2006
  16. Oldie

    Oldie Guest

    Oldie wrote:

    (snipped)

    > Well, I took the plunge and bought one. Having got lots of good advice
    > from you good folks I was up and running quickly. So far so good; I
    > have all my providers set up and working and the PSTN line rings.
    > However, I get no CLI (or CID as Linksys call it) on incoming PSTN
    > calls. I have googled a bit and found that some people have had a
    > similar problem, while for others it seems to be OK.
    >
    > That leads me to believe that it must be doable, so does anybody have
    > any idea of the settings that I need to change to achieve this? (I have
    > already changed the Caller ID Method under the Regional Tab
    > (Miscellaneous) to "ETSI FSK With PR(UK)" and the VOIP CID works fine).

    More bad netiquette in replying to my own posts, but I managed to solve
    the CLI problem. All I had to do was to upgrade to version 3.2.10,
    available from the Linksys site, and it worked straight away. I thought
    I'd post this follow-up in case anyone else in the UK facing the same
    problem googles for it.

    Oldie

    Oldie, Oct 10, 2006